Strat SE

Discussion in 'Pak Rats Nest' started by 3 Chord Hippie, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Ses are cool. Good project guitars at good prices. I miss mine! Maybe time for another? Hmmm.

Kenneth Mountain and Loin Lover like this.
  2. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I'm going thru a telebalozza thing presently, so I've been moving some little played guitars. While doing another cleanout yesterday, I ran into my two SE's one finished and one project. After hemming and hawing for a while, I decided to put them back in the closet for future considerations. DSCN2465.JPG

3. bigdogdaddy

bigdogdaddy Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2018
    Kansas
    I picked up two this week for about 75 each. Both are black. I have a burst one tho with the red tourties pick guard. Necks on both the ones in my possession are awesome

4. bigdogdaddy

bigdogdaddy Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2018
    Kansas
    I gave away an SE body on here a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realize how awesome it was until I stripped it all down. I should have kept it and painted it (You know how bad I hate black guitars). Oh well, live and learn.

5. I'm not a big fan of Stratocasters with black bodies and white p/g's … but … I did an Eric Clapton "Blackie" SE (extensive mods)

Blackie SE-01.jpg
    Blackie SE-02.jpg

Prior to that I did a reverse color, aged (heirloom) white and black pick guard SE. This one ... I thru everything at it.

Heirloom white SE.jpg

Something to think about on the black SE's that come your way. Cheers, Barrie. ;)

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    There are too many black SE’s in the world. Luckily, this is a problem easily solved with a can of spray paint. Here is the last black SE I bought.

21255FB4-AA20-43E0-B904-AF3AE8AA0F31.jpeg

7. Like cotton candy that one … nice n sweet @dbrian66

Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Babysitting a friend's guitar chapter II coming - as another buddy of mine left me his Fender Mexican Standard to do some upgrades and repairs, and of course I couldn't avoid but playing around with it and see how it compared to my custom SE. It's not the first "real" Fender I've played, but it's the first time I get to keep one for a while and it's been very entertaining indeed.

Back on topic, I can say this guitar definitely made me like my SE even more. Two things I thought would be better on something carrying the Fender brand than on my SE were the neck, that always felt to me a tad chunky, and the weight. Well, turns out, my SE weights seemingly the same as his Fender and the neck profile is actually thinner and more comfortable on mine! Sure I do prefer finished maple fretboards over unfinished rosewood and the neck finish of his is prettier and smoother, but overall I preferred mine. Also, the body contouring of my SE looked just like the Mexi Strat, proving me that the quality of the Squier model is even better than what i thought.

In its current state, mine's not that different from a Mexican Strat, given it has upgraded hardware and all-new electronics, and sure enough I did found the Japanese pickups of mine to sound ever so slightly better; with distortion mine had a nicer chime and articulation of lower and higher frequencies and seemed brighter in arpeggios whereas the Mexi pickups tended to go muddy.

IMG_20181220_155542.jpg

Dave M and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Funny i just pick upped a black SE yesterday...like you said theres plenty ...gonna strip it down and paint it with a tele project I got going...

dbrian66 likes this.