Squier telecaster pickup cavities

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by heave1, Nov 30, 2019.

1. heave1

heave1 Squier Talker

Jul 9, 2019
    Norman Oklahoma
    Is it possible to convert a Squier class ivibe telecaster with two humbucker into a regular tele with a vintage bridge and single coil neck pickup?
    I know I would have to get a new pickguard, but would the regular vintage bridge fit?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    They never made a Squier Classic Vibe with 2 humbuckers.....confused?

Need to see pics of it and how the conversion was done if so....or is it not a Classic Vibe maybe?

Can't tell you what can and can't be done without pics of the guitar in question....

3. heave1

heave1 Squier Talker

Jul 9, 2019
    Norman Oklahoma
    My main concern would be if the regular pickup set would fit into the overlarge humbucker cavities in the proper orientation.

4. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    No idea, you have to show us the guitar in question first.....if it has 2 humbucker routes it's not a Classic Vibe.....and I still don't know if you're asking about a stock guitar or a modified one.....

Can't tell you what can and can't be done without photos of the guitar in question....it's the bridge more than anything. A Tele neck pickup and new pickguard can fit a Tele neck humbucker route - but the bridge is crucial.

5. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    You mean one of the 70s Telecaster Customs or Thinlines?
    1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-d6013ea1aa350d6609caab3a3dedb13e.jpg
    1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-00618cb2554a84e26cf46e44a05168ac.jpg

Skip D and Rat cam 68 like this.
  6. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I'd just get one of the new contemporary Teles.

elfnub likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Not without a lot of cutting, filling, drilling, etc.

Don't wreck a perfectly good HH guitar trying to convert it. Just trade it for an equally good SS guitar.

8. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Oops yes maybe the OP means the new Classic Vibe line which includes the '72 Thinline.....my mistake....but if so, like others have said - huge job not worth doing.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  9. heave1

heave1 Squier Talker

Jul 9, 2019
    Norman Oklahoma
    My mistake. I meant the Squier Contemporary Tele. I figured it would be too difficult. Every time I post on here, the replies are seemingly condescending. Not everyone is a Squier genius like some of you guys. LOL.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Gotcha! No worries, it's just better to provide more detail and photos. Then someone could have said 'oh wait, you mean the Contemporary Tele!' after seeing the pic. A lot of us do better with visual things like photos rather than words. I have a hard time if I can't visualise it. I don't think anybody here meant to be condescending, the original post was just kind of vague that's all.

It could be done but it's more work than it's worth. The string through holes also probably wouldn't line up right, and you'd probably have part of the humbucker cavity showing on the sides of the vintage Tele bridge/pickup plate....

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  11. heave1

heave1 Squier Talker

Jul 9, 2019
    Norman Oklahoma
    I will reply again like I did before. It's a hobby. I like modding and altering. I don't care about if it's more trouble than it's worth. I enjoy problem solving with guitars. I thought I might find some answers to my questions based on that.
    And, no, I am not confused.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Anything can be done in that case, if you have the skill and tools and equipment in a shop or your garage......

It's possible for sure....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice