Strat Mini 4 Non-Player

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by CDLehner, Feb 9, 2020.

1. CDLehner

CDLehner Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Hello. I'm 52; always loved players, and the guitars. Can't play a lick :(

I try to "noodle", and am looking...to just have a little fun. As such...I want to take my little Mini; and spruce it up a bit.

New tuners, new strings; the normal "must-do" upgrades...for Squires.

I got some cool tuners (Black Grover Rotor Minis)...and was going to also re-string; most likely with 9s. But I saw a video...one of many, of course; but this particular one...suggested heavier string, even than "normal". Because of the shorter scale, of the neck of this guitar. Like 11 or 12s!

Thoughts? o_O

Mr Bones and Angry Possum like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

That's correct... shorter scales produce less string tension for a given tuning, so minis are normally strung with heavier strings than "normal" scale guitars. If you figure out what's on it now, you can evaluate how you like the feel and go from there. If you have a micrometer you can measure the strings. A dial or vernier caliper will do if you don't have a mic.

Angry Possum likes this.
  3. CDLehner

CDLehner Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Thanks Jim Jim Jim, lol. I don't have a micrometer...or vernier caliper.

Strings are cheap enough. Whatever anyone suggests...and then I'll know what I have; and can maybe go from there.

I wanted to go lighter; but...since heavy is "recommended", I guess the lighter of the heavier :confused:

11s??

4. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Nut

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'd try 9's first. That's just me. I'm daring mostly always.

PS. I've been pondering the idea of purchasing a mini strat soon.

5. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    All 3 of my guitars are that scale length( two are mini necks) and my strings I think are the equivalent to regular 11 string tension

6. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I started with my usual 10s on my mini and found them to be too rubbery. I tended to over fret and over bend. 11s took care of that and didn't "feel" heavy at all.

Mr Bones likes this.
  7. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Sounds like a really cool project!

If you go with light gauge strings such as 9s on this guitar, make sure you play with a very light touch, otherwise notes might go sharp.

Mr Bones likes this.
  8. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I play 9s on my full-length Strat and I calculated that 10s would give the same string tension on the shorter Mini scale length. They do feel very similar to play on.

-Neil

Mr Bones likes this.
  9. CDLehner

CDLehner Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    UPDATE - Haven't started work yet; well...except un-stringing the thing.

I did find, a Black bridge...that appears, to be a direct fit

310193426405One.jpg

Yes; between the Black Roto-Minis...and this Black bridge. I'm kinda doing, a black-on-black thing.

Any suggestions...about the pick-guard?? From what I can tell...there is like, NO direct replacement; and it only comes in white (and even that...like for painting; can only be found, on another Squier Mini). I thought about, getting one cut out of "metal".; kinda like, the J5 Sig

Telecaster_jr9b24.jpg

I was worried...about any "weird" interactions; but I guess I kinda answered my own question.

Good enough, for John...lol.

10. Barry

Barry Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    I think string gauge on any guitar is about personal preference.

My daughter has a Mini which I strung with 10s and that feels right to me. However... she wants to play but quickly gets frustrated because she can’t play anything she recognises. She’s only 8 but she wants to rock out, not play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star! Last night I dropped the low E to D so she can do one finger power chords. The tension in the low E is still okay and it made me realise that I should probably put 9s on for her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice