Squier's Killin It @ Anderton's!

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by SquierTap, Jul 9, 2019.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Holy waffles! Have you guys seen this video yet?!?
    They pit a Bullet Hardtail, a heavily modded Bullet Hardtail (with Bare Knuckle pickups) and a Player Series FENDER Strat against each other...
    Now, I don't wanna spoil the ending, but I will say this;
    Videos like this are the reason that our beloved Squiers are gettin more and more expensive everyday... I honestly don't think there's been some big jump in terms of quality, but I think people are basically HAVING to admit that Squier makes some pretty danged good guitars... And that Squiers are "okay" and acceptable to play... Did you see in the video how they referred to the "Magic" Fender label?
    And while that's nice for the "I told you so" factor, I'd rather have cheaper Squiers than be "right"...
    I've been a hard core Squier fan since I got my '97 MIM Strat, to the point that I basically didn't buy other brands... But the MAIN fundamental reason that I was, was because Squiers WERE so inexpensive and the quality was there... Unfortunately, I can only see a couple ways that this can go now... And neither one is gonna be great...

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Do their "Clash of the Shitans" references turn people away from Squiers?

SquierTap, ManKonis, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  3. FhPudd

FhPudd Squier-Meister

Nov 28, 2012
    Pa.
    I’ve never been a big fan of those Anderson’s videos. For some reason the guys on there just annoy the h**l out of me.
    This particular video isn’t to bad though.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    SquierTap, dbrian66, so1om and 2 others like this.
  4. Young wanna be comedians maybe?
    Cheers, Barrie.

5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I enjoy their videos,, just guts having fun jamming on guitars that I can't afford. I notice this video the other day but skipped past it cos I thought it was just another of those comparison of guitars world's apart..anyway, I'm not sleepy so I'll fire it up on the PlayStation and have a watch..cheers for the heads up OP.

6. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Not a huge fan of these guys either, but I’ll watch this for sure.

Stop me from carrying on about my Blue Sparkle HH that’s kicking all my other guitar’s lower strap button

7. Amir Khalid

Amir Khalid Squier Talker

Jun 12, 2018
    Kuala Lumpur
    I don't approve of them calling cheap guitars "*****'uns". It's not true anymore and it's never been very funny.

FhPudd, SquierTap and Davis Sharp like this.
  8. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Interesting video, thanks for posting it.
    I just wish Lee Anderton or Pete Honore would have played/tested the guitars as well instead of just Rob Chapman. Although Chapman is a great player, I'm not into his style...

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  9. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I think they overspent on the upgraded pickups for the modded Bullet. They could have saved about half the money by putting in a set of Fender Direct Drive pickups. I wasn't impressed with the ones that Chappers picked out. I agree with the tuners. I've got a Bullet that came with the standard Trapezoid tuners and they were awful.

I do agree with Lee overall. You will never take an opening price point guitar and make it work like a higher quality guitar just by changing the guts. I never owned an MIM Strat until recently and although I love my Squiers there is a difference, at least in my opinion. However, I will never spend 2K on a pro American version. That just doesn't make sense to me.

10. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    It was a good watch but it didn't take long for the brand snobbery to raise its ugly head.
    Was a bit stunned by the choice and cost of pickups, a nice set of Wilkinson or vanson single coils would imho been a better choice at a fraction of the cost.
    Doing a set up, sorry doing a full set up including fret level and nut adjustment is possibly the most important thing that all guitars need and is something that we are all capable of doing ourselves.

FhPudd, SquierTap, Bluzy and 3 others like this.
  11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Aside from the expected "results", the most heinous thing I saw was the hack job that the "professional" did. The guy takes a hand drill and he wobbles the drill around in the holes of the headstock to accept the replacement tuners. I'd bet dollars to donuts those tuners are sloppy as all get out. Great way to ruin a perfectly good neck. I'd expect that from a young kid who sneaks into his parents tools to do this after school.

But really? In video after video where you come in with an air of being professionals and you're gonna pass on knowledge and expertise and "this is better than that...." various reviews and whatever, yeah. I'm done.

12. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I enjoy their videos and watch them frequently. I wish I had that much fun at my job.

Chapman is usually dead-on with identifying guitars in blindfold tests, but he almost always misidentifies the Classic Vibe Squiers as high-end Fenders.

SquierTap and 5ofeight like this.
  13. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I used to complain that while CV strat are great, they do need upgrades like that junky trem. But with my latest 60s CV i actually LIKE the sound of that trem ! In fact, I actually prefer the sound over my MIM 60s classic with a callaham trem and van zandt or fender fat 50s in it ! (tried it with both sets in comparison to the CV) Son i no longer feel the trem must be upgraded. Hell, my MIM 60s is a early one when they mexico factory was using USA AVRI bodies and necks on them ! So it's basically a fender AVRI strat with callaham trem and poly instead of nitro, and the CV is no less than it's equal in both tone (tho i prefer the CV) and better in playability due to the radius and frets. So in effect, my CV can hang with $2000 fenders. I paid $100 used. Talk about a LOL moment ! :D

VealCutlet and SquierTap like this.
  14. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    They only ever use gear that they sell in the shop. I think the set of pickups they used are one of the least expensive that they carry. They could have used less expensive tuners though, and chosen a "nicer" set of pickups.

SquierTap, Davis Sharp and so1om like this.
  15. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    they could have used a reamer to enlarge those tuner holes. ;)

16. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Then that wasn't a very good advertisement for the items they sell if that is indeed the case.

SquierTap likes this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I think you just did a video a while back talking about "cheap" ie, inexpensive guitars... I think basically the point was that a lot of the more inexpensive guitars nowadays are surprisingly good... And I'm pretty sure that Squier came out on top of the pile... I'll have to look into it, but honestly, I like alot of the Anderton's videos...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    drewcp likes this.
  18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I think Lee's a pretty awesome guitarist myself... And Pete and that purple Tele, lol... Rob's cool and all and it's rare to find a metal/shred guy who doesn't like tremelos... I don't like trems myself... But I think the best thing Rob's got goin for him is his ears... He's got some AMAZING ears when it comes to pickups and amps... It's hard to sneak one by him... I've watched videos where they compare tube amps to emulations, and different kinds of pickups, and he's usually right on... Of course, I have no idea how much of that stuff is 100% real, and how much is "good tv", lol...

drewcp likes this.
  19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I'm with ya on the pickups, brother... I'd have to be MIGHTY danged impressed with a set to pay more than 50-100 bucks a set... Back when I started out my main hero was Kurt Cobain and it's in my fundamental core to not just blow money... I'd be ashamed to be seen with a thousand dollar guitar, lol... And as far as American made Fenders go, I'll never have one... Out of principal... But I saw a review recently of the American Performer strat it kinda surprised me that you could get an American for that much...

20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Right on... You're EXACTLY right... I was watching it goin, "What? WHAT?!? YOU'RE HEMORRHAGING MONEY!!! HOW MUCH FOR PICKUPS?!?" I think they just had to spend enough money to either A: Make it seem like they did a LOT of modding, or B: Equal the amount of a "decent" Fender... Ya know, one that was "acceptable" to play... And I feel ya on the brand snobbery... I love how they referred to the "magic" Fender label... Lol...

FhPudd likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice