SX P90er on the way

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ralph124C41, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I ordered this guy just now from Guitar Center for $79.99 with a free gig bag. The ad says "case" but I talked to a helpful sales clerk who sent me pics of the guitar and it's a Road Runner gig bag. Beep beep!

You folks may know I have several guitars from Rondo Music, a SX "Strat", a SX short-scale, 3/4- or 7/8 sized Liquid with P90s and a Douglas thinline "Tele." I also had an SX "Jazz" bass which I sold; it was the best-sounding (and heaviest) of my five basses.

The SX logo through the years has been on a lot of guitar shapes and pickup combinations. This one I think may be the Callisto model, although I am not sure. It has two P90s and a set neck design.

I really like the P90s in my tiny Liquid but that 1.5-inch (or so) nut width is too cramped even for my small(ish) hands.

It's coming from my native state of Virginia up here in New York so I should be getting it before Christmas.

OK, OK, less talk and more pics, right?
    IMG_1795.JPG

Caddy, Michael7, wickedtools and 7 others like this.
  2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I did some more research, some of it triggered by a post here in 2013 by member Horax who was looking for a cheap guitar with P90s. This seems to be, as I suspected, a SX Callisto Jr. It has, I think a 3-piece mahogany body. One concern I have is that it supposedly has a "baseball bat" for a neck and that won't work well with my small(ish) hands. The weight hovers at around 8 pounds.

So I will see what I will see.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Looks nice ! If the neck ends up being too big, let me know. I could be interested in taking it off your little hands.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I will do that. I just know that necks like on the Epiphone Sheraton II (which I have had up on consignment for four months) is a little too "fat" for me. It needs to go on a diet, I tell you.

5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That looks like a total winner! :)

-don

dbrian66 and DrBeGood like this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    The reviews are really pretty good for this guitar. The pickups, if they are anything like the ones in my Liquid, are on the quieter side and clean up pretty OK, which is what I want. But again, it's not in my (smallish) hands yet.

dbrian66 and DrBeGood like this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats! That’s looks awesome. Most everything I hear about SX is good. I hope the neck is to your liking!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    What irony. The P90s on my Liquid are on a neck too small to be played comfortably. This set of P90s may be on a neck too fat to be played comfortably. I feel as if I should be reading "Goldilocks and the Three Guitar Necks" as reference.

Just got an update from the GC store: The item has been shipped but hasn't gotten to UPS yet. So that means I may get it as early as Friday but likely not until Monday. In fact, as it has happened before, it will probably sit in a warehouse close to me from Friday afternoon through Monday morning.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Hope for a Friday aft delivery. How far is the GC store from you ?

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    320.1 miles

btw, it was listed in "great" condition. I made some screen shots of that too, but as I said it also said it came with a case and it doesn't, just a gig bag, so ......

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I've seen nothing but good things posted about these on the web. Looks great. I have the later, Agile version and I absolutely love it. 20160723_180244.jpg

dbrian66 and wickedtools like this.
  12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well just now got an update from UPS ... saying they still don't have the guitar but the guitar is in the system. So I don't expect a Friday (tomorrow) delivery.

That leads to another question: When is an item "shipped"? To me that means when the item is in the hands of the agency that will be doing the shipping or an authorized agent, such as your local UPS/FedEX store.

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

It seems to be common these days that once the vendor sends the notice in to the carrier that the vendor will have a package for the carrier, either to be delivered later into the carrier or collected by the carrier, that begins the "in the system" updates online with that carrier. My experience is that it can be a few more days before the package is actually moving in your direction with the actual carrier.

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks. In my case I called the store and the rep said it is no longer in the warehouse so he assumed UPS had picked it up. However, the UPS website says it has not received it. So I don't know where it is and who has it but I guess that will be updated soon enough. One GC rep showed his computer listing shows a Monday delivery date which is what I assume will happen.

I called the store because in the past UPS has had the package the same day or early the next morning as best I can recall.

Oh, well. No Friday P90 joy.

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Update: I just checked the UPS web site and it shows the guitar was picked up about 15 minutes or so ago. So on one hand it was "shipped" 3 p.m. yesterday but delivered to UPS, or UPS came and picked it up or whatever, about 30 hours later. Oh, well. It's scheduled for Monday so I will report back here after I get it and kick the tires.

16. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    We'll celebrate with our P90s in the meantime.

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    And I'll try somehow to stretch my fretting hand to accommodate that giant sequoia of a neck.

DrBeGood likes this.
  18. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Don't they sell extensions ?