Supro Black Holiday

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Nov 9, 2018.

1. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    1 left............

GONE!!!!! Sold out!!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    theflow likes this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    To anyone here?

-don

theflow likes this.
  3. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Anticipation..........

A4DEDC7C-9653-493F-B002-DCB4EC3438DE.jpeg

theflow and radiotech like this.
  4. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    As per the always really helpful folks at Supro/Pigtronix, the Supro White and Black Holidays ship with D'Addario 10s.

theflow, radiotech and duceditor like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Okay, now now I've spent time with both the White and the Black. If I had to choose just one which would it be?

Tough. Damned tough!

The White Holiday is simply the best looking guitar in my collection. It plays like magic, has an exceptional trem (and I do like good trems!) and is totally unique in really every way.

But the Black is just IT. My, what a sound!

No, not a sound. What a bunch of sounds!

I'll do some more videos to demonstrate this, but Supros own capture it. Raunchy blues to cool and mellow jazz. Bright and in your face, to thick and creamy.

And, oh, is it light. Yet solid.

These should have sold and sold BIG. What a failed marketing job Supro did.

Or maybe it is just that we guitarists are just stuck on samnity.

So which is my favorite?

No, I can't decide. Both are total wowzas. And very, very different from one-another.

Two truly great guitars.

-don

Pat V. and radiotech like this.
  6. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    When do anticipate delivery?
    By the way, you got a stellar deal on this guitar.
    I spoke the folks at Alto, and they said the 15% discount was not suppose to work for this guitar(I tried on the Poppy Red Belmont)
    (but for you it did)! Time to buy a lotto ticket :)

theflow, Pat V. and radiotech like this.
  7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

Thanks! It arrived at my other workshop this morning and I'll go pick it up in a few hours. I'm really looking forward to trying these out.
    If it's as good as everyone is saying, I imagine it would have been a great deal at $100.00 more than I paid.
    I'll check in here later after I check it out.

theflow, duceditor and radiotech like this.
  8. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana

Both very true statements!

These are by far the most unique guitars (different from anything I have ever owned) and I have owned many guitars over the years.

I was a bit surprised that my learning curve (dialing in the tone I was looking for) took me a bit longer with the Black Holiday. But I now have exactly what I was both hoping and looking for.

Overwound pickups can be a bit temperamental for my ears, so I tame them a little by turning the guitar volume down, and letting the amp do a little more of the "heavy lifting". I was even tempted to grab the Belmont when I thought I could get it for $254.00 but Alto took back the discount as it sat in my cart overnight, and frankly, I am now glad I did not get it.
    The color (Poppy Red) is not quite my taste,
    and I can always get the same tone from the White holiday with the piezo turned down all the way.

I began this adventure looking for Something a bit different,
    and, I must say both these guitars fit the bill quite well.
    I would add, that Supros motto might have well been,
    "They are not for everybody"
    but if they are for you, you will know it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    theflow, duceditor and Pat V. like this.
  9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    It’s raining so I didn’t take any nice outdoor pics but it’s here and I am a very happy camper.

I’ll probably have a lot more to say about it later but in short, it plays like a dream. I totally concur with Don, Blackspider , Radiotech and all about how good these guitars are. I stayed at the office and played it for 2+ hours and I feel like this guitar was tailor-made for me.

They may not be for everybody as BlackSpider57 says but they are definitely for me.

I feel lucky to have got it for such a deal. I think it’s worth much more. For those like me who like the light-weights.... this guitar weighed in at 6 pounds 12 ounces. :).
    Going to play it through some different amps at home this weekend, but it sounds great through the Greenback loaded Super Champ.

Thanks again to Ralph who pointed out the Poppy Red Belmont deal because his post definitely influenced me that night. It was perfect timing.

at the office, day 1
    Supro 1575JB Day 1-1.jpg Supro 1575JB Day 1-2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    radiotech, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  10. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
  11. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Hey!!! What is my Black Holiday doing outside???
    Oh.... That's yours :)
    So glad you like it
    as if you didn't,
    even the great deal you got would not have mattered much.

But you do,
    and now we have yet another member in The Church of Supro.....
    Hallelujah!!!!

Pat V., duceditor and radiotech like this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Well it is a cult, that's for sure!

