"Surfboard 4"

Discussion in 'Surf Music Forum' started by duceditor, May 21, 2018.

1. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Looks like I couldn’t resist the extra discount now I’m the owner of Surfer 4 board:D

2. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Tobbackie may be wacky but I still think you're on the right track with these cool pedal racks and for the price, it makes sense when you're looking to match up the guitar, the amp and the pedals for what you specifically want out of that particular rig in the studio. Great idea really.

duceditor and Treynor like this.
  3. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I'm with you on this one, too..... just a little bit of a load into the amp to drive it a wee bit more, maybe just enough to be more touch sensitive. I use my MXR Classic Distortion with the distortion knob just barely on, dialed in about 7 o'clock....nice little boost with a hint of gain on a small amp. Jazzmasters - good point bringing that up, too, traditionally those pickups are voiced to be not so bright....the original Jazzmasters used to leave the factory with flat wound strings.

so1om likes this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    On the "jazz" topic, I do think some jazz players like a little touch of overdrive. And I fully see having a comp pedal. I don't understand the exclusion of reverb, which to my limited experience with trying to master jazz (partial score Jazz 78, Ralph124C41 0) reverb seems the most popular effect to have.

so1om and wonkenstein like this.
  5. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Okay off subject, how many of you guys have gone to the Wangs-amps site and spotted the Reverb hand wired unit for $400 and clicked on it then noticed it was sold?:oops:

AllroyPA likes this.
  6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Some of today's jazz guitar guys definitely use it as part of their sound - John Scofield, Mike Stern, for instance. George Benson has no trouble driving an amp .... and if you listen to recordings by Johnny Smith and Wes Montgomery, these guys have their guitars turned up and it's all right hand dynamics for tone and volume - when they lay into the chords and single note lines you can hear the break up. My guitar instructor growing up always used a touch of reverb with his Magnatone amp - he was a jazz player.

On this forum a couple of weeks back so1om described it best by saying "when you think of reverb and vibrato as necessary amp sounds, not effects" he's talking about the two other tones already built in that we got used to growing up and playing through tube amps - and you're right because many amps are two channel clean/drive set ups. You might get a built in reverb but you probably won't get a built in vibrato. Compressor? Hell Yeah, the compressor is an awesome clean boost and if you set the limit just right you overdrive the pedal and break up a little before the amp - that is a go-to sound for me on every gig.

so1om likes this.
  7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH

8. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I'm sure some jazz players may use it (actually I'm lying, I still can't imagine a TS808 or whatever on the floor in front of a jazz guitarist) but when you think of a classic 3-piece - double bass, drums and piano - it's certainly not the first effect that springs to mind. If I were putting together a board for a jazz guitarist, I just couldn't see myself saying, "Ooh, mustn't forget to throw a Tube Screamer in there!" The ones I've listened to go for a mellow, plummy tone rather than crystalline clarity but maybe we are talking about different types of music / players

Someone like Louis Stewart for example (although he does get a bit of overdrive/break-up going on when playing some of his chords):

@wonkenstein Mike Stern uses a Boss Distortion DS-1 apparently. No idea what John Scofield uses but he's really a fusion player not strictly a jazz player, to my mind at least.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    so1om likes this.
  9. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Seems like they have found a way clear to avoid making the frustrations folks were having with the all-in one units like the Vox Tone Lab - I really like that the effects can be digital or analog in the same unit, too. Looks like a great way to configure a new tool for the task at hand. Keep exploring and keep us posted.

10. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Robben Ford....known to take an extended saxophone-like chromatic solo or two and uses some serious drive - he's been associated with the Klon Centaur but I honestly have no clue what his drive pedal is on stage. Caught him live using a Twin and a Super Reverb, both mic'd but don't know which one he was using for the wet sounds/clean sounds.

11. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Truth is, we probably just don't know any better, so we're still playing.

12. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Well been waiting, I just got my email my Surf board 4 has shipped. I guess @duceditor has done a great job of selling this product because she said they have been super busy trying to fill orders:)

duceditor and squierbilly like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I hope you are pleased with it.

I've been using mine for more than surf. I purchased a "Crunch" module which I put in place of the tremolo one and then use the unit, connected to the super-clean Mini 5, for classic rock sounds. -That works especially well with my `80s 'Paul.

The one thing I wish had been available when I was suggesting this was a less digital sounding echo. -They did have one but did not (yet) have a single space reverb. This is, Wangs told me, coming soon.

-don

wickedtools and so1om like this.