The open Slide Guitar thead....

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by so1om, May 7, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    So I’m getting back into playing slide a lot more. And because I over think things and why say a sentence when a paragraph will do…

Back when I only had one guitar I would just retune form open E to standard. I randomly bought a chrome metal slide that wasn’t too long for me being 11 years old. Then I went out and bought Coricidin because –Duane Allman. I still have that bottle but have since retired it because the old ones are a bit of a rarity. A couple years ago in its place I bought a Dunlop bottle sorta replica.

Pure luck, the chrome metal one I have is still pretty good, but the Dunlop seems to be inconsistent, at least on the inside. You can feel and see where it’s all wavy, so I wonder if there are flat spots and inconsistencies on the outside. This would certainly make playing a bit more inconsistent. I’m not that great and I need all the help I can get! No need to be overcoming gear short comings!

Slide choices and recommendations?

I have also considered a Jet slide. Just watch just about any Rival Sons video to see Scott Holiday wailing away with one. https://www.jetslide.com/

What about guitar choice? I am mentally hung up on 2 humbucker pickups.

Do you have a dedicated guitar where you adjusted the action? Also, heavier string guage?

Tunings? I seem to go to E for electric, but sitting around in the backyard sometimes the acoustic gets a D or a G.

(This sure beats paying attention to work on a Monday..)

2. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    any way i can try slide guitar without owning a slide?
    i.e. improvising one?

Layne Matz, Dr Improbable and so1om like this.
  3. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    I keep Open E and an Open G dedicated guitars. The Open G is a 5 string Affinity Tele with medium high action, same gauges as Keef. Higher action to help with slide, but not too high for comfy chording. Open E is a LP I set up with high action, 11s, humbuckers work well for the sound.. I have Coricidin copy slides and a chrome one. I like the glass better, but the chrome is great on the acoustic for resonance. Just recently, I have been trying some slide in standard, and surprised myself that I could make it sound ok (some of the time). I also love grabbing my Diddley bow and slide and stealing some sunshine.

fattboyzz, so1om and five teles like this.
  4. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    I've seen people use copper pipe, my buddy who was virtuoso used to grab empty Nitrous Oxide cartridges and made them sing! You can get a slide for a few bucks though, just order one!

so1om likes this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Imagine if I practiced slide then last 40 years... wow.

@TheKurdtz you can really use anything you want. Don't over think it like me.

6. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I use the off the shelf dunlops and stuff them with duct tape so it doesn't slide all the way down my pinky. I've been tempted to try some of the fancier ones but damn they're expensive. I don't want to pay $40 for a slide when the dunlups work for me. I also have a chrome one but I like the friction the dunlops give. I find the chrome to slippery on the strings. I also have a brass one my dad made for me, but its the opposite problem. If I don't constantly use it it starts to tarnish and doesn't slide as smoothly.

I also have a guitar dedicated to Open G. My epiphone dot. It's neck is a ltttle big for me for normal playing so I strung it with 11's and keep it in G. I also like the humbuckers better than single coils. I'm not that hot and I find the SC's really highlight my non-awesomeness.

My choice for tunings is really based on the songs I know. The only song I (used) to know in open E was Little Martha so G it is for me.

Undone and so1om like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    On slides, I have 50+ of them now. The ones that get the most use are a Dunlop brass, a Big Heart Robert Johnson signature and a 1 1/2 inch piece of thicker than average copper pipe. I just like the tone and feel of metal slides most of the time.

On most slides I line the inside with moleskin to get a comfortable and snug fit.

I've got 5 guitars right now setup for open tunings. I most often use either open G or open D and capo up to higher tunings. My favorite slide tones are from neck or middle position, vintage output, metal covered, P90's or humbuckers.

On some guitars I've used flatwounds on the low strings to get more thump.

so1om and five teles like this.
  8. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Rock Slides come in glass & brass with angle cuts on the bottom, both are comfortable fitting and stay on. Glass has warmer tone, brass is brash when needed. Willys Slides (not Rev Willy) are actual bottlenecks, hand cut & polished, a good guy w/ebay store. Open E & D, 11's 0r 12's will do. Buckers, p90's, or Teisco gold foil or any neck gold foil. or hot rail pickups, depending on what sound you're looking for. Brass or bone nut.

DSCN2116.JPG

squierbilly and so1om like this.
  9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  10. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    I've been trying a D'Addario glass slide recently and I seem to have trouble getting a consistently good sound. Often, the notes sound dead and muted and I have to adjust the angle. I'm not sure if it's the action on the guitar or my poor technique. The only time I ever tried slide before was with a whole bottle of Jack Daniels and it worked much better for me! How my band mates used to put with the states I would get in when we rehearsed I'll never know.

willhowl and so1om like this.
  11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Well part of this, as you know, is the pressure you apply and the pressure you need to apply. Then balance in not hitting the fretboard and taking into account if you have a radius or flat bridge.

All to (I won't use the word "equally") but to achieve the balance of notes and sounding just the way you want.

And while the concept is relatively simple, getting to sound good is another thing entirely.

willhowl and eaglesgift like this.
  12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I have a pretty good assortment of slides that I've accumulated over the years..Even though I don't play much slide..My slide playing is mostly done lap style with raised action..
    I once had a ham bone slide that was given to me by an old blues player..It disappeared.:mad:
    I've used a Bic lighter..Mic. stand..Beer bottle..Shot glass..Spark plug socket..My moms large pepper shaker..
    Another one was a highly polished hard wood slide..Very unique sound..That too disappeared..:mad:

13. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    I think the whole bottle, with some whiskey still in it, must have leaned on the strings with just the right amount of pressure, giving me beginners luck all those years ago. Now I've noticed that, as you say, you have to apply some pressure, but not too much or it 'frets out'.

so1om likes this.
  14. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Now those all sound like my kind of slides. I wasn't allowed a mic though, so I never tried a mic stand :)

so1om likes this.
  15. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    First time I saw a mic. stand used was by Roy Clark on the old Jimmy Dean TV show..Matter of fact is was the first time I heard of Roy Clark..Awe struck ..

16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Something I just read that was interesting, and not getting into a "tone glass" discussion, is that some of the glass slides that are produced to replicate the Coricidin bottles are actually Pyrex, which is a bit different than actual glass.

I think I'll try making a few from some wine bottles. Should be fun. and then you know.. getting around to cutting the slide and trying it out. :D

mb doug and eaglesgift like this.
  17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Those are too slim for my fingers. I'll have to go to the liquor store and stare at some bottle necks for size. They might kick me out ...

18. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    You’ll have to invest in a magnum of champagne or perhaps even a Nebuchadnezzar!

willhowl, so1om and DrBeGood like this.
  19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    If only ... the necks are concave on these kind of bottle.

wonkenstein, so1om and eaglesgift like this.
  20. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Slides? I've been known to wiggle a bottleneck...

002.JPG

Hand cut bottleneck, Repro 30's Morphine bottle, Ceramic "Bone Digger" slide, Steel Stubby Slide.