Squier Strat SE Pickup Recommendations for Blues/Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Kaffeine_oo7, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    I agree with this; I'm not changing anything right away. I want to play it as it is - especially with the Seymour Duncan in the bridge. I want to change them to have the experience of wiring them myself but if I like them compared to what others have suggested for my uses I may just unsolder the current setup and then put it back together again. This way I learn to wire and if I destroy something in the process I'm not out much. Ultimately I am just looking for other people's opinions and experiences to help make that decision. I won't know if there is a better sounding pickup to my ear until I hear these and compare them to other suggestions. I usually keep things as is but this project is specifically to learn modding and wiring. Thank you for the input!

Big tuna, 5ofeight and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Thank you all for the recommendations. I decided to go with a loaded pickguard with a set of Texas Specials installed. I found one with the mini toggle switch that will allow the neck pickup to be on at any time. It just so happens the loaded pickguard is blacked out and will complement the build well. As far as learning to do wiring, I’ll just tear the original apart and solder it all back up. I won’t ruin anything too important/expensive that way if things go sideways. Thanks again for the help everyone.

drewcp, dbrian66 and Big tuna like this.
  3. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    The guy first off bought the guitar to mod. It's suggested that he keep the original loaded pickguard and build a new one from scratch as a learning project. It seems he has decided to get another custom loaded pickguard and will probably switch back and forth with the stock one.

dbrian66, Kaffeine_oo7 and Big tuna like this.
  4. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Yes. I’m planning to use the original to learn to do wiring. Originally I wanted to build my new PG from scratch but I fell in love with Texas Specials and just decided to pick up a loaded PG ( got one on reverb for 15 dollars over the cost of a set of just the pickups because of the big sales Reverb has going on right now - I couldn’t build a PG for the price unless I looked for used pickups). I’ll just unsolder the stock one and then solder it back up. I’ve soldered electronics for about a decade, just never learned to do wiring on a guitar. The guitar is finished except for this but the PG shipped today. I’ve documented the build with pictures and will start a new thread once I slap in the new PG.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    dbrian66 likes this.
  5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I've used several pickups from Rose Pickups..All of them were very good sounding..And the price and service would be hard to beat..(Ken's a member here)..On a Strat, for me, I found the Belles to be the best sounding of all the ones I've ever had..Nice and clear with great separation..
    You can contact Ken here by PM..Tell him what you want a pickup to sound like and he'll offer his suggestion..

6. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Thank you for this. If I’m ever in the market for pickups again I will do just that (I just purchased a set of Texas Specials for the Strat). I’ve been thinking about changing the pickups in my 2018 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro to have something closer to the Gibson 498T in the bridge and the 490R in the neck (I have a set of the 490R & 490T in my Gibson LP and love them but would like a little more output from the bridge over the 490T for the Epiphone).The Epi has a set of Probuckers but I’m not really a huge fan. Maybe I’ll contact Ken to see what can be done after I get comfortable with wiring a guitar - I really don’t want to learn on something like a LP, I have too much of a soft spot for them to be fiddling with their bits without knowing exactly what I am doing. Anyhow, thank you for the information Papa Joe. By the way, If I ever see Willie Nelson I’ll tell him he sounds like you. :D

7. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    It's this easy, contact mike at ( rocknrguitars ) tell him what you want, he will design it and build it for you if you like. Did mine and others and ALL of us have never been happier!

20190311_080727.jpg

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  8. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    It’s already taken care of but thanks! Texas Specials are going in.

GEECEE and TEXINGA like this.
  9. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Another great place is Zzounds, best of all they have 3, or 6 months payments. Just purchased over 300.00 worth of Seymour Duncan pickups, paying $50.00 per month, No interest, no hassle and no credit check. Unbelievable!. Frees up money so I can purchase more Squiers from Reverb! LOL

Kaffeine_oo7 and stinkyboy like this.
  10. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Nice pickups, like the sound, and the price is great you can get all three new for under 200.00!

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  11. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    I can see myself walking out of that store with entirely too much stuff! :D

TEXINGA likes this.
  12. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

Been there done that! LOL

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  13. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    The cost of the loaded PG (3 ply) with the Texas Specials, CTS pots, orange drop cap, and mini toggle switch for the neck, all wired up with vintage style wiring was only $216 and free shipping. Reverb is offering a 15% discount right now. The loaded PG was originally listed for $255 or so. I couldn’t pass it up. I can’t build it myself for that.

TEXINGA likes this.
  14. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

OMG!!!!!! What a deal, that is going to be sooo sweet!

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  15. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    This is the original listing and does not reflect the discounted price. Like I said, I ended up getting it for $216 shipped.
    5175076B-AA45-4606-9B2D-F9825C5E0A7D.jpeg 7B518767-8C70-43BB-8DEE-67852E1FD48F.jpeg

16. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    and I love the color!!!!!

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  17. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    You did great and I hope you like them as much as I like mine! My loaded PG had whatever the standard Fender pots and such are, including the "greasepot" wiring - and I left it as-is. My PG was off an American Special HSS with the Atomic HB. IMO, that's a great combo and the Tex Specials are great-sounding pickups.

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  18. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Thanks! Yeah, I know I will love them. I played my buddy's Strat with the same pickups and same Gilmour 7 way mod. I knew I had found my Strat tone at that point. Didn't look at another set after that. Was completely sold on them. LOL

19. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    920D makes some really good loaded pickguards and control panels. I got a loaded PG with CS Fat '50s (B&M) and SC'69 (N) once again, for about $15 more than the pups alone! They regularly have different PGs and/or control panels on sale, for a little more than the cost of the parts used! The quality of their work is impeccable.

I was never satisfied with the tones I was getting from my MIM Strat. It felt and played great, but the tones were a let down, to me. I went through three sets of pups till I tried this one and now it's one of my top guitars.

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I've been lookin at these online and they do sound GREAT... "Smokey" is a great word to describe 'em...

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice