Squire Jaguars

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by THRobinson, Feb 22, 2019.

1. THRobinson

THRobinson Squier-Meister

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    So, when I went to get a good Squire for upgrading I got some good advice that lead me to the SE models... just wondering if any advice when it comes to the Jags... which ones are more the the MIM/USA models in terms of body specs and part swapping.

I know ZERO info about Jags, apart from the fact that I don't have one nor ever had one, so... that needs to be changed. :D

Also... why are some Jaguars and some Jagmasters?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I don't understand the question....are you asking if Squier VM Jaguar guitars will accept Fender USA parts? The answer is no.....

The body on the VM's is full thickness but Squier uses different post spacing, and other parts.....

It also doesn't need a single upgrade, it's great as it is stock with no modification.

The Jaguar is a classic 60s design with 2 single coil pickups with metal claws for shielding....

The Jagmaster is a 90s modern design with a Strat style tremolo and 2 humbuckers, totally different guitar.

VealCutlet and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars are closest to vintage correct models in the Squier line. The Vintage Modified line has been discontinued this year and absorbed into and retweaked in the Classic Vibe line for 2019 and they will be releasing the new Jaguars in a month or two.

Jagmasters usually have humbuckers and a strat trem versus single coil pickups and the floating tremolo.

Lots of details on this forum, many more details about each model too out there... you’ll need to compare because a ‘Jaguar’ comes in many configurations these days.

Caddy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. THRobinson

THRobinson Squier-Meister

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Well basically asking if some models/versions are better than others.

Squire SE for example, direct swap for the MIM trem, and full 1.75" thick body, where other models are thinner and need to have holes drilled to accept another trem.

Not sure if the Jags are the same deal or not... all the exact same, or certain models are better than others.

So stock is great? no crappy tuners or poorly made bridge parts?

My Squire SE's are mostly good, but again, the trems aren't very good, especially the featherweight hollowed zinc block.

Not that I 'plan' to upgrade, just if I get one and realize some parts need swapped, it's nice to know what from a USA version will fit if anything.

5. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    You sure about that? I don’t have a Jag but the JM stuff is pretty interchangeable VM to VRI (with some slight modifications, e.g., roller knob bracket is longer on VRI).

6. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    VMs have great Kluson type tuners (wouldn’t change em) and the stock floating trem and bridge are fine (there are aftermarket versions that come with pros and cons). Try to get your hands on one to try out.

Caddy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I thought he meant things like USA Fender 2 pin tuners....won't fit without modification.....

And the post spacing for the bridge I thought was not the same? I know for sure the fretboard radius isn't.....like if you take an AVRI bridge meant for 7.25" radius and put it on a 9.5" radius neck guitar....you're going to have uneven string height.....

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I can't believe I'm going to be that guy...but it's Squier

DougMen, rorygman, Loin Lover and 3 others like this.
  9. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Yes, but you can adjust saddle height on these bridges. I think we agree though that there’s no huge reason to upgrade a Squier VM Jaguar. They are close to vintage correct full size body guitars with decent hardware, pretty good pickups for what you pay, and nice modern necks. If one wants American, MIM, CIJ, or VRI they should buy that. One can ‘upgrade’ some parts on the VM should one want/need to but there’s so much out there now that one should cross that bridge when one comes to it. Pun intended.

10. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Yeah... a f’ing great guitar :)

11. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

A pre-CITES ‘17 VM Jaguar (or Jazzmaster) is as close as you can get to original spec without spending thousands. The new CV ones are not as close anymore. Replace the stock DD pups on the VM with PV65s and Bob’s yer uncle.

12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I'd have to agree. I'm still looking for a used sunburst Jag with a rosewood neck. Guitar Center had three of them within about a week or so from $249.99 up to $269.99. But I had another pending acquisition and so I held off ...and now they're all gone.

optofonik and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
  14. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I am considering a NOS VM Mustang for that very reason.

Caddy likes this.
  15. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have a '17 sunburst VM Jaguar w/ rosewood neck. The only thing I changed was the pickguard to black. No upgrades needed.

optofonik, waynes world and Caddy like this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    VM Jags (and Jazzmasters) are just wonderful. Period.

They are not beginners guitars. Set up takes some care and understanding. That's not because they are Squiers, but because they are Jaguars and Jazzmasters. Sophisticated instruments.

(There's plenty of help available here though. So don't let that put you off)

Great! Great! Great!

:)

-don

17. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Exactly right.

I bought a new Fender Jazzmaster in the spring of 1965 right after HS graduation and my lead guitar player had a 1964 Jaguar which I played often. Sold the Jazzmaster in the 70's (another story). Regretted it ever since but couldn't justify the cost of another to just play at home as I quit playing in bands. That is until the Squier VM Jazzmasters and Jaguars came out, had to have one of each. They are so much like the old ones I played that I feel I am missing nothing. The only mods I have made to them is to put a set of Original Vintage '62 pickups in the Jazzmaster and a set of Fender Original Vintage '65's in the Jag. Not done because the stock pickups were bad, but just to get them closer to the vintage sound of the originals I played back then.

Amazingly nice guitars that really need no mods. If you want a Jag close to the 'way they were' a now discontinued VM Jag is worth finding. Likely to also have a rosewood fretboard instead of the now used Indian Laurel., or whatever it is.

The Squier VM trio.

Me with the original - college 1965

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I would have liked to have gotten that pickguard from you so I could have put it on my surf green VM Jag. I tried three pickguards, two I purchased and one I found locally, and none came remotely close to fitting. So I just gave up and then this year sold the green Jag ... but now I want a sunburst one because it looks something like the Fender ones that were so prevalent back when I was growing up in the '60s.

Caddy likes this.
  19. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    It took some work to get it to fit and it's not perfect still.

20. lnp00

lnp00 Squier Talker

Feb 20, 2019
    ON, Canada
    Here's a nice review for you to ponder... https://www.guitarfella.com/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-review/
    I picked up a used Jag a few months ago. the only mod that it has is a Staytrem bridge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice