Strat Bullet owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nyoungfan, May 6, 2017.

1. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Anyone notice that "bullet" has a two point trem? Just curious, is it possibly a standard body with an older MIJ tele "Bullet" neck. Have you ever had the neck off the body, Nyoungfan, and if so, do you remember any markings in the neck pocket and as well on the end of the neck?
    I'm no where near as well versed in all things squire as our current guru's. I just happened to notice the two point trem and was curious when they actually started producing those.

nyoungfan likes this.
  2. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Oh , Sorry where are my manner's, must have the vapor's. Howdy Nyoungfan, and welcome aboard sir.

nyoungfan likes this.
  3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Welcome Nyoungfan! Nice guitars!

I have the same Bullet, although mine was modded a bit when I bought it, but I believe it is also a MIJ E6. A prior owner installed alnico pickups and a custom guard with Tele bridge. Great sounding and playing guitar.

These are laminated body guitars, but very resonant.

Here is the master list of Squier models. Go to page 389 for details. If you have an E6 plate, it is not the earlier SQ first version, which is the most coveted of all of the 3 versions.
    http://www.woolbrightvideo.com/files/forums/SquierSpecs.pdf

Here is my guitar and a link to more info about it for background. I was pretty clueless when I first bought the guitar, which was my first Squier, only a few years back. These pics were before I even cleaned it up, it looks much better now and even has matching knobs!
    https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/which-squier-bullet-strat-has-tele-neck.58357/

100_7289.jpg 100_7290.jpg Bullet (vertical).jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    nyoungfan likes this.
  4. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Nitro,
    A lot of the Squier Bullets of mid 1980's had the early version of the 2 point trem. However, it is a different animal than the modern one you may be familiar with. The 2 trem pivot screws are just hardened wood screws with machined grooves near the top to mate with the holes in the trem plate. There are no splined inserts to press into the body like the modern ones.

Here is a thread that may help you understand better.
    https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/anyone-actually-using-early-mij-mik-2-point-trem-vibrato.88398/

As you can see in my thread, they are a little failure prone, due to the string tension shifting the screws sideways (towards the neck) as you can see.

Here's another of my MIJ Squiers with that arrangement. Almost everybody who has these keeps them decked and don't use the trem.

2015-01-30 06.17.42.jpg 2015-01-30 06.33.42.jpg

nyoungfan likes this.
  5. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Welcome, you came to the right place. I learned Neil Young songs a long time ago as my first songs.

That Bullet looks like it had a few mods. I'm guessing the neck didn't come with that body, or vice-versa. You sure kept it in good shape though.

Anyway, I love the thin neck Bullets. I have three of them.

nyoungfan likes this.
  6. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

The OP's guitar is original and correct. One way to identify these early MIJ and MIK Squier Bullets is that the output jack is on the pick guard, just below the knobs. Nyoungfan's and my sunburst one above are identical in that respect. These also have bodies that are smaller in size than a regular Stratocaster. There is also no forearm relief cut into the front of the body, or a tummy cut on the back. The forearm relief and tummy cut are on 1987-on MIK models. Also note the Bullet 1 star logo on the head stock, another indicator of the early Bullets and not found on modern Bullets.

There are also genuine smaller-body Fender Bullets with a similar logo and these are quite collectible and expensive these days.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    nyoungfan likes this.
  7. ManKonis

ManKonis Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    London
    Welcome my friend
    I am new here but I can promise you will be looked after very well here.

These guys knows evrything and they are happy to help you.

Just send as much pictures as possible!!

Very nice bullet by the way.

nyoungfan likes this.
  8. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  9. jjjjj

jjjjj Squier Talker

May 12, 2017
    Philly
    Hi all. Thought I would chime in with the Bullet crowd. I recently traded for what I call a Bullet-caster - parts caster American Special Telecaster with an 80s Squier Bullet neck. I've been trying to find some info about the neck but this one differs from most I see online.
    • Squire Bullet 1 logo
    • Is not stamped "Bullet" on the neck heal like many I see online
    • No date hand-written written on the heal like others I see
    • "76" written in big black numbers
    • Tuners labeled "Fender" in red script; no "Made in Japan" markings
    • No "Made in Korea" anywhere, but decals can be removed.
    Michael A over on tdpri thinks it's a mid-80s MIJ. What do you think?

Gallery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nyoungfan likes this.
  10. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I'm Michael A. on TDPRI. My MIJ Bullet with this same neck is shown above in this thread, as is the original posters. The MIJs were heel adjust, the MIKs were head stock adjust. Rosewood solid plug at the headstock drilling. My neck is also not stamped Bullet.

100_7300.jpg

nyoungfan and jjjjj like this.
  11. jjjjj

jjjjj Squier Talker

May 12, 2017
    Philly
    Thanks Michael! I followed the link you suggested to here and here we are again! Thanks for reconfirming. Love the Bullet + Telecaster combo!

nyoungfan likes this.
  12. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Note nyoungfan's pics in post #8. It is the same neck as yours and mine, with Tele square heel in a Bullet Strat body, which is the original application. Note also solid wood plug on headstock due to heel adjust truss rod.

See the link in post 23 above, to page 389 of the Squier master listing compiled by Woolbrig. This will give you additional documentation.

13. jjjjj

jjjjj Squier Talker

May 12, 2017
    Philly
    I'll check out all those resources. The things that threw me off were the lack of heal stamp, written date, and "made in japan" tuners. I'm glad to hear that the heal adjustment vs. neck truss rod adjustment is the key to confirming that it's MIJ. Thanks again!

nyoungfan likes this.
  14. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Here is a E7 MIK that I have, headstock truss rod adj., contured body, 2-point trem. It's all original with a full size trem. block made of zinc. Not the greatest guitar being all stock, but fun to pick up once in awhile. Forgot to add that it has fender stamped saddles and American spaced bridge.

Attached Files:

15. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    1984 MIJ body with stamped saddles, full size steel block, modded by previous owner with American pups and a E7 Korean neck. That fender humbucker was hacked in but it plays awesome, if I ever find another pg I will either change it back to sss or make the humbucker look like it was born there..

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      122.4 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      114.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      115.8 KB
      Views:
    nyoungfan likes this.
  16. nyoungfan

nyoungfan Squier Talker

May 6, 2017
    Midwest
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been way for a week, so I'm just catching up now.

I'm attaching more photos. One shows the Made in Korea sticker on the back of the headstock that also shows the tuners. Another shows the neckplate with the serial number. It's E615794.

I'm confused about what model mine is, or what models the different parts are from if it had been modded before I bought it. Could the tele neck be Korean-made as the sticker indicates but the strat body Japanese-made?

I'm taking it in for a repair. There's a short in the cord jack, and so I haven't played it in a couple of years. I don't know if the cost of the repair will be worth it, but I really like this guitar, so I'm sure I'll get it repaired. I can ask the shop for more details on this guitar. E.g., Is mine a smaller body than a regular strat? Neck radius? Someone asked if I've ever taken the neck off, and I haven't. I can ask the shop to check it out to tell me more about it.

My curiosity about the specs of it are that I'm probably going to buy another, better electric, and I want something with a similar feel size-wise. Most likely a Strat in the $500 to $1000 range. Open to other kinds, too.

This is a great place. Really glad to have found it and you guys. So many guitar forums and shops have a lot of attitude and not knowing much about guitars and having a Bullet seems to bring that out in some people. Obviously not here. Great vibe here.

Attached Files: