The little slot in the back of the medicine cabinet

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Papa Joe, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Tele56, jefffam, Caddy and 6 others like this.
  2. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Don't have one now. Been awhile since I've seen one. But yes, my Grandma and Grandpa Yergin in Akron had one of these, @Papa Joe.

theflow likes this.
  3. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I remember watching my grandpa shave and sometimes drop a blade in that slot. Probably early 60's in a house he built around that time. Gave me something to think about in the 70"s when I was remodeling houses.

theflow and Joe90 like this.
  4. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    It must have went out when the disposable razor came in..
    Early 70s maybe?..

theflow likes this.
  5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    lol..If I had not posted a pic , I'll bet there's a bunch of people here that would not know what it was for..

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    this is really funny, PJ!!

It just goes to show how ppl thought "back in the day" ... "Lets put a slot in there for folks to throw old blades away" ... "Cool, but how will they get the blades OUT when its full behind the med cabinet??" ... "Oh, that will be a LOOOOOONG time from now, WE won't have to worry about that!" :D

willhowl, Pat V., Bailey1214 and 3 others like this.
  7. Joe90

Joe90 Squier-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Western Canada
    I'll bet you guys have a pretty clear idea of the s**t I dealt with while renovating an old house built in 1929.

The crap you find under floors and behind walls is unbelievable until you see it for yourself.

8. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    Yeah, like me. :) If I have, it's been so long I've forgotten. My father used to use a DE blade. I bought the one off the TV commercial with the pawn stars guy but don't use it much anymore.

theflow likes this.
  9. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Squier Talker

Jun 17, 2017
    Sweetlips Arkansas
    I don't remember them but it's a pretty random thing to have in a medicine cabinet. Why would they build a slot just to throw old razor blades into the wall instead of a trash can like everything else?

theflow likes this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    'Cause they were freakin' sharp, and double edged. Hard to safely dispose of.

Single sided blades we'd stick into something so the sharp edge was not exposed. Doubly edge blades didn't allow for that and this was seen as a clever solution.

No, not forever. But that is so for all disposal. Someone else's problem some other day. :)

-don

squierplayer, theflow and willhowl like this.
  11. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    While doing a remodel or demo, I've run into a pile of razor blades a few times over the years. It's usually in the houses with claw foot tubes w/rubber stoppers, asbestos floor tile, and lead paint on the windows. Once the Bic disposable razors were introduced, the "slot" went the way of the "white buffalo".

12. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Yeah, PJ....I remember that mystery.....the ones I saw were usually rusty around the edges.......Took me a while to figger out.....And then I thought....Where do they Go???....And, How Many????..............

Ahhh...the good old days....................willhowl

theflow likes this.
  13. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
  14. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    With the one's we had there was a sharp "Zzzzz" sound when the blade went in, a bright bluish flash of light and a slight puff of metallic smelling smoke. I always assumed it was some super sophisticated electronic disposal unit like the one seen in the movie Forbidden Planet.

Was I wrong? Was it just a hole in the wall?

If so my entire youthful vision of modern American life has been destroyed.

-nod

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Hey,
    MOD-VM70

How was that razor???......Personal Comment, here......I would not buy ANYTHING from that endorsement
    by that clown......He is all about "Anything for a buck"..........willhowl:oops:

16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Maybe they'll make a comeback. More and more people are buying into the inconvenience of a shaving brush, lather, and safety razors. Meh, it's sometimes better to talk about nostalgia than experience it.

17. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    So they just went in the wall?

I guess it would take a long time before the entire wall was overflowing with blades. lol

18. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    A few years back, we were tearing bathrooms out in apartments and replacing them. I tore a tub out, and then knocked the studs clean behind it. When the sheathing was off, there were razor blades stacked 2 feet high between two of the studs. Whoever had lived in the next apartment must have lived there for years, and must have been a fresh blade every morning type.
    They put the medicine cabinet up, and then cut through the wall in the slot. They just pushed the blades into the wall where they fell to the bottom between the studs.

willhowl and duceditor like this.
  19. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
  20. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    theflow likes this.