Summer Project 2017

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mtjo62, Jul 4, 2017.

1. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
    Well, the PUs finally arrived yesterday, so I have no more excuses left to delay my summer project. XGP seafoam green body, Wilde Keystones, MIM bridge, 500K CTS pots, .022mF orange drop, 4 way switch and a CVC neck once it comes off another project. I am not sticking to any particular model or time period on this one. It will be a player from day 1.

project-2017.jpg

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Looks like its gonna be one sweet tele!! :)

I am a huge fan of the 4-way switch on Teles ... I think that "in series" fat tone is the best!

ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I'm in - take lots of pic's - it's going to be great !

ElRey67 likes this.
  4. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
    The project is starting to move along. Summer is a busy time for my business and between yard work and such, guitars take a back seat. I decided to get a Fender vintage rosewood board neck. I am assuming that Fender won't make any more of the MIM replacement rosewood anymore and I was hankering to try vintage frets. So, we'll see how that goes. Interesting that some on the TDPRI don't like the CV neck claiming that it is too small. I dressed the neck pocket using my CVC neck and it was still a tight fit. I also had to chisel out a slot on the back of the neck pockets for the heel truss rod adjustment. The Fender neck is actually skinnier at the heel than the CVC and there is a minute gap. The guard mostly covers it and it won't be an issue. I knew the Fender neck would require me to finish the nut slots, but the fret ends will require a full dressing as well. Just something to consider if buying the Fender replacement necks.

tele_1.jpg

ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
    Well, the summer project seems to be coming to a close. Finally got her wired up and the intonation ball parked. I'll let her settle in before touching that up. Just to summarize the specs: Fender Baja 60's neck, XGP body, MIM bridge, CTS 500K/.022mF, 4 way switching and Wilde Keystones. So far so good. I'll need to raise the action a bit, but it plays well. Those Keystones are well worth the wait. They may be the best single coils I have ever installed. If you want vintage or modern hot sounds, look elsewhere. They have a sound of their own and it is a good sound. Considering that they are about the same price as a set of GFS and are made in the USA make them a steal. The series position on the switch is like having a boost built in. Quite fat and will work nicely when needing a boost w/o pushing an OD pedals for leads or heavier rhythms. Sorry, my cell phone camera suxor.

fender_clone.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    DaveDrums, pcampbell, jjudas and 3 others like this.
  6. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Fantastic - great job!!

mtjo62 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Yes sir, turned out really nice

mtjo62 and Kenneth Mountain like this.