And I have a certain feeling that it is going to grow in intensity (if not numbers). People are gonna wish they had 'em. It is just a matter of time. Has to be. So unique. So toneful! (And so damn pretty!) :)

-don

13. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Maybe a "small church"?
    Mom would not approve of me ever joining a "CULT". :)

radiotech, duceditor and Pat V. like this.
  14. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I’ve always found it fascinating how different guitars bring out different playing styles and attitudes in the player and what I like most so far about the Black Holiday is that it brings out a more delicate and patient approach in my playing that I really like. My wife noticed it too. There is a harmonic texture to the plucked strings on this guitar that is just very compelling to me.
    I haven’t had G.A.S. in quite a while but at the moment I am hyper-aware that this is definitely not my last Supro.
    The Red Belmont is a super great deal and I almost pulled the trigger but after this spontaneous Supro acquisition, I want to put a little more thought into the next one... but it’s definitely on the horizon.

radiotech likes this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I find the same thing. And your description catches it exactly. "Harmonic texture."

When I earlier today laid down the "And I Love Her" track the contrast between the bass side and the lead was apparent to me. (Well it should have been. It is central to the song.) But only when I listened to the track so time after posting it did I realize, once again, how definitively "sixties" are its tones. The bass line really had the flavor of not just Lennon and McCartney's arrangement, but that of George Martin's mix. Voice over instrument. And I found that both pleasing and a bit remarkable. No overdubs with different settings. No anything but the strings being set in motion.

It is rather amazing how each of us has said "have to have another!."

The Belmont will be a lovely choice. But I'd not wait too long. I have a feeling that when they are gone they'll be just that.

-don

radiotech and Pat V. like this.
  16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    You are probably right Don. Although my goal at the moment is to find a good deal on a Blue Sahara with the Dobro bridge, I may not be able to resist the Poppy Red Belmont with a case for that price.

9A050DCF-2E01-4575-8483-004C76AE14AC.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    radiotech and duceditor like this.
  17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Some more information about the Supro hollow bodies.
    The guitars that have phillips-head neck mounting hardware under the chrome caps are earlier Gen 1 guitars.
    The guitars that have hex-head neck mounting hardware are later Gen 2 guitars.

I don't know all of the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 but one difference is that the gasket in between the body back and top differs.
    Gen 2 guitars have Y-shaped gaskets and Gen 1 guitars have T-shaped gaskets and the T shaped gaskets are more difficult to re-seat when putting things back together.

Also, here are the DCR measurements from the pickups in my Black Holiday.
    Neck Pickup DCR = 8.24K
    Bridge Pickup DCR = 9.18K

Here's a peek inside of a Supro Black Holiday that was included in an excellent article about the new Supro guitar line (Guitarist Magazine Issue 416 / February 2017)
    Inside of a Black Holiday.jpg

Compared to a vintage Supro Dual Tone.
    Inside a Vintage Supro Guitar.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    radiotech likes this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I changed over the strings on my Black Holiday today. Went over to D'Addario super light top to regular bottom. I.e., 9 - 46.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 3.29.36 PM.png

I've come to love these strings which came stock on my Les Paul CM (those were Gibson branded, but I think actually made by D'Addario). Easy bending up high, but with the fuller bottom end I prefer.

The good news is that the Black Holiday is about as easy a guitar to restring as I can imagine. The straight through tailpiece and the zero fret make it so. And this change -- one gauge lighter up high but with the same weight bottom as the .10s that came on the guitar -- seem not to require any setup change. (Yes, it is still possible that the neck relief will change a bit over the next 24 to 48 hours. But I think that unlikely) And the intonation is nigh perfect. (Actually better than the original .10s which were pretty close.)

In the disinformation dept... No, the bridge is not fully floating as some reviewers have suggested. It rotates around a loosely set center screw so one can change all the strings at one time and not have to worry about placement later.

I won't address the sound change (likely to be minimal) until I have broken them in.

Anyhow, for anyone tempted, know this is really a quick and easy job!

-don

19. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Cool, Those sound interesting. I will have to try a set of them. I just restrung my Black Holiday with Nickel Wound 10-46s and the difference was really nice. The stock strings have been on the guitar since 2016 and were pretty tarnished when you looked at them with a loupe. Sounds quite a bit better now.
    New Strings for BH Supro.jpg

radiotech and duceditor like this.
  20. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    24 hours in. No neck adjustment needed, but the bridge needed to be notched a bit for perfect placement and retainment of the high E string.

I can only surmise that the lower down pressure is the reason for the need, but in any case in was just a few moments work. (Ah, the joys of rosewood bridge/saddles!) :)

The sound is quite similar to before, with perhaps a bit better definition on top. But the fingering is definitely better for my playing technique. First string bends and warbles require not only leff effort (a task that often falls to my "pinky"), but less motion for the same pitch change, and thus there is less edge of neck issues when I wish to push the effect).

-don