Telecaster Body #'s?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by JiveTurkey, May 16, 2017.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    I did! After I saw it, I had to, for that price... She's a keeper, I'll probably hold on to her for a while and get her rollin'. So sorry not for sale.

I am currently in the market for a MIM Fender Tele Neck. If anyone has or see's anything let me know.

I am also researching pickups, as they determine which direction to go, maple or rosewood neck, then brass or steel bridge saddles, bridge plate, pots, switch etc... as the saga goes. We'll see how far I get down the rabbit hole on this one. I'm sure everyone here knows how that goes... I will keep yall posted on the progress!

GAME ON! :)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Kenneth Mountain and DaveDrums like this.
  2. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    WHA.....!! Where's the dislike button!!??!!

:D

Kenneth Mountain and JiveTurkey like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Since this is a Fender and not a Squier, is it allowed to post and ask for info and opinions on gear about this guitar. Or will I get booed off Squier talk? o_O

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Worshipcaster

Worshipcaster Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2012
    Dominican Republic
    Lol that's funny. The only thing you'd get booed AND booted for is not keeping us updated (and i mean lots of pictures) on your project.

DaveDrums and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Well shopping for necks is a whole thing in itself... I've been bidding around on Ebay, and wow, folks are not afraid of paying premium prices for nice gear.

I had a question regarding necks, I want to keep this telecaster MIM. How are Warmoth necks, certified necks, and MIM necks in comparison? I saw a Warmoth get away from me on price and sold for $200 with nice looking birds eye maple with a honey stain and clear coat.

I dunno, I should probably find or start a neck thread here.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    What do you like in a neck? How particular your demands are influences what you end up paying. Quality is going to be good for MIM necks in general, on par with Warmoth (though I've yet to deal with them). Do you mean a licensed neck? Allparts is best bang for the buck IMHO--I buy those unfinished, then I level & crown, custom contour, then finish them myself. I'd get this if you want to stay 'MIM':

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/...m-jumbo-frets---maple/0995102921.html#start=1

7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I can get a whole MIM for 250.00 up here ! I'd use a 1/2 bridge and go SSS ! ! yo !

8. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Ya, I've seen the replacement necks going for $199. SSS, would be a good combo. I was also pondering an HSS with a 5 way solderless switch, although that take me way up in budget.

EDIT:

Excluding neck, this is my dream setup, Humbucker neck, single mid, and single bridge with vintage ashtray bridge, brass saddles, pearl or white pick guard with vintage tuners...

http://obsidianwire.com/custom-5-way-for-nashville-tele/

https://reverb.com/item/4797699-fender-tele-custom-frhb-full-range-humbucker-pickup

https://reverb.com/item/4559143-ame...-single-coil-pickup-with-alnico-3-magnets-set

https://reverb.com/item/2036691-gen...intage-telecaster-3-saddle-tele-bridge-chrome

https://reverb.com/item/2399320-new...der-stratocaster-strat-telecaster-tele-nickel

(Whether or not I can afford it, it's fun dreaming about)...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  9. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Thanks for the info! Ya, I meant licensed...

I keep seeing Warmoth necks come and go on ebay, and seem to have a great retention in value. I guess if I get unfinished and do the finish myself, it would feel a bit more personalized. I've also seen necks for sale on ebay already finished and even road worn look go for relatively decent prices as well.

I'll keep looking and wait a few more paychecks for that special one that speaks to me...

10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Well, I bought my first Tele part for my Telecaster project:

Fender AVRI American Vintage Reissue Wide Range Humbucker for the neck:

Attached Files:

Kickstand, Hotrodleroy and Viking like this.
  11. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    I don't know much about pickups, and it seems that research on this topic could go on for a while. It's seems like pickups aren't too hard to find.

I bought a Tex Mex for the middle and am contemplating a Tex Mex for the Bridge or a Standard. I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford another bucker, the above was a great price on a "seemingly" unnoticed ebay auction.

Middle:
    "NEW" Genuine Fender Telecaster Nashville Tex-Mex Middle Pickup:

s-l500.jpg

12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Got my Wide Range Humbucker in the mail. It doesn't fit the neck position. I wasn't aware of the size differences. Learning a little here and there as I go. I guess I could either do some sanding down the body or get a smaller sized different model, like a fender black top or Shawbucker. Or just go completely Deluxe Nash with all single TEX MEX to match the middle. I would hate to dig in on the body though. o_O

The measurements are 3.75 inch WRH pickup and a 3.5 inch route or 95 mm WRH pickup to 88 mm route.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  13. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    1498182577587-1075536979.jpg 1498182640059444845374.jpg 1498182720259395863126.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  14. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    JiveTurkey and wickedtools like this.
  15. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Thanks Garyth! Lol

I guess assuming rather than taking actual measurements was a fundamental mistake. Anyway...

I am posting these for future reference, for myself mostly. In image one I found this comparison/measurement. Also, posting other pickup dimensions, I found one here on SQ and a few others searching around. The last image is a diagram for a 7-way switch that I had posted in another thread, but with that I believe you could switch back and forth from Standard Tele pickup combo. I thought it'd be pretty cool to share again. I still want to get a Humbucker in on the neck position, but the wide range won't fit. The regular humbucker looks like it will, not sure if a Gibson has the same dimesnions as a fender humbucker though.

tele_drawing.jpg Strat-TelePickupComparison.jpg GibsonPAFHumbucker.jpg WIDE-RANGE (1).gif Nashville_Tele_Wiring.JPG

Slowly, but surely, chipping away at ideas that will work.

16. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2017
    Reno
    Plus here's a humbucker ring, I noticed some screw holes from one that was mounted at the bridge on the body. Also thought about covering those holes up and putting on a vintage ashtray bridge.

Guild-Fender-HB1-Ring-Dimensions1.png