Strat SS pack, short scale Strat

Discussion in 'Pak Rats Nest' started by paulnb57, Jan 15, 2018.

1. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Has anyone tried one of these short scale, hardtail Strats, disappointing that they only come in a pack with an amp etc...I messaged Fender UK and they wont sell me just the guitar, shame, as I'm really into 24" scale...
    Anyone got one, tried one, how do they sound, feel, build quality?
    I may have to buy a pack and throw the rest away!....

2. 4seven3

4seven3 Squier Talker

Jul 23, 2016
    Dallas
    I feel ya! I love the feel of my PRS 245 and have been thinking of doing a short scale neck from Warmoth on my MIM Strat with a 12 or 14in radius!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    Yr talking about the 22.75” scale right? Popular here for undiscerning kids & their parents. You may be unsatisfied w pickups and tuners. I’d rather seek out a proper shortscale—one that’s made for players

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Squier-Nut

Jun 23, 2015
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    I haven't seen inside the SS (24" scale) Strat pack, but it's in stock locally and I may ask to have a look at it. I just LOVE short scale guitars, but for me that really means less than 24".

The Squier Mini (22.75" scale) Strat is also in stock locally as guitar only. That's the V2 version with the new edge jack socket like the SS. I much prefer the first version. That was a serious short scale guitar.

IMO, Fender have got it the wrong way around. The new Mini should be in a pack and the SS Strat sold separately.

Kenneth Mountain and paulnb57 like this.
  5. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I think the new Bullet Mustang is short scale. 24" 12" radius. It's getting good reviews. May be worth considering.

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I tried one in person, thought it was cool.....wish they sold them separately too but that Frontman 10 is not a bad little amp....

posted about it here a few months ago back in August...

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/new-squier-short-scale-packs-like-a-mini-but-bigger.125066/

7. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    No, 24" scale

Already have a Bullet Mustang...

8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Have a VM Mustang?

Got mine last month, really nice guitar and fun to play!

9. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    I already have three Mustangs!

[​IMG]

I'm looking for a Strat vibe with 24" scale, I will probably mod a Mustang to a three pickup Strat style layout, with a bit of routing or a custom body and a custom scratchplate .....

10. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    I had given up hope of getting one of the short scale Squier Strats, never even found one used, until todayI found a new one.........we are on holiday on the English/Welsh border and today we took a short trip to Monmouth to buy groceries, I Googled first to see if the was a local music shop and luckily there was, which desribed itself as a Squier main dealer. Anyroadup, while the boss was looking at fabric in one shop, I was bored rigid and decided to go and find the music shop. They had a couple of the short scale Strats and I tried one out, pretty much convinced myself to buy the complete pack, but spoke to the owner of the shop, telling him how I would love one, but the starter pack was unnessessary for me as I only meed the guitar, he said we sell the Amp anyway so Ill put it into stock if you want the rest of the pack, bit more negotiation and we agreed a price for the guitar only. So, now I am the proud owner of a New, Black, hardtail, 24" scale strat for less then the cost of the whole pack and also less than the custom Mustang body I had almost decided to pursue routed like a Strat........
    I really don't know how Squier do it for the money, very nice fit and finish, nice shape Rosewood neck, no sharp fret ends, I guess the elctrics are a bit low rent, but I have a Bare Knuckle Sinner with backplate, just begging to go into the bridge position and a couple of overwound Iron Gear single coils too, prob need a decent switch and pots eventually......
    I plan to respray the headstock black and apply a more classy decal, probably throw a set of locking tuners at it too eventually.........
    I'll take a photo or two later....

11. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Wow! You could never get a shop to do that here.....you lucky dog!

I like the decal that's on there, wear it proudly :)

12. Spino

Spino Squier-Meister

Apr 19, 2016
    Germany
  13. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
  14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That 24" scale Strat, is it a full size body ?

15. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Don't know until I get home from holiday to compare...

16. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    No, same size body as the Mini and not full thickness

17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Ah thanks, makes it less interesting for me then.

18. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    A few photos, note smaller body/scratchplate one vol and one tone, access panel on the rear for the less usual jack socket....
    It is smaller than standard, although I don't have anything here to compare, but it does not feel at all toy like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Thought I would share a few thoughts on this Joker, now I have had it a while........I bought this while away on holiday and didn't put it through an amp until I got home......It was OK, but nothing special......about what I expected for a cheap guitar, side by side with a standard size Strat there is not much difference in the size of the body outline, however it is thinner. Nice and lightweight though.
    Frets were well polished with no sharp ends however they were not very level, so I removed the neck to give it a bit of love, while it was off I tried a Standard 25.5 scale neck in the body, it fitted perfectly and as a bonus the scale length measured right! So if you could source a neck from one of these, you could comvert a Standard Strat to 24" scale......
    While apart I swapped out the pickups, a Bare Knuckle Sinner with backplate at the bridge and two Iron Gear overwound singles at middle and neck....overkill perhaps, but they were sitting in the parts box unused. I left the long scale neck on and restrung it, as you do...the rest of the electrics are standard Squier and will probavly get changed out eventually along with a treble bleed as it gets a bit muddy with the volume backed off, losing its chime and top end....So I straightened the neck, filed, recrowned and polished the fret and refitted the short neck, I could reuse the 10 gauge strings as the neck is shorter!
    Also changed the vol and tone knobs for the ones that came off the Bullet Mustang......

Nothing to see here!!

[​IMG]

20. WoDan23

WoDan23 Squier Talker

Mar 19, 2018
    United States
    Hey guys I just picked up one of these short scale packs trying to get back into playing after a hiatus. I’m trying to learn more about the setup but there is not a lot of info. Anyone know the difference between a short scale and a standard or affinity? I also noticed it came with a fender frontman 10g amp, and had all the fender tags and stickers, but it does have a Squier logo on the front not fender. It’s a little odd of a guitar, is it much worse than an affinity? My last Squier I had was a blonde Squier ‘51 and I regret selling that thing every day. This seems so-so so far, but I haven’t played in a realllyyyy long while so just trying to pick up the basics again.