The “Meteora” Fender’s new offset model

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by grizmit, Jan 10, 2018.

1. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Nut

It is difficult no question.

I guess I just see a fine line between looking at this and seeing numerous modding opportunities (which is cool) and seeing things that represent really odd design decisions.

I personally like three saddle ashtray bridges and tele neck pickups - on teles. That said, I'm not personally going to mod a Strat or LP or offset or hollowbody to add a three saddle tele bridge or tele neck pickup because I like them so much. I'm sure some people do that but I'm willing to bet in the classic "80/20 scenario", it's the 20 doing that not the 80 - probably way less than 20.

On the other hand, there seems to be a pretty significant number of teles in the world with six saddle bridges and just about every kind of pickup under the sun in the neck position, not mention Fender's own Custom and Deluxe.

Anyone buying one of these will be free to do whatever they want to it and I'm sure aftermarket bridges and pickguards will pop up quickly. That wasn't really my point so much as trying to get inside the heads of Fender product people and figure out what their rationale was for this. I'm sure it sounds great or it wouldn't have made it this far but I do think those two choices are odd...

Kenneth Mountain and grizmit like this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I can’t tell, I could not find a better picture of it anywhere then the one on Reverb. I suspect it’s just Sheetmetal, because the intonation screws go underneath it... call it a half-ash-tray :p

It actually looks to me more like a bass, than a guitar. The voyager had a six saddle plate Tele bridge, and some funky thick contoured pickguard. This guard looks better, and the bridge looks a bit more modern, but three saddles has me scratching my head too.

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    So this?

EB.jpg

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    EE5964E9-3CBA-419D-98A5-8469E682A208.jpeg
    Ha! Yes, except the tab that turns back on the Babicz, goes forward (and down) on the Meteora.

5. Axe Cop

Axe Cop Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    I think it looks like a mustang, a tele and an explorer had sex and this is their love child.

Inlays look awful, the headstock doesn't go with the body and it just looks weird with a tele bridge and pickup config.

I bet it would look better with two humbuckers, dot inlays, an ebony fretboard, a regular fender bridge orna tuneomatic style and a painted headstock.

Still not digging the body shape. It may play and sound amazing, I just don't like it.

6. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    ...and now the standard rhetorical question.... does it come in left-handed?

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Silly Rabbit! Tricks are for guitars that sell enough to justify it ;)

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  8. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I think it'll make it especially if it's a USA Fender. I'm guessing for this new model only if it's a MIM or even China that it won't be taken as legitimate. Again I'm not saying this for Fender's established other offerings. Just my take on this new one!

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  9. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Meister

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Nice try, but probably not for me. I almost feel that the end result is less than the sum of its parts. Theoretically I like the Tele layout (including the bridge), the offset body, and the block inlays, but I'm not drawn to this guitar.

10. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i'd be interested in a fender meteora modern player for 400 bucks..

11. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Nut

I would have done a short bridge, brought the pickguard back to cover where the bridge pickup is and have it sweep down to cover a small inline control cavity. Then people could go to town and put just about any pickups they want in it.

12. calihick

calihick Squier-Nut

Mar 12, 2015
    west coast
    Yup, I like it. Dig the block inlays, reminds me of my 70's VM Jazzer. It is sort of a TiescoDanoFendero.:D

13. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    Damn you capitalism!

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  14. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Nut

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    I'm led to believe this is what people said when they first set eyes on a Strat.

Maybe Fender are on to something.

15. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    this got leaked too, i freaking want this, it's so awesome! 0176070709_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

16. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i hope there will be some cool new squier (offset) models at NAMM this year :)

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Meister

Friday afternoon design. Late Friday afternoon.
    Don