Super Guitar Strap Bargain

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Nov 29, 2018.

1. platefire

platefire Squier-Nut

Sep 14, 2016
    North Louisiana
  2. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Got them.. Seem pretty nice for the price.
    IMG_20181219_162307191.jpg

duceditor likes this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Oh man these are nice. Tried one out and really like it.
    IMG_20181219_174932.jpg

duceditor, Luvs2yoko and Loin Lover like this.
  4. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Nut

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Ordered mine Nov 29th. It's partying like a rock star in LA today.

fadetoz and duceditor like this.
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Mine came in today.
    VERY NICE! A great deal, and thanks to Don for the notice on these.
    I think it's odd that someone would counterfeit a 10-year-old 60th-anniversary strap, and include a fender tag with it. I am inclined to believe these were in fact commissioned by Fender? Maybe just wishful thinking......

fadetoz likes this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Who knows. Copying products is very common in China. But they may well have originally been made for Fender, and then they just kept making them after the initial contract was complete. Such happens with camera accessories.

I'm just judging the product for what it itself is -- a nicely made strap.

When I ordered my initial one there was no mention of Fender. That was a complete surprise. As was the quality.

-don

fadetoz likes this.
  7. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    My three straps showed today. Good looking, comfortable and cheap.What's Not to like?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    fadetoz likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I bought one sometime in the last year, read this thread and went and looked at mine and yup same one.

Bought mine on Gear Best for 3.99, SHIPPED no mention of Fender in the add or pictures. I love the strap other than it says Fender and I am sure it is not.

Hey, real leather quality strap! sooooo

Hmm Logo is there in this add
    https://www.gearbest.com/guitar-parts/pp_1471255.html

9. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Got mine today too. Super bargain.....

10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Ordered two more :)

duceditor likes this.
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    It's funny, how much attention (well meaning only) one of @duceditor 's threads can be. I have mentioned these strap numerous times over nearly the entire time I've been at S-T. Lack of impact, is cool. I tend to keep a lower profile these days. Still relearning (again) left hand function. At least this time I remember what I'm supposed to do.
    All of you enjoy the straps, but they do need super treatment of the pleather before use to give the best service. You skip the heavy treatment and they will start to flake and fall apart. I know from experience.
    Here's a couple that were on guitars during the picture. 97 Squier Affinity body full.JPG 149cr.JPG

Attached Files:

VealCutlet and Luvs2yoko like this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I have not looked lately, but usually there are multiple vendors, some do take PayPal. I know because I only buy on the bay through PP.

fadetoz and Luvs2yoko like this.
  13. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    So "jefffam", what exactly is the heavy treatment that you give these straps? Thanks, I just ordered a brown one.

14. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Can you suggest what that treatment should be?

If the surface is actual leather than a leather softener/lubricant would help. But if it is a poly?

-don

PS - that black Strat with the red-cast guard is a beauty!

fadetoz likes this.
  15. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    That one does not exist in that format now..but thank you. It now sports a black pearl p/g.

I've had the greatest success with multiple heavy coats of saddle soap. I've used Vaseline, baby oil, hand lotion, vinyl treatment, & cocoa butter creme; none as effective as lots of saddle soap.

duceditor and Luvs2yoko like this.
  16. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Mine is leather. I have seen one's that look like it that are Faux leather, I think they were more money. :)
    I use Lexal on all my leathers, including this leather strap.

Edit: Looked at your link and that strap is PU leather, which is leather but split and then covered with an embossed plastic.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    duceditor likes this.
  17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I would think that means that something like Lexal would be unnecessary. And if the "plastic" you mention is vinyl than anything with a petroleum product in it would in time dry it out.

I think I'll just let mine be and see how it does.

Of course there are always surface treatments used in auto detailing, including stuff like Armor All.

-don

Davey likes this.
  18. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Armor all would work :) Like I said though, the one's I bought are leather from GearBest.

Frankly I don't care what they are made of, I have a few very old leather straps I have been lugging around for decades, and A pile of other synthetic straps and other than how wide they are for weight support I see no real advantage.
    I do have a swede one that REALLY stays put, like a kung-fu grip :) a little too much traction.

19. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    :)

20. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    What yours is mine is.

Identical construction. Identical grain. Etc.

I, too, thought mine "leather" -- and in a sense it is. In the same sense that much "leather" furniture is leather and that many cars have "leather" seating surfaces.

The issue is the finish. The color, the grain and the gloss. How it is applied. How much care it will take.

Much, it is worth noting, like the discussion about poly finishes on the wood surface of guitars. Strong feelings. And the traditional POV, while often shared, is also to some of us at least "debatable."

If you search the web you'll find a lot of noise about PL leather and its evils. Look closer and those sites are usually connected to companies that sell leather with more traditional finishes. And a deep profit motive. And an ax to grind.

Take away that from the discussion and we are back where we started off. Discussing a super guitar strap bargain.

:)

-don

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice