Tariffs on Chinese Made Goods

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by tjnugent, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

I have been looking to see if Squier guitars made in China would be taxed in the ongoing trade war our beloved President has started. All I can find is that guitar cases or musical instrument cases that use sheets of plastic or other textiles will have tariffs.

I know that a trade war is not good for the consumers, because the Chinese can wait, and wait they will. Our President seems to forget that the majority of money borrowed to float our national debt is held by China. The Chinese also own a huge amount of US real estate. They are our friends, not our enemy. It is the same with Mexico, where are reasonably priced Fender guitars come from as well as Canada and Europe, where we get a load of music gear... Especially Marshall and Vox amps.

Rant over,

I am a guitarist, I am thinking only about our gear and not some grand political scheme. I just hope the prices of our beloved instruments do skyrocket.

I live in TN where the pork farmers are practically lined up on a tall bridge ready to jump off over this trade war. Trade wars are bad for everyone and cannot be won, not in our global economy.

2. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Nut

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    If Donald Trump frightens you then you would have died of fear under Jimmy Carter. The absolute worst time of my life.

KG7IL and Davey like this.
  3. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Breaking news! we have been in a trade war for many decades already AND LOSING!

The harsh reality for the easily frightened is this is not a huge deal and will not cost consumers in any real meaningful way.

A penny on the aluminum for a six pack.

45 bucks in steel on a brand new car

On and on.

This is a good thing for the US despite what the fake news guys are telling you.

4. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2016
    I'm w you on the trade war issue, although our beloved President has been quoted as saying "trade wars are good, and easy to win". I think we have no option now but to wait and see. The same beloved President has also been quoted as saying,"...I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things..." So there's that...

xtomx2000 likes this.
  5. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Carter gets a raw deal. The Baby Boomers started buying on credit which created an artificial economic boom but was really creating debt. This artificial boom leads to inflation. The inflation was creeping up during the Nixon and Ford administrations but years of credit buying really gets inflation souring while Carter is in office. The Fed Chair under Carter is Paul Volcker. Volcker sees the way out as raising rates to put a halt to inflation. His plan just like the current Fed plan is to raise the rates until it stops. The economy was so out of whack that rates climb to high teens before inflation trims off. Volcker is there during the Reagan administration but Reagan replaces Volcker. Carter paid the price for it but new spending habits by Baby Boomers via credit was the culprit, inflation was the logical outcome and high interest rates was the harsh diet needed to fix the problem. If Ford had been President, the credit spending and rampant inflation would have been the problem. The Fed Chairman would have had to address it. Likely some variation of Volcker’s diet would have been implemented.

oneHenry, DougMen and skypeace like this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Maybe, but they have their own economic problems, also brought on by debt fueled by rapid expansion in the past 20 years. Waiting isn't in their interest because it will slow down their economic growth that has kept sociopolitical discord tamped down for 2 decades. Neither country would benefit from a long trade war.

7. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Seriously guys? You may remember that discussing politics is not allowed on this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.