The best all around guitar you've ever owned

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by squierTony, Nov 30, 2019.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Whats the best playing, sounding, looking, feeling guitar you've ever owned? It's a tough question for me because I've went through alot getting to where I'm at now. I don't think I can answer my own question at this time but I'd like to know what you guy have had or have right now that is the best of the best.

2. I think I'm in the same boat as you @squierTony Many are great players, but there's certain things with certain guitars, that are different which I like or need.
    I can't pin it down to a single guitar. One that I'm always impressed with the quality and sound is my '94 Fender Stratocaster Plus.

StratPlus.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    This one..The only one that I regret letting go..It could scream or whisper and made me feel like it was part of me..
    [​IMG]

4. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    For me, it's my 2010 Fender MIM Std Strat that I modified to be a Gilmour tribute.

MIM Bk Strat.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Some players, I know, find one guitar that is just "it" for them. It can be the sound, the feel, the looks.

I've never been that way. Whatever guitar I'm playing works for me, and what I'm playing is generally based on the music and my current state of mind.

There was a time when "that guitar" was almost always a Tele. And during those Tele periods one guitar of another would somehow get my focus and be "it."

My American Standard tele certainly qualified as such and it was my main ax for a good period of time, and that during several different periods.

It's a pure Tele and does, plays sounds and feels just as a Tele should. When I'm in a Tele frame of mind it is to me "perfect." But, frankly, so would be more than a few others.

Fender Telecaster web (1).jpg

At other times, and again, for extended periods, my older (1980) Gibson ES-Artist was my go to, "it," guitar

It has a truly great neck. And its wiring and PUPS -- custom done not by me, but by its previous owner (A Berklee instructor/studio musician) -- make it very flexible. Humbucker, split coil, phase control. Plus I love its classic good looks.

ES-Artist 1.jpg

But while either of these guitars can play "surf" and Ventures stuff -- my age old and very personal "roots" music -- neither calls out to me when I'm in the mood for that. Then it is either my Squier VM Jaguar or Squier VM Jazzmaster. Which of these two depends simply on what room I am playing in. The Jazzy is in my main music room, the Jaguar in my library. I love them both equally. Either will work for me at any given time.

Squier VM Jazzmaster.jpg

But underneath all of that is my playing fixation on P90-equipped geets, and since I got it the guitar that calls out the most is a 2015 Gibson Les Paul CM. Although in truth my relative cheapo Epiphone Junior probably satisfies me as well when I'm using her.

LesPaul CM- Finish Finished.jpg

Each of these instruments feels "right" when its time is right. And none has my favor more than another.

For the last year my two Supro 'Holiday' guitars -- a Black Holiday and a White Holiday -- have gotten a lot of my time. Is that just because they are my newest? Or is it that they are in truth a bit different from anything else?

Supro White Holiday.jpg

Or, asked another way, if I had no previous connection to the above instruments would they -- any of the them -- stand out as better than the rest?

Frankness makes me say likely not. They are all wonderful to play -- as are any number of others on hand, and on stands, on any given day.

Maybe the answer is that I just love guitars and love playing them, but unlike some here I am not into this one or that one to such a degree. Maybe I am less sensitive to small differences and thus generally take 'em as they came, with few mods. Or maybe i'm just a boring old man lacking youthful enthusiasm.

Who knows? But that's the best and the most honest answer(s) I can give.

-don

6. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    This one is top 3. It's a aria pro ii pe 135 I found at a pawn shop. Matsumoku made 100% original guitar. It was in pretty dirty condition when I got it but it cleaned up very well. 20190715_190905.jpg

7. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    You know for many, this is a shifting question. I have old Gibsons from the 50s and 60s, some 60s Gretsches, various Squiers and Epiphones and Fenders. I have favorites “at the moment”. It’s hard to beat all the tones of a Jaguar. The rich full creamy-ness of an SG, jangle of a Rick, yadda yadda..

But I look at this from a few angles.. versatility and a variety of sounds (maybe not all tones). Comfortable to play for long stretches so that’s the neck and the weight. Holds tuning forever. If it has a whammy, which I do use, great.

So oddly enough, my blue sparkle HH Bullet does all of that. Clean cleans, humbuckers that are single coily but can really drive. Light as a feather and a slim neck. Stays in tune for days on end.. so there you have it.

This question comes up every 6 months or so on the forum and I try to justify another guitar to no avail...

Rat cam 68, jamndad, dbrian66 and 5 others like this.
  8. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    My 1985 Les Paul.

DSCN2033.JPG DSCN2035.JPG DSCN2036.JPG DSCN2038.JPG DSCN2039.JPG
    It was the 6th or 7th guitar I bought and has been number 1 ever since simply because of all the things you mentioned.... The best playing, feeling, sounding, and to me, looking, although others sometimes find it to be somewhat plain....
    In truth, I certainly have guitars with prettier tops etc... The LP is the one for me.
    It's been with me at every gig I have played and I put every mark on it, well except for the gouge in the back, but that is another story.
    I've never posted any pics of it before and I just took these and they aren't the greatest , but here you go.
    the guitar isn't dirty, that's true by me 33 years of use.
    If you look around the edges and wear spots, you can still see some of the original Alpine White before the yellowing took over.

9. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
  10. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Knew a younger guy in another platoon that was hard up for cash, he had a wedding to pay for and he had one of these:
    kollnrjvbojy3npluooj.jpg
    1980s Yamaha SA 2000, middle of the decade. NEVER should have let this one go,...

11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Easy answer for me. This Les Paul has always just felt right. It’s always the first thing I want to plug into a new amp. And its normally the guitar I will grab to play unless I’m looking for something specific. The down side is I have done nothing to it. I love to mod and work on guitars. That’s the reason I love the Squiers so much. But this guitar needs nothing.

It’s a 2011 Studio Classic 60’s

EA883647-8B00-42CB-B5C6-B0C502A4A60A.jpeg

12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm with you Doug. If I were to become a professional musician, I'd start with the LP. Nothing sounds as pretty as an LP.

BUT .. you're right. Nothing to change around. Not as much fun messing with it ... which is why Squiers are so fun. :)

I ran to the GC today in Alexandria. They had a purple Squier Contemporary HSS on sale for $249 new. I was highly tempted. About $270 with tax. Granted ... not a great price for a used model, but it's new. Argh !!!!

13. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    My trusty, Yamaha FS800. I love my electrics, but this acoustic is so sweet and gets sweeter with age. The intonation is so good, I'm afraid to change strings.

20181228_100657.jpg

14. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
  15. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    Its been my number 1 sence the day I nabbed it. 20180713_185427.jpg

16. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Not 100% sure, but I'd go with this for now.

Body.jpg
    But that is a really strong contender as playing sounding feeling goes. The above G400 Vintage wins the looking part for sure.

15-09-24 2.jpg

17. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Guitars, to me, are like cars - tradeoffs, strengths, and weaknesses are the name of the game.

And that's ok. In fact, its one of their appeals.

YMMV.

dbrian66, so1om and Angry Possum like this.
  18. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Meister

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Ibanez Roadstar II RS110. 1985 Made in Japan. An amazing guitar, amazing. This one has a Super 70s humbucker in it only. The neck is insane. The Craftsmanship is extraordinary. I say no more. And they are out there for great prices.

Screenshot_20191015-152216_Reverb.jpg

19. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    The best all-around guitar I have is my EVH Wolfgang Standard.
    thumbnail_IMG_3168.jpg

20. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Partly right, except that I can keep a guitar playing great for a lifetime. Not so much with a car.

so1om, Jim Belaye and dbrian66 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice