Starting young

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by TomL, May 19, 2017.

1. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

My dad has been digging out old photos.
    It looks like I started younger than I thought!

ImageUploadedBySquier-Talk Forum1495219692.540856.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySquier-Talk Forum1495219706.046418.jpg

That's my Mam's Yamaha, which I now have.

2. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I like how you control that ball of light.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Obviously checking the neck for straightness and relief.

DaveDrums, so1om and Brever like this.
  4. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Priceless!

so1om likes this.
  5. I certain I did the same thing since guitars where always around our house. I tried to teach my grandson last year when he was 12. Instantly complained of sore finger tips ... my response was, "no pain no gain". He's never touched it since. Video games are much easier on the tender fingers of todays children.

Cheers, Barrie.

6. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Yeah, the sore finger tips put me off for a while! But I came back round and managed to spend time as teenager playing guitar and video games too.

I'm not a huge gamer, but I do enjoy them. A lot of games these days are not only great to play, but have really good and intricate stories - as good as TV or films.

7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Exposure in youth is a very fine thing. To music. To sports. To arts. To literature. To science.

Sometimes a child discovers that they share their parent's interest. Other times not.

It doesn't matter -- well, at least as I see it. That exposure allows them the opportunity. Their heart can take it from there.

My parents bought an old piano for my older sister, and then when I reached a certain age signed me up for lessons too.

No thank you!

Then they borrowed a clarinet from an uncle who played and signed me up for lessons on that.

Nope.

When at age 13 or 14 my best buddy started playing guitar I asked my folks if I could have one. Then it was their turn to speak. "No. We gave you the opportunity to learn two instruments and you did not follow through on either." So I saved my lawn-mowing money -- even lining up a few additional lawns to mow -- and bought my own. An inexpensive piece of junk with action a half inch high.

Bad action be damned. Bloody fingers? So what! I was determined and made rapid and steady progress.

My industry impressed my dad. When it proved enduring he offered to purchase me a decent instrument and to get me lessons if I wished them.

That time my answer was different. "Yes, thank you!"

Some fifteen or so years later it was my turn. I taught my own son starting at age five. To play. To read music. He had fun for a time. Got good enough even to play at a family friend's wedding. But then quit and went on to other things.

He was being he. I was a bit disappointed, but fine with it.

When he was playing I set standards re practice time, and set aside plenty of time for duets and the like.

Now, well into his forties, he does the same for me with his interests. "Come on pops -- you can learn to do this!"

Uh huh.

Ob bla di ob la da life goes on...

-don

DaveDrums likes this.