string noise

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by gary mitchell, Nov 11, 2019.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have a lakland 3tbs hollow body , I use Fender Flatwounds on it. But i get a lot of string noise and rattle , its very noticeable, it all hollow but made from thick wood. anyone know how to cure this problem. Someone told me to put some foam under the strings close to the bridge, This is some what an expensive bass. lakland-skyline-hollow-body-bass_360_ab2dd04418179096748a8fb55f03d906.jpg

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Needs a setup I'd say - sounds like fret buzz. Proper truss rod relief, action height, and intonation then go from there....

3. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    If you dont know how to set it up take it somewhere

4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    If it's not fret buzz, and it is rattling at the bridge, it's possible one or more of the saddle height adjustment screws isn't secure/tight.

5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    You definitely want a good set up, but with rattling or vibrating noises you also want to make sure all of your fittings are snug. Common things to look for would be all of the fittings at the bridge - make sure mounting screws are snug, make sure saddle height and intonation screws are snug. Another common thing I see on my bench is tuners loose in the head stock -make sure the bushings are snug and if your tuners have mounting screws make sure those are snug, too. Check the pickup rings and the truss rod cover, too. And when you're checking all the fittings and 'snugging them up' don't overdo it - hand tools only, no power tools and go easy.

Every time you play your strings are vibrating. This is all stuff you can check periodically or at each string change. Some instruments just need that little TLC a little more often. A couple of the bass players I gig with will use a dampener just past the nut to keep resonances in check. No reason why you couldn't try a dampener at the bridge behind the saddles. But check all of your metal fittings to be sure. You'll get to know that bass a bit more, for sure.

Lakland makes a few really fine playing and sounding basses - yours is a beauty!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I went ahead and had a setup done on it, I got it done by a pro. He went plum through it and what ever he done it plays real nice now.

-r3-, Best1989 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice