Standard vs Affinity series bass

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by javon7065, Feb 16, 2017.

1. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Hello all. New to the forum and playing bass (about 1 year now) I've had a Squier P Bass special since about 2000 but have not spent serious time with it until the past year. Serial is YN748174. From the wikipedia article on Squiers I see that this bass was made in Yako in 1997. I only recently noticed the "Affinity series" in very small print on the headstock. What is the difference between this and the Standard series? When I bought this I knew next to nothing about basses and asked the guy at the music store for a good beginner bass.

The bridge pickup makes quite a buzzing sound so I figured I'd replace the pickups since they are close to 20 years old and most likely not the best in the first place. What is recommended as an upgrade?

Also, I am interested now in getting a Jazz bass and am wondering what the build quality is these days with Squiers vs Fender. This bass is candy apple red, which I now hate, and would love to get a sunburst finish with the tortoiseshell pick-guard.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

leekirkham likes this.
  2. leekirkham

leekirkham Squier-Meister

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Hey there Javon7065,

I have a lot of info on Squier P Bass Specials...except for the Affinity series. I am still trying to gather information on these. From what little I've found so far, I suspect that the Affinity P Bass Specials were not originally imported to the U.S. and maybe only introduced in foreign markets. But like I said, I have very little verifiable information thus far.

Concerning the buzzing on your bass, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss checking the electronic connections first. It could likely be that there is a solder connection that needs re-doing, which is a quick and simple fix. If the Affinity PBS pickups are like the Standard series ones, they're not half bad. I used mine for a LONG time before I ever changed to something more upscale.

Concerning your search for a Jazz, the Squier Classic Vibe series produces a Jazz bass with fantastic sound and build quality for a fraction of the cost of a low-end Fender. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in sound between the two.

One last thing, since you don't care for the red P Bass Special you have, if you're interested in selling it, shoot me a message and we can discuss. I hope some of what I shared will help you. Be sure to post some photos of your bass when you get a moment.

jeepster61605 likes this.
  3. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Thanks for the info Lee. I think I'll be holding onto the PBS as it's my first bass. Just tired of the color. I've never even changed strings much less repair a pickup but I'd like to try. Are there videos on doing this? I will review the Classic Vibe Jazz Basses. I've just assumed for awhile that I'd like to get a "real" Fender as they must be better than the Squier line but I have learned a lot from reading here and other sites that the Squier line is hard to beat for hobbyist players like myself

4. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Any suggestions on where to get a replacement pickguard? What I really don't like about my PBS is the white pickguard. Looking at pics of red basses with black pickguards has inspired me to change it out.

Found this one site. Not for a Squier but should fit the PBS correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Bass-Scratchplate-Pickguard-for-Fender-P-Bass-Pick-Guard-3-Ply-Color/191927967567?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=41394&meid=d6d456a10d814ab5b5f1f72e25b26d3b&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=391495733791

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  5. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I am yet to change bass strings. Some are over 30 years old.

The VM Jaguar Bass Special is a good all around bass. I've been using mine nonstop in my gigging band for over 2 years.

Bob T likes this.
  6. leekirkham

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    For Squier Pickguards (especially P Bass Special) go here.

7. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Thanks Lee. Great site. Ordered a black one

8. leekirkham

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Glad to be of service!

9. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    Check out the VM 70s J Bass. I'm partial to the black inlays on the maple board. I have the natural finish body.

Bob T likes this.
  10. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    I was looking at that one and just the regular VM J Bass. What are the differences besides the different fret markers and the color of the pickguard? I prefer the tortoiseshell which the '77 VM J bass does not come with

11. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Some pics as requested. This bass is an oddity I guess. It's never been played live and spent most of it's life either on a stand or sitting in a closet.

upload_2017-2-21_15-55-16.jpeg

upload_2017-2-21_15-56-7.jpeg

12. leekirkham

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I've seen other Affinity P Bass Special basses before, but have yet to find out any info on them. I suspect they were never meant for U.S. import, but cannot confirm that whatsoever. Just speculation on my part. I'll keep digging and see what I can find.

Is there any indication on where it was manufactured? Indonesia, China, Korea? Let me know if you see something printed on it. Thanks.

13. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    javon, as far as I can tell, the regular VM has a Basswood body, Maple neck, Rosewood finger board( with white inlaid dot markers) and chromed metal control plate knobs. The VM 70s has a "Soft Maple" body (still hard, but softer than Hard Maple), Maple neck, Maple finger board and chromed metal control plate knobs. Besides the inlaid blocks the finger board also has a real black binding(in the past some erroneously believed the blocks and/or binding were painted on). The VM 70s AFAIK, is modeled after an early 70s Jbass, the natural finish one released first since the natural finish was presumably popular in the 70s. Then other colors followed. The VM 77 has an Agathis body, Maple neck, Maple finger board and black plastic control plate knobs. In addition, the finger board has a white binding and white Pearloid block inlays.

AFAIK, the hardware is the same across the models. And as you mentioned, the VM only comes with TS PG while the 70s and 77 come with black PG. All models should be very similar, varying mostly in appearance. I assume the price difference of $50 comes from the binding and block inlays and possibly the cost differential of the different tones woods.

I would say, all things being equal, go with what looks better to your eye.

14. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    It was make in Yako (Taiwan) in 1997 per the serial number and it states Made in China on the back of the neck where it attaches to the body. Why do suspect they were never meant for U.S. import?

15. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Thanks so much for the detail. I thought it may be mostly appearance differences. I would like to get a lighter one than what I have now if that is possible. Not sure what what type of wood it is or even how heavy. Among the Basswood, agathis and maple, which is lighter?

16. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Receieved the new PG last night and changed it out. What a difference! As I have read on other forums there is concern about replacement PGs having 13 holes vs 14 and this one fit that bill. Not a big deal but it did require me to drill a new hole as one of the holes on the new PG didn't match up at all

17. leekirkham

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Over the years I have found that there are models made in China for other markets than the U.S. These are the models which seem to be extremely difficult to find any information on for some reason. That's what makes me suspect.

18. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    From lightest to heaviest, I would say, Basswood, Agathis and Maple. However, there are several species considered Soft Maple, ie, Big Leaf Maple from the Pacific NW is about the same weight as Agathis while Red Maple from the NE is heavier.

Some say Basswood dents easily. Watch out for that, if that matters to you.

References:
    http://www.wood-database.com/kauri/
    http://www.wood-database.com/basswood/
    http://www.wood-database.com/bigleaf-maple/

19. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The poly is so heavy on these basses, it's barely a concern (especially if it's an older one). My original '51 ('05) fell on the top edge of its upper horn on concrete from 3 feet, bounced back into my hands (as I was trying to catch it), and had only a small scuff on the poly (no dent), I was able to buff it out.

20. javon7065

javon7065 Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2017
    Phila
    Was at Sam Ash yesterday and they had both the VM Jazz and the VM '77 jazz. The '77 was much lighter then the other one and the tag said it was Agathis. The non '77 said basswood. I ended up going with the non '77 VM Jazz either though it was a bit heavier due to it being $50 cheaper and already having the pickguard that I wanted. I couldn't really feel a difference between the two other than weight.