Suggestions on upgrades for Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jbrowning, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    So, I've been playing the new (to me) Epiphone Les Paul and have noticed that when I switch to rhythm everything shorts out. When I put the switch to the middle or the treble they sound pretty much the same. Does anyone have suggestions on upgrades to fix this problem? I haven't replaced the strings yet to see what the pick ups say. Maybe something that is all plug in play since my soldering skills aren't all that great.
    Wanting to stay with the humbuckers for sure.
    Thanks
    Jim

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

I had the same issue when I sent my Spec II to the shop, turned out that the stock switch was shorting out in the middle and one of the other positions. Get a good switch, Alpha pots, '50s wiring, and away you go. The '50s wiring actually made the tone pot on mine do something almost all the way around the dial(before maybe 1/3 of the dial produced a change).

Attached Files:

Stillhouse, jbrowning and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Contact cleaner spray in the 5-way before trying anything else....don't change out those Korean 90s Epiphone ones, they sound incredible!

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    By no means I want to scare the OP but I wonder, what's the risk of a "worst case scenario" with these faulty electronics problems? I mean, those situations where you fry something like the pickup(s) or the amp - those seem to occur sometimes but I question myself how bad of a problem or how unlucky one has to be for that sort of outcome.

jbrowning, Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  5. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Thank you Guitarmageddon, you solved the issue again. I just shot it from the top of the guitar and it made it a lot better. Tomorrow I will open the back up and take the switch out and shoot it and clean it up.
    Can I use the electronic cleaner spray to spray on the pots? The volume knobs will crackle every so often, so I thought maybe the electronic cleaner might help with that.

Thanks again
    Jim

Caddy and Angry Possum like this.
  6. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    If you take the back cover off you can spray cleaner straight into the pots right next to where the wires connect.

7. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier Talker

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Work your pots for a minute or so. Just turning them from the minimum to the maximum over and over again for about a minute. Do the same thing with your switch for about a minute. Just back and forth. I've had pots that crackle and by doing that it removes the noise. Once you give that a shot then move one.

jbrowning and Angry Possum like this.
  8. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I like to put a couple drops of 3in1 oil in the slot by the solder pegs and rotate back and forth about 10 times, then hook them up. A good capacitor will help tone control.Removing the metal covers will enhance a more gutsy tone.

jbrowning and Angry Possum like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    In my experience, the most likely culprit, given the symptoms you described, is the switch. These tend to wear and get metal fatigue over the years. The metal plate stay bent so that contact is no longer made. Carefully bending it back into position may work but if the metal is too fatigued or if the plastic has broken off you'll need a new switch.

jbrowning likes this.
  10. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2013
    Texas
    Replacing the toggle switch and output jack wouldn't be a bad idea, and isn't too difficult if you can do basic soldering. Switchcraft switches and jacks are good replacements for the fairly cheap ones import guitars such as Epiphones come with. I've done so with my Epi LPs and Squier Strat, along with new pots and caps, and the difference is noticable.

11. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Those toggle switches come off real easy and so does the back to get to the pots. Just spray them all and turn them a bunch of times then spray again to get any crap you dislodged out of there. Then use some of the air in a can spray stuff that you clean keyboards off with or use an air compressor( very lightly) to dry it out.I would recommend some contact spray lubricant after that. Cover the guitar and put some paper towels or rags in the pocket so you dont get stuff on the guitar. Chances are they are just dirty. Dont go buy parts you dont need. Then again Im a cheap s.o.b. so do whatever you want.

12. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    No upgrades needed, just regularly clean and lubrifie the components. Like bgmacaw suggested, you might have to work the contact plates a bit on the toggle switch, but that's it.

13. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Sounds like the 3 way switch to me.

fattboyzz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice