Squire Jaguars

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by THRobinson, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    See my other post. I just bought a VM sunburst with gig bag for $199.99 from a Guitar Center store about 600 miles away. I do think the price could rise ... remember what happened to the Squier '51?

Caddy likes this.
  2. THRobinson

THRobinson Squier-Meister

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Nice Squier VM for sale, $300... about $100 more than hoped to spend... but sadly a 5h drive from here.

No rush though, have an ad alert setup in Kijiji, so, if anything more local pops up, hopefully I get an alert. :D

drewcp likes this.
  3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Well, you can't go wrong buying a VM Jag or Jazzmaster. The bridge takes some getting used to but it's fine. The only upgrade I recommend is the vibrato. The US unit is a huge upgrade over the one on the VM. I have the US vibrato on my JM, and skimped and got a MIJ vibrato for my Jag. It's marginally better than the one that came on the Squier - not worth the $30-something bucks I spent.

4. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    What’s up with the new CV jags? Only difference is nickel vs chrome appointments, block inlays, neck binding, pickguard, and pickups? Not much. ;)
    Worth the change? Thoughts?

5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Not worth it to me. Block inlays and bound necks look just wrong to me on Fender type guitars, pau ferro fretboard, etc. The old VM Jags and Jazzmasters were far more true to vintage. Not sure about the new pickups, but if they are hotter then that would be a big minus for me.

6. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Figured as much.
    So they are discontinuing the VM’s?

Was thinking about selling mine to move ‘up’ to the classic 60’s lacquer jag, but not sure if I should if they are discontinuing them.

VealCutlet and Caddy like this.
  7. robot

robot Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    UK
    The bridge saddles are also changing for the Classic Vibe versions of Jaguar, Jazzmaster and Mustang: they will be sized for 9.5" radius with a single string groove, and no height adjustment screws.

VealCutlet and horax like this.
  8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Not really liking the idea of no height adjustment screws. Once you move the saddles forward or back for intonation adjustment that changes string height a bit, not much, but some. I know it is that way on TOM bridges, but having that adjustment on Fender type guitars is a good thing, IMHO.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    optofonik and Afrika61 like this.
  9. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    This is one of the design keys of the Staytrem bridge that makes it so easy to intonate. The radius is set, so all adjustment is done on the bridge itself. The Staytrem has other enhancements, but this I see this as a plus (assuming the correct radius is built into the bridge itself.

10. ancientsurf

ancientsurf Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    Hawick, Scotland
    These CVs are due into UK stores on 12th April (apparently), and the string saddles have a single groove, as described. It wasn't possible to tell from the previous illustrations, and there was no mention of a different bridge.

Prices are all over the place here, and for a week or two it was cheaper to order a CV than it was to buy a VM from stock, by up to $50.

Stock VMs are now coming down to about $10 cheaper than the CV orders but you need to shop around.

It will be interesting to see how they perform in the first user reviews.

I've bought two Gretsches in the last two months, so it might be a while before I find out if I like the new CV offset bridges or not.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. robot

robot Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    UK
    Rich Tone have the sunburst Jag and some Mustangs in stock today.

12. ancientsurf

ancientsurf Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    Hawick, Scotland
    I recently purchased a guitar from the store you mention, which was advertised as being "in stock", when it was actually "in stock with supplier", and I had a wait of about 10 days. They are normally excellent to deal with, but check the price of the Jag they have "in stock". There is a 15% mark up on the cheapest prices I've seen.

I wonder if this will be the last production run of these that will be available in Europe? I believe some prospective buyers were put off by the VM bridges. If the new bridge proves to be an improvement then that might boost sales, although I do prefer to have the option to take that high E string down just a shade with the adjustable saddles.

I'll stick with my VM Jag and VMJM meantime. I was considering replacing the JM due to issues I was having with the neck, but it appears the guitar was having issues with my ham fisted attempts at messing around with the set up. After a lot of useful advice from members here it is now just about right.

13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Seriously, get an NOS (new old stock) VM (vintage modified) that is closer to vintage spec than the new ones. The only mod I made to mine was to replace the rather hot and definitely not vintage correct stock pups (pickups) with Fender PV (pure vintage) pups. Also, if IIRC (if I remember correctly), the stock pups were installed incorrectly at the factory which is/was common on these; bridge pup was installed in the neck and visa/versa. Use a multimeter to verify before doing the swap, though.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Caddy and surfrodguitar like this.
  14. GustangMcstang

GustangMcstang Squier Talker

Nov 9, 2018
    London UK
    I've just brought this home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VM Jaguar, got in on eBay for a steal.
    Okay I can't get a sound out of it, the electrics are going to need looking at by my local guitar tech but other than that it's lovely.
    Since getting it home, I've shimmed the neck, put a new set of strings on, set it up and fitted a nice Ivory Pearl scratchplate.
    A previous owner had fitted a Mustang bridge, all fine and well, but it was gold coloured!
    Fortunately the original bridge was in the bag it came with and I've swapped the bridgeplate for the original chrome one. Which means I've got gold saddles but I think that looks kind of cool, from a distance you'd be forgiven for thinking they were brass.

Very pleased to be scratching my Jaguar itch at last.

15. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Congrats!

The only thing you might want to do would be to shim both E sting saddles on that bridge. It looks like a 7.25" radius - I cut a medium Fender pick and slid the pieces under the high and low W saddles to bring the radius closer to the 9.5" neck. Worth a try unless out plays great as-is!

Good luck with the electronics. I'd check the output jack first. My VM Jag had issues with sketchy wiring from the factory at the jack.

GustangMcstang likes this.
  16. GustangMcstang

Nov 9, 2018
    London UK
    Thanks for the advice, may well try that in future. As it is, it's playing okay, but that issue may become more apparent once I'm able to hear it through an amp.

17. GustangMcstang

Nov 9, 2018
    London UK
    My new (to me) Jaguar is back from the repair shop. It was indeed as simple a matter as a faulty jack socket, which has been replaced. I admit, I could have done that job myself, but given the "complicated" nature of the circuitry on these guitars I thought I'd get it to a professional just in case the problem was further up the chain.

I've spent this morning setting it up, adjusting the pickup heights and tinkering with the bridge. It's intonating fine now, no rattles and I've got the trem' pretty much how I like it.

First impressions? Sound wise, there's a lot to play with. I do tend to find the one sound on a guitar and generally stick to that.
    I have found with my Mustangs that my favourite sound is the neck pickup alone, something about the scale, the string gauge and the single coils really sings in that setting. That seems to be the case with this Jaguar too.
    I'm unconvinced about the "rhythm" circuit, I appreciate that it gives a fuller tone but, to my ears, it loses quite a bit of attack. It's fun to have it though, in fact my main impression is that this guitar is going to be fun playing about with all the settings .
    I like it, haven't fallen in love with it quite the same way I did with my VM Mustang but I have no doubt it will grow on me.

[​IMG]

I will say this though, it's probably the most good-looking guitar I've ever owned.

Toddcaster64 and Caddy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice