Squire Jaguars

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by THRobinson, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I'm trying to remember but I do recall that two of them there was even a small section up near the neck pocket that had been cut out so that was a mismatch completely. As I said I just gave up.

optofonik likes this.
  2. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I have a Squier vm jag and love it. I have a Fender classic 60's mim jag and love it for the 7.25 neck radius but my vm jag is just as good a player. Not to mention a lot less expensive.

optofonik likes this.
  3. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I recently picked up a Squier VM Jag and someone had modded it with Duncan Performance Hot Rails. The first thing I did was buy a set of Vintage '65 pickups and restore it to original format. It is one of the sweetest guitars I have, including Fenders, Gretschs, Epiphones etc. The picture below was taken before I swapped out the pickups.

Jag.jpg

4. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I have modded almost ALL of my guitars to some degree, most pretty significantly -- but my VM Jag is perfectly bone-stock :)

optofonik, DaveDrums and Caddy like this.
  5. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    AF3E1144-B859-4105-B93D-4D8F39EFDC2E.jpeg The Squier VM Jag and Jazzmaster may very well be Squier’s finest moment. Both guitars are, in a word, phenomenal. Whereas Caddy had the original JM, for years I had a 1965 Jaguar. Purchased in 1981 for - are you ready - $375. And I overpaid - nobody wanted a Jag then. It was pretty mint, a true-life museum piece, really, but it played OK. I learned early on about how to properly set up the Jag, but the fact remained it was a quirky guitar that had to be re-adjusted somewhat often.

Years later, when the value shot through the roof (thank you, Kurt Cobain), I had an opportunity to get my bucket list guitar, a Ric 360/12, and I parted with the Jag. At that time the VMs had just come out and I figured I’d get one, and even though it wouldn’t be the same, well, oh well.

It definitely was not the same. It was BETTER. Give me CNC routing over old-world charm any day, because the VM was far tighter and better built than the 65. Set it up and forget it, everything stays as it should. The original Duncan designed pickups were no slouch, and in fact, they were really outstanding pickups as far as sounding like a Jag but also being more versatile. Ultimately, I ended up following Caddy’s lead on replacing the Duncans with actual Fender 65s and when I got my JM I did the same thing with the 62s, but only because I wanted that exact sound. I love them as they are amazing but I also recognize that the Duncan was arguably a better all-around pickup, that’s how good they were.

The 7.5 neck on the original was certainly more comfortable, but again, the VM’s 9.5 is really a better profile because frankly a 9.5 neck is imho the best radius there is as far as ultimate playability.

I thought when I sold the Jag for the Ric I’d regret it forever, but in reality I ended up with a Ric 12 AND a BETTER Jag and still had enough for the JM. And to think I bought both for $299 each. Talk about a lot of guitar for the money, I feel like I stole them. They are magnificent.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  6. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

That's the holy VM offset trinity, right there! That pic makes me want to pull the trigger on the NOS VM Mustang I've been eyeing.

Sigh...

...that "Vintage White", though, is the only color remaining (not much of a surprise, that) and it's just so... Gramma's fridge.

I'm curious why didn't go with the "Pure Vintage '65" pups for the JM as well.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm no Squier expert but I did a LOT of research on both the Jag and JM. I was initially considering just one or the other until I realized exactly what they were. Both the Jag and the JM were as close to period correct as could be had without spending the equivalent of a mortgage payment. I realized that they were something special in the Squier lineup.

Now that the CV versions have arrived with their so-called "upgrades" I think the original VM versions are even more special.

For as many as were manufactured I suspect that over the years these particular VM guitars, maybe the VM Mustang as well, will remain a high water mark for Squier. As the years go by and many get trashed and binned they may hold their value more than most Squiers.

johnnywizzo and Toddcaster64 like this.
  7. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Because I bought my Jazzmaster in the spring of 1965. That was before the 1965 models came out later that summer. That was when they changed them to having the bound fretboard, block inlays and the 1965 pickups. So, mine, being made prior to those changes, had the same pickups as the originals which had been the same since they first came out in the '50's. So, the '62's would be the same as what were in my old one. Never cared for those changes made in 1965, primarily the visual ones. But, the '65 pickups were brighter (as CBS did with most of their pickups) than the pickups that had been used up until then.

I would have used earlier pickups for the Jag as well, but couldn't locate any.

8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    @optofonik, BTW, the are red and blue ones available on Reverb.com. I just checked.

Toddcaster64 and optofonik like this.
  9. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I looked at some of those. Most were IL from what I could tell. A company called 8th Street Music sells through Amazon so I can get the whole "protection" thing as a buyer. I figured out why so few red and blue ones are available, though; KC used red and blue Stangs.

10. Squire Jaguars

Squier

Cheers, Barrie.

jjudas likes this.
  11. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    KC? As in KC & The Sunshine Band?

12. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

The very same... o_O

Caddy likes this.
  13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I saw the band play live at Disney World back in the late '70s. I don't remember anybody playing a Mustang.

Caddy likes this.
  14. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I saw KC & Sunshine Band in the late 70s. There is no way I would remember what guitar KÇ was playing though.

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    At the time I had previously owned a Fender Mustang and so I would have remembered him playing one. I think. He mainly sang and "danced" and did some keyboard work.

16. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Squier VM Jaguars are great, so are VM 025.JPG Jazzmasters!

17. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

18. THRobinson

THRobinson Squier-Meister

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Honestly not sure if I'm further ahead or not with this thread. :D

As per my original post, I know nothing about these guitars, spent more time figuring out the acronyms than reading the posts. :D

So I guess if buying the vintage or reissues it's all good, but anything else?

Like Strat wise... I believe the SE's are only China made, so if buying used and I see Korea and the tuners aren't stamped Squire, that's a quick way to know it's not an SE model.

I've never actually seen/touched one of these before. Guitar shops never have them in stock. But, they look interesting with all the switches and knobs, for just 2 single coils. Brain May has fewer switches and more pickups. Also rare to see used on Kijiji (Canada's Craig's List) and usually scattered and far away. Trying to get a basic idea of what to get and what to avoid so I can do some weeding out.

That said, like an SE... I'm looking for something cheap. Oddly, when searching Kijiji, they're all over a grand, not seeing Squire models right now. Either not popular? or people never sell them?

19. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    People rarely sell them.

Can't do much better than the Squier VM (regardless of price). However since they are being changed (not for the good, IMHO) getting one before they are gone would be a good idea.

optofonik and Toddcaster64 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice