The “Meteora” Fender’s new offset model

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by grizmit, Jan 10, 2018.

1. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
    There is the ... Shih Poo :cool:

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    Saw this earlier. I think I like it but it's not like I instantly fell in love with it. I'd like to have a look and a feel of one in the flesh.

3. seua

seua Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    modern shape for a telecaster...
    nice looking though ;)

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I like it, but they put the switch too close to the strings.

6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    A rehash of the Fender Voyager concept from 2012.
    0984B8DB-C37A-45F3-A347-9D6D77EABA8A.jpeg A084B832-DAC7-4F00-BE84-9FF54E6E4AD5.jpeg

An interesting update on the Meteora is the Bridge, it’s kind of a Tele bridge, with integrated ashtray cover over the back, looks almost like a bass bridge.
    E2F9AF03-CF0E-4368-B8D3-B3FF0942BBE5.jpeg

7. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
    Do we know if this is slated to be a China made Pawn Shop type?

8. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

This is a good point. I whine about how they never do anything different and then they do something at least somewhat different and I dump on it because it's not a classic.

That said, if I'm going to be critical in a fair way, I'm trying too wrap my head around the decision to put a tele neck pickup and three saddle bridge in a new guitar design. If there's anything about teles that tele lovers don't like, it's the neck pickup and three saddle bridge, so let's take those components and put them in a new guitar! :confused:

A few of us have alluded to the price of this thing, anticipating it will expensive. Other than the block inlays, there's nothing about this that really screams "Gucci" to me. Barrel knobs, three way and the bridge looks like a piece of metal with two right-angle bends and a few holes drilled in it...

9. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Nah. Every Tele lover knows that’s what makes it a Tele. 3 brass saddles forever.

10. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I like it, looks like an old Teisco

11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
  12. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
  13. Dan Martian

Dan Martian Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2014
    San Marcos, Texas
    Props to Fender for coming up with a new design. I can't say it's my cup of tea, but I've definitely seen worse.

14. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    I agree I would not have gone with a tele layout as far as pickups and bridge go. Nor does the headstock really match the rest of the guitar. So is it a classic? No. It’s not. But if you want a new classic, you have to try new designs, which is why I applaud Fender. And even if not an instant classic, it definitely does not suck.

Kenneth Mountain and SoundDesign like this.
  15. ADLGMT8

ADLGMT8 Squier-Meister

Jan 6, 2018
    NA
    Thinking about it further, I still like the overall design but I think I'd have gone with a P90 neck pickup and a humbucker bridge w/coil splitting , think that would have been cooler. I also think it looks nicer than the new Gibson's shown above!

16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I, for one, love the neck pickup on my CVC Tele. It sounds as good as any Strat neck pickup, and is what I use 90 per cent of the time when playing my Tele.

17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Nothing offset about them though. Not the waist or the lower curve... More Rickenbacker than anything else.

18. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    As a mini focus group of the Fender market, this thread just goes to show just how hard it must be to nail new designs. With so many set expectations as to what "should" be on any given guitar, it's just impossible to produce an "instant classic." Hence this Frankensteined platypus. However, I bet if this exact guitar had come out in the early 70s it would be just another classic Fender today. Even if it had disappeared into semi-obscurity like its offset cousins, today's hipsters would be falling all over themselves for an AVRI Meteora. And in our case, the Squier VM Meteora :D (sign me up, btw)

19. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    So is that back part solid like on the High Mass bridge? Or just a stamped return?

Why or why would you use inferior 3 saddles. Let me put the drum brakes back on my car.

So while it doesn't really offer much new sonically, I would be interested in how it fits the player. The balance and how the neck is at rest while playing. Back contours and all that.. I think that's where it can be of some benefit of where they have made it an ergonomic joy to play.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  20. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago