Taking a pickguard off

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JurnyWannaBe, Jul 3, 2019.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    I've got an Affinity that's driving me nutz! In the last 3 weeks the bridge and neck pups have gone dead. I've taken the PG off 4 times. I've been unwinding the strings, pulling them out of the tuners, and just letting them hang off the end of the bench. I got to thinking about that thing. Would it be easier to just loosen up the strings and unbolt the neck? What say ye?

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    If I'm taking the pickguard off a Strat, I just unwind the strings 4-7 turns or so, an then hold them up while pulling the guard out. Might be easier for you to loosen the strings a lot, then capo at the first fret to keep them in place while you pull the pg out.

3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    As I remember it, when I owned a Strat ... I loosened the string and pulled the pickguard from under them ... like that. For two pickups to go dead like that, you've got 99% chances of correcting the problem by cleaning and lubricating the pickup switch. Buy a can of DeoxIT and make this easy on yourself.

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I just unwind them some but don't take them off.

5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd be more concerned about the dead pickups than a set of strings, cut them off and remove the pick guard properly so you can see where the problem lies..

6. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Loosen the strings.. capo or tie a rag (sock) around the nut
    and remove the neck.. easiest for me..
    The trick to putting the neck back on seated fully in the pocket is to make sure there are no threads in the body.. only the neck should be threaded..
    When both the neck and body have threads the neck has trouble seating flush in the pocket..

7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I loosen the strings and put a wedge of wood under the strings on the 19th fret. That way I have enough clearance to remove the pickguard without removing the strings. I do it frequently when I switch PGs.

rorygman, lost sailor, brians and 3 others like this.
  8. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Deleted

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN

I like that idea. a rolled up cloth or piece of foam could work too, or even a small pillow depending on what a person has around the house.

Flying Z, JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Loosen strings. Capo 1st fret. Unscrew trem and remove.

Caddy and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    I made up my mind that I was either gonna fix it, or turn it into firewood. I did the capo thing and took the neck off. I had a set of knockoff Texas Specials, some extra pots, and caps in my goody bag. I stripped the PG bare and replaced everything. It sounds like a Blues monster now :)

Flying Z, -r3-, fattboyzz and 5 others like this.
  12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Nice!

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  13. downrazor11

downrazor11 Squier Talker

Mar 3, 2019
    Iowa
    I see your problem is now null.. but I sent you a PM anyways.. (to OP)

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    If you're unbolting the neck (I just usually looses the strings and slide the PG out personally) it's probably worth the extra few seconds to drill the holes in the body out to where the neck screws pass through easily and only actually thread into the neck. Good time to check and clean up the neck pocket if necessary as well

As discussed in a previous thread there is a big difference in how the guitar is originally assembled in the factory versus reassembling it at home with hand tools

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  15. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    I’d cut the strings before squeezing the pg out. Rather pay a couple bucks for strings than scratch the finish.

MrYeats likes this.
  16. Glencraig

Glencraig Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2019
    UK
    Electric screwdriver and remove the trem bridge.

Takes 5 minutes.

17. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

My Standard is threaded through the body, I changed a pickguard today, I took the neck off (22 frets) and worked on a couple of uneven frets.....when putting the neck back on I just held the neck against the body, put in one screw to anchor it, and the other 3 went in easy - and could now bend that high D up to an E

Bob the builder likes this.
  18. downrazor11

downrazor11 Squier Talker

Mar 3, 2019
    Iowa

I know you posted this about a month ago but I just now saw it.. Do you REALLY do this? And if you do, how is taking off the bridge more efficient than loosening the strings almost all the way? Either way, if it works for you this way, great!

Personally, even if it were somehow quicker, I wouldn't want to risk widening such important screw holes in what is an essential plot of wood..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  19. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Anybody got a beer?

20. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    I usually just loosen the strings a bit, and then remove the springs from my trem. Then there's typically just the right amount of room to slide the pickguard out nicely.

corn and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice