Squire Standard Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by 12Rant, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 12Rant

12Rant Squier Talker

I bought a Squier Affinity Strat last Dec. But on looking up serial number on Google I came across this.

Indonesian Squiers
    IC: I = Indonesia, C = Cor-Tek (Cort), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year. IS: I = Indonesia, S = Samick, the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year. For example "IC02" Made in 2002. In 2009-10 some Indonesian Squier's had the prefix ICS09XXXXX and ICS10XXXXX. There are a number of standard models that have the ICS prefix some are FSR but some are just normal run models. It therefore appears as though the the S in ICS is only an indication as to whether it is a Factory Special Run or FSR guitar (manufactured by Cor-Tek in Indonesia). It also appears likely that any FSR guitar beginning with ICS will be a Squier 'Standard' as opposed to any of the other models i.e. CV, Deluxe etc.

The serial number on mine is ICS 10207421, so I know the year, but is there any other way to determine the difference between a Standard and an Affinity?

Thanks

2. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Squier-holic

Dec 17, 2009
    PDX
    If it's a stock guitar, the logo on the headstock would be one indication. Another indication could be the thickness of the body, with most Standard Strat bodies being 1.75" thick compared to most Affinity Strat bodies being 1.625" thick.

3. 12Rant

12Rant Squier Talker

Thanks,
    Measured the body and it's 1.625. Thought I might have got lucky. Checked the Fender website and I guess the Standard has the 70's headstock and 22 frets. Too bad they don't keep better tracking of Squier serial numbers.
    Cheers

4. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

Jan 15, 2011
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    I'm pretty sure the s in ics just means squier because I've seen some of the new special edition fender teles that used to be made in the Korean Cort factory that are now made in the indo Cort factory with serial numbers starting with icf

5. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    ICxx Affinity Strats are normally 1.5". It is Bullet w/trem bodies which are normally 1.625" or so, but as far as I know those don't usually come from the IC factory. Normal SNs for Bullets are COB or COS. There may be some weird exceptions though. Someone posted a pic of a headstock a while back that had BOTH "BULLET STRAT" on the headstock and the "Affinity Series" on the ball end.

6. choipan

choipan Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2017
    Indonesia
    Mine is CY 130908081 so it mean made in 2013 ?

7. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    If you post a picture, someone will tell you all about the guitar.

8. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Also, if you look at the information put out by FMIC, they list NC serial numbers as Bullets but they appear to be pre-Affinity Strats.

9. choipan

choipan Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2017
    Indonesia
  10. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    NC4 & NC6 would be 'Bullet Series', NC6 can be an unmarked Standard (like the unmarked Standards MIM from the same period. NC6 & NC7 can be Affinity. This is apparently the first appearance of the Affinity. The are no NC's or YN's after NC7 or YN7. The next year begins CY as in CY98 or CY99.

On the Affinity vs Standard IC's, a quick visual reference is 22 frets and after 2002, a two point tremolo.

NC4

94 NC Bullet Series headstock front.JPG NC6
    NC6 Bullet Series head.JPG
    NC7 NC7 blk white 97 affinity  head front.jpg

NC6 Standard

Attached Files:

squierbilly and mb doug like this.
  11. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
  12. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    And better yet the Korean offering with the NK prefix. In maple it is a one piece where as a believe the China "Bullet Series" is a slab board.
    [​IMG]

squierbilly and mb doug like this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    and nobody saw this was a dead thread resurrected for no reason by @choipan ?

14. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Heh, I did not see that! It was resurrected last year too! :)

So what...........

mb doug and Guitarmageddon like this.
  15. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    All Chinese/Taiwanese NC's are rosewood boards. YN's apparently can be either.

16. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I know there is a "Bullet Series" with a separate maple board, no stripe. Pretty sure it is China. Seen em, never bought one of course.

17. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Well I just spent too much time looking for a picture of one..... it was fun. Did not find anything, maybe I am having a false memory, maybe.

18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    I have seen YN's (Yako, Nineties) with maple boards. One of the ST'ers (@hunter rose IV) had one. I know it was a surprise, since all NC (Nineties, China also by Yako) are rosewood.

19. gspeas

gspeas Squier Talker

Oct 15, 2017
    Marshall, NC
    Hi; newbie first-time post, great to be here! Been looking with interest at this thread and other similar ones, as I've just bought a Squire CY98 with an unusual headstock logo. The only other guitars I've been able to find are on the same model and color guitar. Black on black full-sized body, maple neck and fretboard, 22 frets, 8-hole 3-ply pickguard and trapezoid tuners. Several were sold on Reverb, and several were discussed in this forum, but it doesn't seem like anyone knows for sure what model it is. I'm also confused about the year in the serial; Squier Wiki says:
    "CY (“Crafted in China”) - C = China, Y = Yako (Taiwan), the first number following the prefix is the year. 8-digit number. Example: CY2xxxxxxx = made by Yako in 2002-03." If that's true, then these guitars with CY98xxxxxx are actually from 1999. However, several other sites indicate that it's the 2 numbers after the prefix designates the year. Anyway, if anyone has come across one of these -- as I've said I've only seen this logo on black-bodied, maple-necked Squiers -- I would love to hear about it. Hopefully, I'll have mine in a week or so! Squire CY98_1.JPG

Attached Files:

squierbilly likes this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    What you have is kind of a 'leftover', but in a very good way. Yako began building Strats in '92/'93. The early ones are scarce, I've only seen a '92 and forget if it was a NC***** or YN*****. Anyway by '94 production was in full swing with '94, '96 & '97 being made with the serial numbers NC***** and '93, '95 & '97 with the serial numbers YN*****. These guitars came in 'Bullet Series('93,'94, '95[?], 96) Standard {Unmarked}(95, '96) and Affinity ('96 & '97). By '98 all were starting with serial number CY*****.

You are correct in a CY98*** being a '98. The earliest ones(CY) were labeled with two digit years. Sometime in the early 2000s they switched to the o2 digit years. I have seen both 1 & 2 digit years. Transitional times can be a mixture. I have not seen a CY with a unmarked headstock model. I suspect it was an Affinity with the Affinity Series sanded off, but.....it could well be a Standard {unmarked} like the YN5 & NC6 Standards. The NC, YN models all have 8 hole pickguards, 22 frets, full size solid wood bodies, and pretty nice ceramic pickups. Even though you have a 22-fret neck, I suspect it is 42mm at the nut, a change from the 43.2mm nut on NC & YNs. Yours would be a ' descendant' of the YN line with the maple fretboard. All NC's have rosewood fretboards. The full size bodies begin disappearing in '98 and are seen here and there until at least 2000 as they were gradually replaced with the thinner Affinity/Bullet bodies. All NC / YN have the serial numbers & COO engraved/stamped on the neckplate, not on the headstock. Beginning with CY98 the serial number moved to the back of the headstock.

Some people think the Yako made guitars are superior builds in quality & craftsmanship. As you probably guessed, I am definitely of this opinion. I tend to the NC line. Remember that although the above information is pretty accurate, the only thing truly consistent with Squier's (especially earlier ones) is inconsistency. The seems to be exceptions to every 'rule'. I have a number of NC's including a CY98 Affinity neck & later model CY in a bass. I have not seen exceptions to the above specs, but would not be surprised if their were.

Congratulations on a fine Strat.

squierbilly likes this.