Talking to the Gibson Rep..

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RoyalWe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Today I returned my 2014 SG Bass to Guitar Center (just couldn't live with the neck dive http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/sg-bass-nbd-with-video.143840/#post-709634), and luckily for me it happened to be right when the Gibson rep was there talking with the store manager at the customer service desk. They were passing around one of the 2019 DC juniors (see @duceditor 's thread http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/2019-gibson-dc-junior.143252/#post-706963) and I got to twang out a note or two on it....man it feels so goooooooood. I think it was tagged at $799? Didn't get to hear it plugged in unfortunately :( . I commented on how lovely the thick body on it is, which he replied it was done to eliminate any neck dive on them. I told the guy thats why I'm returning the SG bass. Come to find out, he tells me, that 2018 and newer SG guitars are being made with thicker bodies as well to stop it as well. Only took them 60ish years to stop and address it! I left my info with him and he said he's get back to me about if the increased body thickness is also for the new production SG basses, we'll see if he does. We had plenty to talk about between the new guitars and the old corporate management, but it sounds like theres a lot of good changes going on at Gibson. I'm gonna remain optimistic and (hopefully) give the SG bass another try in a few years once the reviews are in. I'm sorry, I didn't even think to snap pics of the DC in the flesh!

Taurus, theflow and duceditor like this.
  2. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I have owned 2 Gibson SG's that had no neck dive then I got an 08 Epi that has a super light mahogany body and it had terrible neck dive but it was an easy cure,replaced the Grover full size rotomatics with vintage style tuners that weigh considerably less and voila no more neck dive, I am pretty sure that is why my Gibson Firebird came with regular tuners instead of those super heavy banjo tuners too.:) I hope you get what you are looking for,not sure if anyone makes lightweight bass tuning keys but,it's a thought.;)

RoyalWe and Taurus like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    SGs always seem to dive -it's a bit between how much of the neck (all of it) is not attached to the body and where the strap buttons are. Lastly, the body weight.

Sounds like sand pounding to me. And other then my odd-ball super thin 1969 EB-3, I always thought the EB series was incredibly thick to begin with AND they all have the same neck dive. That's because of where the strap buttons are.

RoyalWe likes this.
  4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’d also forgotten to mention the tidbit of gossip he gave me concerning fretboards. He’d mentioned that they’re still using their stock pile of rosewood, and that (don’t know if it’s already happening) they’re likely going to use ebony in the future. Apparently Bob Taylor owns one of the largest ebony supplying plantations in the world, and previous management refused to go through Taylor for anything. I asked about the baked maple fretboards. He told me they’ve stopped making those as people who had them reported back that if you try to refret them it completely ruins the board as it’s too brittle. Glad I didn’t buy one! Anyway, we’ll see if ebony boards start popping up in their catalog soon.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    theflow and so1om like this.
  5. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Taylor has a video on their site and youtube about their ebony plantation that is pretty interesting and if you're on their mailing list they have a printed catalog/magazine that tells about it as well.