Squires smaller than Fenders?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by kharrisma, May 11, 2020.

1. kharrisma

kharrisma Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    NH, USA
    Hi Forum Folke,

I have what might be a strange question: is there a version of Squier strats that is smaller than "standard?" Reason I'm asking is the Squier Standard I just got is giving me fits; it seems like the neck is too narrow... I have a great deal of trouble producing clean notes in places (like fretting the second string at the first fret... I wind up muting either the first or third unless I take scrupulous pains to come straight down on it... and if I move even a little, the mute happens again.) I used to play a Strat Plus many years ago, and I absolutely cannot recall having this kind of issue with it. Using a vernier and measuring the fingerboard right at the nut, I get 1.596" or 1 19/32" (40.55 mm). My Epiphone "SG" measures 1.695" or 1 11/16" (43.07mm) measured at the same place. That's only a tenth of an inch difference... but it makes all the difference in the world in playability, at least for me. Bought it over the internet, so no chance to play it beforehand, and my knowledge of the full lineup of strats and wanna-be's is fairly sparse. So have my fingers become fatter with age, or am I indeed dealing with a smaller-than-"normal" neck? Thanks so much!!!

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Some Squier necks --Affinity models, I think -- are narrower at the nut than the rest.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    What year is your Squier Standard? If it's a 2004 or earlier, it might have a narrow neck width at the nut, around 40mm or 1.6".....and personally I can't play those well....

Standard for Fender USA is 1.685", Standard/normal for Squier is 1.65"

4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Some models definitely have narrower nut widths than others... I resisted getting a Squier Thinline Tele for years because of how tiny the neck felt to me. Some guys aren’t as sensitive to neck size/shape as others are-I really can’t stand small necks and have sold way too many otherwise good guitars over disliking the necks.

5. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Same with me. I can't do the thin necks. My fingers can't do it.

Eddd, dbrian66, ScoobySnacker and 3 others like this.
  6. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    + 1 on the skinny necks. An Affinity neck just disappears in my hands :(

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

You've hit on the reason I quit buying "off the rack" guitars. I had a custom neck made that's 1-3/4" at the nut, and that spoiled me. My '76 Strat is about 41mm at the nut. I still like to play it, but I avoid the intricate stuff around the nut on that one.

8. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    When I was a kid me and the guys I hung out with hated Epiphone necks. We called them "telephone poles" all my friends and me included were Fender fans. Gibson type necks are wider and flatter. Definitely quite a different animal than Fender/Squier.

dbrian66, LutherBurger, daan and 2 others like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I grew up playing a Gibson LPC. It's what I'm used to the most ... even though I have more Strats than I do LP's now. ha ha.

I'm also very particular with the LP's. I can't connect with one unless it's how I remember as a 14 year old kid. That's why I can't do Epiphones. It doesn't feel right to me.

I have no history with Stratocasters, so I'm loving my Squiers. :)

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Luckily Fender make some with 1-11/16 nuts these days, matching the Gibson "normal". That's really about the narrowest I can handle without much accidental muting.

dbrian66 and strummer101 like this.
  11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Which is funny because 90% of the Epis I pick up, the necks seem too small to me! Neck preference is SO subjective...

12. kharrisma

kharrisma Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    NH, USA
    Hey Guitarmageddon... not sure what year it is. Can I do a search somewhere with the serial number to find out the year of manufacture... or is it incorporated into the serial number itself? Don't know how to read it if so.

dbrian66 and ScoobySnacker like this.
  13. kharrisma

kharrisma Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    NH, USA
    Hi Strummer101... I've been describing the Epi in pretty much the same terms to my wife, which is why I wanted to go back to a Strat. Put down the guitar for almost 30 years (sold all the gear off... talk about wishing for a do-over!), then picked back up again thinking this time I'd try "the other camp." Mistake; the neck indeed felt like a damned pole to me. Only a tenth of an inch wider, but it's thicker, too, and it just isn't nearly as comfortable to play as my old Strat was. Well... since it's a bolt-on neck, I guess replacing it with a wider neck is not an insurmountable problem. Wish I didn't have to spend the extra $$, but I'm filing it under "live and learn."

14. strummer101

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    I like to tread lightly in the Gibson vs. Fender debate. I do own one Gibson and one Epiphone. I will say that it takes me a week or so to get used to a neck and I hate Fender "Soft V necks".
    It is really what you like, but once you hate a neck it is hard to turn that around. Have you tried a Ibanez with a wizard neck? they have a great feel for a wide, thin neck.

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. strummer101

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
  16. It'll be "ICS" then two numbers which correspond to the year. eg: 07 = 2007 … 10 = 2010 etc.
    Cheers, Barrie.

17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Anything thinner than 1 5\8" at the nut and I'm just not down with it .

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Anything smaller than 42mm width at the nut feels like a toy guitar to me. It's the main reason I can't enjoy playing my 2014 Bullet Strat. It's 40.6 mm, I believe. 42 mm or more and a standard C or thicker for me. Don't like the skinny width, slim profile necks. Definitely need to check the stats when purchasing internet guitars.

dbrian66, Caddy and ScoobySnacker like this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    It's super easy - the first 2 numbers after the letters are the year....

20. Hoosefosses

Hoosefosses Squier Talker

Jan 18, 2020
    Sharon PA,USA
    Are you sure it's a real Squier and not someone trying to rip you off? I think if I really needed to make a quick buck,I'd fake a Squier before I'd try to fake a Fender or any other big name. No one will question the Squier,you can get any cheap Chinese strat and out a Squier waterslide decal on it,IF I was you I'd run the serial numbers and see what comes up

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice