String trees are they nessary?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by whaynes3, Aug 9, 2018 at 9:03 PM.

1. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    just got a great deal on a W/D licensed fender neck, with a light nitro finish, don’t really want to drill The headstock. So are they a must do on a setup?

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-Nut

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Are you going to use staggered tuners?

3. Dan Martian

Dan Martian Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2014
    San Marcos, Texas
    If you use staggered tuner posts, you can get away without string trees. There are a few companies that make them in vintage sizes and even locking tuners like Schaller and Sperzel (that have been doing staggered posts for about 25-30 years). You may notice a subtle difference in how your unwound strings bends, but that's about it, other than maybe some improvement in tuning stability.

4. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    If you have a strat with trees - you could pop the strings out of them and see how you like it. Granted it won't have the same effect as the staggered tuners (unless you have a whole lot of wrap). My personal preference is with trees, there is a subtle but noticeable difference to me in how the strings feel with and without them.

5. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    I have kluson 19.1 ratio tuners but to answer the question.... no

6. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    That's a good question but i love the round ones. try it without and see how it goes.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    One of my four guitars (a Strat) has a single tree, and the other three (another Strat and two Teles) each have two.

I've tried them all with no trees. The strings don't pop out of the nut when I play, but some of the unwound strings tend to ring out behind the nut, which bugs the hell outta me. The trees stop that ringing.

Loin Lover and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The original Eric Johnson sig Strat came without trees..
    I built one with out them..Used staggered tuners..I ended up putting one tree on for the 1st 2 strings..
    The 6 in line tuners is one thing that I never thought was a good idea on the Fenders..But I ain't dumb enough to argue with Leo..

Loin Lover, dbrian66 and mdparent03 like this.
  9. MikeyH

MikeyH Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Hawaii
    dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-Nut

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    That's funny... my new Bullet Tele's G string did that (only one tree on B-e), and I kept hearing it at odd times. When I figured out what it was, I put a tiny blob of solder on the string between the tuner and the nut to detune it a little, and it doesn't do it any more. Another tree might be a good long-term solution if I get tired of soldering.

dbrian66 and mdparent03 like this.
  11. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Wouldn’t a big rubber band take out the ringing on the high strings behind the nut?

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I've read about people doing the same thing with Scotch tape, or sticking something else on or under the strings behind the nut. That's just one more task to perform every time you change strings, and I'm far too lazy for that nonsense.

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-Nut

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Exactly why I said "Another tree might be a good long-term solution if I get tired of soldering." :)

dbrian66 and LutherBurger like this.
  14. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Even with the staggered tuners that I have used in the past, I still end up putting at least one tree. The stagger is really not low enough on the first two strings like @Papa Joe said. I have taken the D/G tree off most of my strats too with no ill affects.

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    One the first guitars I ever put together, probably 30 years ago, has no string trees. I didn’t do it for any reason other than I didn’t know I was supposed to. That said, I don’t really notice anything bad about playing it. No plans to put any on at this point. It’s the black guitar in the center.

2700E62E-9599-4032-A767-A26CC0EB4CE8.jpeg

Loin Lover likes this.
  16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Not necessarily. If the nut has a nice downward slope toward the trees and you have enough wraps you can get away without them.

I say try it and see!

Wizzer and dbrian66 like this.