The open Slide Guitar thead....

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by so1om, May 7, 2018.

1. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Great thread, been playing guitar for 40 years and finally decided to try some slide, even though I have owned one for years.

I am using a green glass bottle beck slide, not sure of make, but it fits and I like it. Mostly using my Oscar Schmidt Delta King that I added some Kent Armstrong P90's to, raised the action a bit but not to where I can't barre a chord. Right now messing with open E. Digging it a lot.

so1om and wonkenstein like this.
  2. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah Papa Joe, Roy also played slide on TV appearances with the heel of his boot (still wearing the boot and standing up). I'd seen him do the mic stand slide, too. But like you, I was awe-struck watching and hearing him play on live TV. Duets with Glen Campbell were always a treat, too.

mb doug and so1om like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I did that once, looking for good wine bottle slide necks and small glass liquor bottles to use as bridges on diddly bows. It turned out he manager of the store had taken guitar lessons from the same guy I did back in the 80's. It was a good time reminiscing about our former teacher who had died a few years before.

The bow on the right came out of that conversation...

[​IMG]

And, while I'm posting pics, here are just a few of my slides...

[​IMG]

fattboyzz, mb doug, so1om and 2 others like this.
  4. Undone

Undone Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    Virginia
    I remember watching Roy Clarke and Buck Owens every Saturday night at my nannie's house. Right after Lawrence Welk :D

squierplayer and SoundDesign like this.
  5. Undone

Undone Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    Virginia
    I stare at a 750ml bottle of Absolut every night and every night it fits my hand perfectly. :cool:

willhowl, Gem23, squierplayer and 2 others like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Here are some interesting observations..

Yesterday I tuned up the G-400 to open E to make some comparisions. First, I do notice a difference on the ancient Coricidin glass bottle and the new Dunlop imitation bottle, Pyrex material. The Coricidin has a better tone, easier to sound clearer, weight about the same. It also fits better. Those old original Coricidin's are kinda rare these days, so back in the drawer it went.

I also noted that the chrome metal slide is much smaller in diameter and thus more "transparent" in the fact that it's not a big wad of something creating a bloated finger -it's just as if I'm gliding along with a plain finger. So I'm going to look for a glass slide, not Pyrex, and smaller diameter.

eaglesgift and Dr Improbable like this.
  7. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Check out these guys, It's where I got my Coricidin copies. http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/PillBottle.html

so1om likes this.
  8. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks. That's pretty cool.. Though I'm not sure it needs to be longer. The vent hole is a cool idea.

As I have an original, I can measure that and end up with some very close. Great tip! and reasonable price!

Dr Improbable likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Check your local antique mall. It's not difficult to find old glass medicine bottles there for not that much. You have to clean tu hem out good because most are rather nasty inside.

so1om and eaglesgift like this.
  10. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Try this sampler. There might be a keeper here for you!

s-l1600.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=263055018730

so1om and eaglesgift like this.
  11. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    They will make them to length I'm pretty sure. They make all of Knopfler's slides, so they're good enough for me!

squierplayer likes this.
  12. ADLGMT8

ADLGMT8 Squier-Meister

Jan 6, 2018
    NA
    I have one guitar in Open G all the time now and use a brass or chrome slide. Sounds good to me!

so1om likes this.
  13. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    I have one slide : a Jim Dunlop 228, fairly heavy, polished stainless steel I think. I also have a chrome-plated tube cut from an old chair...

I never obtained a decent sonic result playing slide except... With a Ukulele ! :confused:

I gave up and "shifted" to this, that I bought for 100 Euros unused like new with case and slide :

[​IMG]

And this FS-52 RI is... Still like new and unused, in its case :rolleyes: ! One day, maybe, I'll play it... :oops:

A+!

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    eaglesgift likes this.
  14. Cindy Cashdollar tears it up using a lap steel.
    Cheers, Barrie.

15. Not sure why that guys videos are all mirror / reversed imagery?
    Cheers, Barrie.

16. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    I'm surprised she didn't go into the adult film industry with a name like that.

17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    If she had done so she would have been a star..Fine looking lady..

eaglesgift likes this.
  18. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    I was thinking that too but wasn’t sure I’d get away with saying it. :)

19. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    So... The aforementioned chrome metal slide I purchased back in 1977 or so...

At the music stores they would have a counter display card of guitar slides, all in a poly bags, and a little instruction sheet of sorts. They were stapled on there and you'd pick one and pull it off the display. There was one for electric, one longer one (12 string I guess?) one for larger fingers, a glass version.

Lo and behold yesterday, I found the little "instruction" sheet that came with that slide I bought -which is still my favorite metal slide. I'll have to take a pic and post it for those who are curious..

BUT! That also had the manufacturer's information on it, Jan Mar Products. That leads to an internet search and to eBay and to this gem. It's likely that it's from the same type counter display card that I got my old chrome slide from. Vintage, baby!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=253596225792

I can't wait for it to arrive so I can promptly drop it and break it.

Undone likes this.