Sudden Interest in my Drip Video - Why?

Discussion in 'Surf Music Forum' started by duceditor, Oct 7, 2017.

1. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Wow! Impressive numbers for an old 'off the cuff' video. It goes to show that spit & polish is not always what people want.

Time for Sequel.

Congratulations.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    theflow, Treynor and duceditor like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    And afterward you wished you hadn't. :D

-nod

theflow, Hotrodleroy and MOD-VM70 like this.
  3. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Surf drip? That’s when you visit your girlfriend after a surf, Go in for a kiss and saltwater drips out of your nose!

corn, theflow, Bailey1214 and 2 others like this.
  4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    HRL I laughed out loud ! twice Bravo ! ! !

Treynor and Hotrodleroy like this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    TMI

surfrodguitar likes this.
  6. Joe90

Joe90 Squier-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Western Canada
    Good video! Highly informative.

Finger Freeze? I liked the fact that you slowed it down to really emphasize the sound.

Oh, and your pronunciation of Reverb is technically just as correct as those who take it upon themselves to correct you. As in reverberation.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Kenneth Mountain and duceditor like this.
  7. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    YouToob commentary is a minefield of nastiness....And nice stuff too, but Boy!!!...Some of these clowns, SHEESH!!!!!

Scott Grove throws it right back at 'em......Brad, the Guitologist, just kinda ignores 'em......meh!!!! Just some dweebish trolls with nuttin' better to do but display their vast (or Half-Vast) superiority to one and all......(Right!!!!!!...)

You got this, Don.....Congrats!!!!!.......................willhowl:confused::confused::eek::rolleyes:

Kenneth Mountain and Bailey1214 like this.
  8. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    Your video came up in my suggestion feed the other day! I'm guilty of watching from start to finish. Got a true education on a genre I was completely unfamiliar with! Thanks Don, I'll use what i learned in the future for sure!

9. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    A very informative,, down to earth,, unpretentious video..
    and I admit I'm the one responsible for all the hits,, I passed out and the video was on repeat.. I woke up and the phone was blinking red.. the carrier is charging for extra minutes.
    I gave them your address,, I knew you would understand.. thanks.. :D

Kenneth Mountain, Robb and duceditor like this.
  10. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    ignore the nasty comments.

you sir, are now viral, in a good way.

11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Indeed. :)

I think if I were younger such would have likely bothered me. Not the disagreement with my approach -- I think I'd always have been cool with that -- but the insults and nastiness.

Now the occasional nastiness bothers me not at all. In some cases such even gives me a chuckle.

The difference is that I no longer need care. I am no longer looking to, or emotionally needing to, "make it" or have others approval.

But for all that I do wonder why people feel the need to strike out at a stranger. It's kind of a sad look into their souls (assuming they have such)

The funny insults I keep posted. The really nasty and pointless I have started to delete. Kind of like wiping spittle off a keyboard following a sneeze. :D

Thanks all for the kind words. Such can still brighten a dim day! :)

-don

12. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Wipinig spittle off a keyboard,, classic!.. :D

theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Nice video.
    I can tell you how to nail it so close that you will get people telling you they saw visual paisley drips.
    Put a V/Amp 2 in front of a tube amp. Like Don said in the video, add just a tiny bit of echo, set the reverb to the V/Amp number five model, using the tube amp model run directly into a Class A tube amp.
    Crank it a little.
    The V/Amp works just fine with the amps like the Valve Junior.
    At volume, this will literally make you understand where paisley came from. Laugh if you want, but I am not pulling your leg even a little.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Most of my videos are made using a small Fender G-DEC 30. Amp, effect, even the backing track comes through that little amp. And the same setup works: A bit of echo, some reverb, some trem -- all through a Fender "Blackface" tube model.

Yeah it works! (Well, at 'bedroom' volume anyhow) ;-) Once one understands the components it becomes pretty straight forward.

-don

theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I am considering ordering the kit to convert the Valve Junior into a stand alone spring reverb tank. It is like $80 for the kit.

16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The hits/viewings for this video continue to explode. Here's what YouTube analytics show just between Sunday night and this morning -- less than four days...

since sunday.PNG

analytics.PNG

The reason is not, as I thought, that somebody posted a link on another website. It's that the video has apparently been judged a principle "suggested link" provided to anyone making a YouTube/Google search on the subject, or whom Google's own analytics suggests might be interested in the subject.

As I responded to one of the now many daily comments the video is getting...

"Get your gee-tars boys and girls. Surfs up!" :)

-don

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    squierTony and theflow like this.
  17. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    The last I had mentioned it, or went to it, and I cross posted the discussion with you here. I mentioned it at Surf Guitar 101 forum months ago. That was in the context of what gear was actually used in the actual recording -we thought we had a line on someone that actually played on it and I think it was a shared or borrowed unit back in 1963ish.

After further review......

So I don't know what the new and latest way would be to achieve "the" sound. Maybe you press a button on your phone app? Or you tell Alesia or Alexia?

But back tracking, you have the mysterious "what did the actually use and how" and then did they add any other stuff in production... etc., etc.. it's all a mystery. We can only replicate what we hear -and all a little tweaked different.

Now that you have all these hits, you're a star!

Funny thing is YEARS ago, the only way I could share a video with someone was YouTube -we all remember the old days 10 years ago. my friend would kid me about my old van so I did a video of it with my Flip Mino camera. I spent a long day editing it down and adding background music (I think this is why I hate making videos and taking pics. it always took a LONG time).

So I uploaded it so me and my buddy could have a laugh. Last time I checked it oddly had 30,000 views with a lot of fun, interesting comments.

duceditor likes this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Link! Link! :D

-don

19. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Up to 55,000, baby!!