String Height

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by sgham53, Jul 24, 2012.

1. sgham53

sgham53 Squier Talker

I'm want to lower the action a little on my Strat SE, what's a good string height to go by? Also, I seem to be getting a string buzz/rattle (on D string mostly) when lowering the action, would this indicate a neck adjustment is needed?

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Dr. Squier

Maybe just raise that saddle a tad..Might need fret leveling but I'd raise that saddle first.

3. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Squier-Meister

+1 to what Papa Joe posted.
    Also, look down the length of your neck to see if you notice any bowing.
    If so, give your truss rod about a quarter turn clockwise, let it settle for a couple of hours, sight down the neck again and if it's now straighter, try adjusting the string height again. Best of luck

4. woody85

woody85 Squier-Meister

I had the same problem and gave my truss rod a 1/4 turn and wa-lah. Also this might sound like a dumb question, but check your pickup hieght.

I had my g string that was getting a nasty buzz so I am look at the saddles, the bridge even the nut trying to figure it out, then finally I realize like an idiot that my pup was too high and a post was just slightly touching it. Good luck

5. djmarcelca

djmarcelca Squier-Meister

6. JoshNortley

JoshNortley Squier-Nut

i think recomended is about a 8th of an incah at the thwelth fret, I use the quarter at the twleth which is just right for my playing style.

7. Andrew M

Andrew M Squier-Meister

8. dman

dman Squier-Nut

A lot of folks use a nickel to set string height...a nickel is just about 2mm or 5/64ths inch thick. Put it under your strings at the 12th fret, adjust the saddles until the strings just touch the nickel and Bob's your uncle. (Learned this trick from Malikon over at Strat-Talk...props given when props are due!)

9. djmarcelca

I see a lot of advice; Except none of it is how Fender instructs people how to set up their guitar.

Everyone is different, but The best starting point is to set it up as the factory designed them, then alter for preference.

Once again here is the Link from Fender on how to set up your startocaster:
    http://www.fender.com/en-CA/support/articles/stratocaster-setup-guide

10. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Squier-Meister

I think that's pretty sound advice but, can you really think of anybody that keeps the factory setup as is? ANYBODY???
    From string gauge to pup height to string height?
    I've even seen some set the intonation slightly flat for the upper register just to justify/compensate for string bends.

But, yeah, to each his own.
    Best to all

11. djmarcelca

Right here big guy....

I had to level and dress the frets on my strat to remove a buzz on the 8th fret, and I flattened the trem (don't use it)

But as far as string action, truss adjustment, string gauge (happy coincidence i use 9's and 10's anyway) It's set up directly as per fender spec.

Plays fabulous.

The biggest "CON" in pros vs cons about squiers are that the neck changes so much in transport. Sometimes requiring (like mine) major fretboard surgery before final adjustments can be made.

But once it's done - damn they play nice.

12. RustyFender

RustyFender Squier Talker

I set mine to the specs from Fender and have no problems. I also set my MIM strat the same way and it's good to go.

13. woody85

woody85 Squier-Meister

I think everyone has input and advice to give. Thats what makes these forums great. You hear tips and tricks that are maybe unorthodox to the offical specs. Thats what makes squiers so much fun imo. You can do anything you want to them!