Telecaster Affinity Upgrade/Replacement Parts

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by thirtyplus, Mar 16, 2012.

1. fenderfreak

fenderfreak Squier-holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Upper Midwest USA
    I've thought about the same thing. The cover snaps off, but the neck pickup has a ground running to the cover, so that would need to be taken care of.

2. sfcmark

sfcmark Squier-Nut

Apr 20, 2011
    Georgia
    You might want to play with the neck pickup height before you remove the cover or replace the pickup. Tele neck pickups are height sensitive and tend to have a very narrow sweet spot.

3. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    I have read that some players have the neck pickup practicallt flush with the pickguard.....I would have to lower the bridge pickup too then to match the voloume output wouldn't I?

4. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Re the bleachy colour neck, I am going to sand off the poly and apply amber shellac before I refinish with poly. Hope it works.

5. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Images of the guitar as it stands......neck looks more bleachy in reality than in the photos and will look even lighter with a darker pick guard I think.

Tele 1.jpg

Tele 2.jpg

tele 3.jpg

Tele 4.jpg

Tele 5.jpg

6. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    A couple of more photos....

Tele 6.jpg

Tele 7.jpg

7. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Looking at the photos now, maybe I am rushing into the neck tint...

8. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    I dis-assembled the guitar over the weekend - Bagged and labeled all the parts etc... When I took apart the body and neck I found poorly drilled holes in the neck where it had been plugged in 3 places with rough dowels..... I was disappointed as the neck was the bit I liked the most. Anyway I took photos for reference and removed them.

Sanding down the neck wasn't too bad though I did leave a few rough marks on the headstock on the curve before the nut which were hard to get out. The neck had aged a bit and there was lighter colour behind the Squier neck so I had to go a little harder than I would have liked to get that out.

The paint on the body came off easily with a good sharp chisel with little or no scuffing, the sides took a little time but the body is now ready for sanding.

I'll post some pics if anyone is interested. Total time to date approx 4 Hours.

I got the draft of my decal done......

Decal.jpg

9. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Those pickups with the chrome cover are sold out it seems.... :(

I do like the sound off the stock bridge, vintage style not too coarse. Any suggestions for a neck pup only?....

Rails humbucker?...

10. north east al

north east al Squier Talker

Jun 29, 2011
    Hartlepool, England
    Hey 30+. If you haven't already, try Axesrus or Axetec in UK. Axetec deal in Iron Gear pick ups and I think they might do a stacked neck pup. They both also do quality parts for the entire guitar including jack sockets, bridges etc.

11. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Thanks for that NE Al, I hadn't heard of Axetec.Ordered some stuff from Axesrus alright.

12. spanker63

spanker63 Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Sorry duder. I bought that set a few months ago while they were in stock. I hadn't forgot about you either, I just haven't had the time to record a sample. Good luck finding some pups... theres alot to choose from out there.

13. jonny d

jonny d Squier Talker

Mar 29, 2012
    bakersfield,ca
    hi y'all. i bought an aff'n tele. (waiting for it to be delivered). i have a few questions.
    1) what size is the neck pocket size?
    2) change out the switch and knobs? so far, from what i've read, most folks are doing this.
    3) i really want that tele twang. i live in tele twang country. will the stock pups deliver or
    do i change them out? i read that GFS is the way to go.
    4) what about the bridge? i was looking at switching from the 6 saddles to one with 3
    brass saddles. opinions?
    and any other suggestions and advice will be appreciated.
    thanks

14. Waterboy

Waterboy Squier Talker

Mar 26, 2012
    Iowa
    I'm with you! Could be the Sweetest neck on anything I've ever picked up. If it helps, I just replaced the stock pups in mine with GFS Modern Vintage rails this weekend. After working through a few problems with the pots & caps ( my own mistakes), it's become a MONSTER!! Can't believe how good it sounds on the '65 Twin setting with a Mustang 1! Got the fine tuning done last night, picked it up about noon today and finally put it down for a while about 1/2 hour ago! Amounts to around 8 hours with it and loving every minute of it!

kzrdrnc likes this.
  15. thirtyplus

thirtyplus Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Sounds sweet.

I have a lot of the paint work done now and couldn't face re routing for humbuckers. Any other good suggestions for budget telecaster pickups (i.e. under $50 for a set)?

16. Waterboy

Waterboy Squier Talker

Mar 26, 2012
    Iowa
    The GFS Pups I used were around $45.00 and ARE rail Humbuckers. They fit right in with no additional woodworking. Only took about a half hour to replace them. Would have been less time , but my soldering iron went funky. Picture Joe Barden Tele pups.

17. stratkat

stratkat Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2011
    CNY
    I did a jack-plate replacement on a BSB Affinity Tele just this week. The original plastic one was cracked into four pieces and held on with duct tape. I bought a new, chrome steel Gibson one w/screws from GC. I did have to drill new holes. I drilled the original holes out with a 1/8" drill and plugged them with 1/8" hardwood dowel, cut to fit. Used a little Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue on each one. The radius of the Gibson plate wasn't exactly right for the Tele body but I fixed that with a soft rawhide mallet. The new Gibson jack-plate covers all the plugs and looks great. :)

18. KP Will

KP Will Squier-Meister

May 15, 2011
    Northern California
  19. stratkat

stratkat Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2011
    CNY
    I clicked on the link that you provided and read the description. It reads...."stock on many Gibson guitars." As noted in my post above, the holes on an original Gibson accessory plate didn't line up. Have you used this part on a Squier Affinity Tele without re-drilling the holes? If so, I'll order some for my other Squier Teles. Thanks.

20. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Are you talking about just having to drill the 4 screw holes for the new jack plate StratKat? Or the actual large hole that the jack itself slides into??? Ive been planning on doing rectangular jack plates for all 5 of the Squier Telecasters I own once I get around to that point of mods... But ive been kinda nervous about them "fitting" the shape of the guitar itself... And having to pound away on them to make them fit the Tele body style... Now ya got me even a little bit more worried...

Also... Does anyone have any idea what this jack plate is? This is what I wanted to go with... But cant seem to find these anywhere... What is this? Where do you find it? Anybody???

Zzzzzz... One of the coolest Tele Custom II's on planet earth... Not mine...

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice