Talkin' service... Wow.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Apr 15, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'd mentioned as a comment in another thread that my Supro Black Holiday had been sent in to Supro because of a problem -- a bulge in the fingerboard just above its upper attachment point -- that had developed in the neck. That I'd gotten a call, not just from a tech in Supro's service department, but from a man named Paul, the head of Supro's entire guitar section. And how he with total frankness explained that some of the early bodies had been drilled too deep causing the problem my guitar had developed.

I mentioned that I had observed that there had been a design change between the initial 2016 Americana's design (such as my troubled Black Holiday) and the 2017 models (such as my own White Holiday). And yes, he said, that was correct. He had himself made the redesign, and, yes, it was to prevent the possibility of the type of problem my guitar had developed

Apparently so personal did he take this failure that he had decided to do the work on my guitar himself. (His schedule for the moment, he had explained, allowed this) His call was to see how I like my action set. (I told him in millimeters at the 12th fret)

"Too cool!" I thought, and yes expressed to him. Getting this level of service. I was indeed impressed.

Mid last week I got an email from the service department saying that my instrument would be finished by the end of the week and that I'd get a tracking number for it. But then I heard no more -- until this morning.

Just a little while ago the phone rang. "Don, this is Paul from Supro." Wow! I again thought! "I just wanted you to know that I decided to put a brand new neck on your guitar. It was the only way to make it perfect."

"It's basically done" he continued, "I just need to polish the frets a bit more and then put on the tuners. It'll be done and on its way back to you before the day is through."

I commented that I'd understood that replacement necks were no longer available. "No, they're not" he responded. "I had to make one. You'd said how much you love this guitar. it was the only way to make it perfect."

One on one. The head of the company's entire guitar department -- a guy involved in their guitars very design -- building a neck for mine himself because I'd told him how much I love the guitar.

I find that mind blowing. And I told him so.

Of course the guitar is not back yet. All I have is his word that it will be "perfect."

I've got a feeling I can take him at his word.

Yup, my mind is totally blown!

Supro forever!

-don

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    WOW this sounds like amazing service and a great job! Let’s wait till you get it back and how it is for yourself. But sounds like amazing service so far, a lot of effort to go into. Which is great :D I hope you really love it when it comes back :)

duceditor and ElRey67 like this.
  3. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
  4. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Great story Don. And good to know that certain companies do still practice accountability and action. This is rare.

five teles, Taurus and duceditor like this.
  5. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    This is the sort of service I’d think you’d get with a $$$$$$$$ guitar, not one the average mortal can afford. What they’re doing is just above and beyond! I love hearing about stuff like this, rather than 467345 threads about the poor service someone’s getting with their “name brand” guitar.

duceditor, five teles and Taurus like this.
  6. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    He picked the right person to give this level of service to. You have been on this forum, and YouTube (your music) and probably other forums based on your comment above extolling the virtues of their products. I am sure this has helped their bottom lime a bit as well. I recall a few other members here perhaps buying after your well written experiences with both guitars and the amp.

7. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    That's how it should be, but rarely still is. Wonderful.

duceditor likes this.
  8. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    A one-off handcrafted neck.
    You will have a truly unique guitar.

duceditor likes this.
  9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Great story, thanks for sharing. That's the way it should all be handled.

duceditor likes this.
  10. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    You made me a believer..
    Supro!,, Supro!,, Supro!,, is Super!..
    I want one!,,, or more.. :rolleyes:

BlueSquirrel, duceditor and jjudas like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Okay, I just heard from Paul again. And once again ... what a wowsa!

As to the neck, yes it is a pretty much a handmade one. But it was not built from scratch just for me -- It was hand built for 0ne of the original prototypes. And according to Paul it is fantastic.

But (for that reason) it has no serial number.

Need I be concerned? How do I register it? "Don't worry about that. You don't have to. We know it is yours. It is the only one out there."

Cool, eh?

So it is being double-boxed to protect it in transport and sent out right now. (Paul wanted to double check the address as my printing on the the form was not completely clear. That was the reason for his call.)

What a great guy! "Any questions, any concerns, just let me know! Keep in touch!"

I like that. I am SO excited about seeing and playing it!

(Life is good!) :)

-don

For those unfamiliar with the Supro Black Holiday, here she is with the "old' neck...

Supro Black HolidayWEB.jpg

-don

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 8:38 PM
  12. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    PERFECT! What other company can say that about a specific guitar? He should write #1 on it :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM
  13. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Wow! Don, this is an literally an outstanding and one-of-a-kind guitar! Your story is sooo uplifting! Supro is stupendous! ^_^

BTW I love the "art decoish" look of your Black Holiday's body. It's so classy!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM
  14. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Soooooo nice to hear a story like this. Really feels good to know there are still SOME folks out there who stand behind their product, and go the extra mile on pride and support for the customer. Congrats on what should soon be HNND!

SoundDesign and squierbilly like this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    On its way. Be arriving Thursday!
    WooHoo!
    :D

-don

squierbilly likes this.
  16. Old Man

Old Man Squier-Nut

Jan 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Very cool that there are folks like that in the guitar company. It sounds like you won't be unhappy.
    Congrats, and I hope you love it.

Mike

duceditor likes this.
  17. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Well i am glad they fixed the guitar no hassle and good communication.

duceditor likes this.
  18. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Take that Gibson..... yeah I know what you guys were thinking and I said it lol.. I'd purchase a Supro just for the fact of what Don has experienced with the company.

duceditor likes this.
  19. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

This may sound corny but for me, human connections still influence my buying decisions. It determines where I buy my pickups and wiring harnesses. I could pay a little bit less somewhere else but I won't so long as that connection exists. It's the ability to send an email or text and what you get in response is "I got you".

duceditor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice