Starter Guitars? I Don't Think So!

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Old Crow, Mar 20, 2019.

1. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I've got 4 racks full of 'Starter Guitars'. Granted, any would be excellent to start your guitar journey learning on. It's too bad that 'Starter' has developed such a bed connotation sometimes it really pi$$es me off in the sales description. Just because a guitar plays very easy, great action and decent stock body/neck/sound it gets put into the starter pile. It goes back to my argument, what is enough? All of my guitars allow for a far better player than I or than I'll ever be. I won't name them all here, I just did it in the appreciate cheap guitars thread. I'm extremely pleased and well satisfied with my starter guitars. Sure I get serious gass, but it's for Peavey Raptor I & Limited's, Washburn Maverick BT's, Austin's, Jay Turser's, and Firefly's.

2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    There was a salesman at Sam Ash that came up while I was lookin at a Bullet Strat and said "Diggin that Squier, huh?" And I thought, "Yup, here comes the snobbery" and so I said, "Yeah, Squiers are kinda my thing..." And he says, "Ya know, I just can't bring myself to step on stage with a Squier..." And I thought to myself, "I wonder how many times you've stepped onstage at all?"
    I gigged for 20 years with my '97 MIM Squier Stratocaster, and especially in the last year that I've been hangin around here and learning how to work on my own guitars, that makes ZERO sense...

I've honestly come to believe that SquierNuts like myself, are just more secure in their instruments AND their playing, because if we can get 100% REAL for a second; Anybody that can open up a Squier and work on it and knows what's goin on inside KNOWS that Fenders have the EXACT same things inside... The ONLY difference is that if their expensive Fender starts cuttin out or not workin, they're gonna have to take it to "their guy" or a shop and wind up paying a TON more money for something that many of us could fix in 10 minutes for a dollar or two (if that)...
    One of my buddies is a total corksniffer and gives me hell and my Squiers all the time... "At LEAST get a MIM, Man... They're WORTH it..."
    This is the same guy who paid $400 for a head, another $350 for a cab, came over, plugged it in, played it for LITERALLY 30-60 seconds then turned it off, said something was "off" and that he'd have to take it to "his guy"... And throw even MORE money at it... Yet comments how great my Squiers sound...
    SMH...

But ya know what? I actually PREFER all the snobbery to what's happening now... Now everybody is realizing how great Squiers are and all the prices are goin up...

3. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Exactly the same opinion. I have 40+ telecasters, at least 40 Squiers... I'll never play better than the quality of my guitars.
    So let's keep the quality of Squier guitars to ourselves, and always acknowledge that they are bad. Prices will stay down, and everyone here will benefit. Deal?

4. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

My "starter guitars" are all right by me, and have been playing, off and on, for 50 years....modern production methods have led to this being a golden age for guitarists on a budget...my collection is populated with mostly Squiers and Epis, with an old Harmony, a BMG, and a Fender Thinline Tele thrown in.....love 'em all

5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Those that look down on Squires, Epis, etc. are probably the same ones pay well over $100 for a pair of jeans so they have the correct brand name.

Me? I love my Squires and Epis and buy my jeans at Bass Pro Shop during their Black Friday sales for $9.00. Most comfortable jeans I've ever had.

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

I think you guys will find this interesting.
    In 1964 when Fender introduce the Mustang as their starter guitar, I had saved enough paper route money to get it. When I got to the shop to buy it, the Mustang was setting next to a new Telecaster. Odd thing was, the Mustang sold for $189, while the new Tele was $186. The Tele was $3 cheaper than the Mustang. And both guitars included hard shell cases. I probably should have bought the Tele, but at 15 I was just too cool.

7. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    I like that my butthole doesn’t pucker when a friend or kid picks up one of my starter guitars without asking

Kenneth Mountain and FhPudd like this.
  8. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I just don't buy in to the whole snobbery of "The mahogany for the body was hand picked by drunken yard gnomes and perfectly bookmatched by a little old lady from Norway. The rock hard Loose Leaf Maple top was air-dried for fifteen years in a climate controlled room before being hand-carved by this dOOd from some obscure place in Europe . . ." You get the idea.

CNC/CAD CAM production methods make the so called "Started or Beginner" guitar so much more playable right off the wall and they are consistently well made. I can't justify a top shelf custom shop Gibby LP, MIA Strat or Private Reserve PRS McCarty. Pretty woods, yes but was it worth that much more? Is the tone so magical that it doesn't have to go to "My Guy" for improvement? Does hot hide glue really sound better than yellow carpenter's glue in a body or neck joint?

I suspect much of that need for a high end guitar is just the need to say you have one or you're really into cork sniffing. Maybe you hang out with dOOds that have never played a Squier. Or they would put you donw for playing a Squier, a beginner guitar.

I just spent two nights recently gigging with a Squier Affinity P-Bass, bought used, all stock except for new strings. It performed admirably and did its job with no drama. At the end of the first night, two dOOds came up to the stage just to confirm I had used a Squier bass and a Fender Rumble 500 combo amp. They were totally blown away by those revelations.

9. FhPudd

FhPudd Squier Talker

Nov 28, 2012
    Pa.
    I’ve just been reading reviews and watching YouTube videos on the Bullet strats and it drives me crazy that they all say good for beginners or it’s a great first guitar,which it is,but they’re so much more than that. It’s a great guitar period! Beginner or not. Same with the Affinities and all the rest of the Squiers.

10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    2018-12-10 09.15.43.jpg My Squier parts Tele that sounds and plays like a dream :0).

It's like the pawn shop owner said to me a while back.

Those Squiers will only last long enough to learn on. Then you get a real guitar .

Me ----> :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Old Crow

Old Crow Squier Talker

Mar 7, 2019
    West Midlands UK
    The quality of manufacture and the fit of parts is pretty damn fine now and everything lines up and can be adjusted. I've played some great vintage guitars (I'm "vintage" myself) but not everything from the past was wonderful by any means. Go back to the 70's when both major brands had been taken over by big combines and the emphasis was on ever-increasing production and cost cutting. I remember Strats and Teles where the neck/body joint was way off - where you had thick laquer even on the neck face and up over the frets, weak pickups and neck shapes so poor some were almost square. Then there were Gibsons that were truly horrid - check out the cheapened SG100/200 or where they cut holes in the front of a 335 to put the controls in one a plate or even one semi with a tele-style control plate. Oh - and rubbish playability. You don't get anything like that, even on a Bullet - my £115 Bullet Strat was playable right off the shop wall!

Kenneth Mountain and kenneth like this.
  12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Squier Talker

Jun 27, 2010
    UK
    I got into buying Squier starter pack strats really cheap .I would then part out and sell them .Mainly Affinity and SE .I was impressed just how good they were AFTER a good set up .It seems most never had one and doomed theitr learner players to giving it all up .Mosy I got were a string downand badly set up trem ,no decent intonation and a high action .After some fettlin foolin and a pickup lowering they were all quite respectable and one ,an affinity ,really was afine guitar after a fret level and a alnico pickup change .I already had a loaded pickguard.Naturally being dumb I parted it out and sold it keeping the loaded guard .The Squier Bullet Mustang was afine instrument .A quick fret polish and was really sweet .

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    You have probably already seen Johan Segeborn talk about his Affinity tele in several vids on YouTube?
    He shows how he can do Led Zep, Stones etc. He is a terrific player and has some really fun content.
    Anyhow, I asked him about it, and he said it was all stock with no mods and he absolutely loved it.
    If it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me!

Check him out if you haven’t seen!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice