Squier Strat SE Pickup Recommendations for Blues/Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Kaffeine_oo7, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Hello everyone! This is my first post outside of the new member area. I just picked up a Squier Strat SE (should be here by Friday). It is the one I am currently using as my avatar pic. Anyhow, I am looking for recommendations for a set of pickups - I am undecided at the moment. Which picukups would you recommend for classic rock/blues and why? I don't have any specific brands in mind - I'm open to pretty much everything as long as I can get them in black (or at least a black cover for them). New, used, doesn't matter to me as long as they work. :) Thanks in advance fellas.

EDIT: This guitar is a purposely bought modding platform. I plan to completely gut it and rewire it myself. I am not anywhere new to guitars and music, but I don't know everything. I haven't had a strat in many years that I wanted to yank the electronics out of. I'm curious what others have used and why. I don't mind that there will be many opinions. In fact, that's exactly what I want, precisely because I don't know everything. Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    GFS Premium Overwound
    Golden Age Overwound

I love these guys. Great, great pickups.

SquierTap, TEXINGA, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  3. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Thank you. I am looking at them now.

4. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

You'll potentially get a ton of opinions, all valid. I tend to prefer pickups with "classic/vintage" profiles. Extra "omph" can be supplied in a number of ways but hot pickups don't always "clean up" well. Hard to go wrong with a Robusta/Robusta/Buff Beauty set from Rose Pickups. Not the cheapest on the street but far from most expensive...

5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    The knobs on your amp turn, and are cheaper than new pickups.

Loin Lover, drewcp, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Not as fun. New pups = new guitar. :)

JohnnyMac, TEXINGA, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    This would be a killer.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=233139028708

8. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    While I agree with this 100%, neither of these things will be a consideration when grabbing new pups. This guitar is getting gutted completely - purchased specifically for modding and learning to do wiring. Thank you though.

9. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  10. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    GFS Premium II. Alnico II . Got a set on my Affinity, really like them a lot. Nice smoky tone, good punch, very well balanced sound. GFS sells black covers, too.

dbrian66, Kaffeine_oo7 and Eddie like this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Are you using a kit or are you buying the components separately for the harness?

I want to learn also.

12. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

13. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I would watch a lot of YTube vids - maybe start off with a inexpensive set of A5's from eBay - everybody hears sound slightly different !

Ask questions - be a PITA - I was, am ! I guess that's how I learn ! Take pics along the way - the combined experience on here can save you time

and cash ! And have fun along the way !

dbrian66, ElRey67 and Kaffeine_oo7 like this.
  14. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    I plan to buy all the components and then wire them myself, though I do see the allure of a harness. But for this build, I think I am going to do it all myself from scratch with CTS 250k pots (audio taper for volume, linear for tone), Orange Drop caps and vintage shielded wiring. My Gibson LP was converted from PCB board to the same setup (though with 500k pots) and I absolutely love the difference.

15. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Guitarmadness pickups for me.... tons of configurations and price points, but the most expensive are still very affordable. Oh, and they’re on EBay. I just put the premium Alnico 2 HBs in my strat and they’re great.

16. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    That's the plan. I am going to take people's suggestions and then YT them and see what I hear. That's precisely why I asked here and expected many opinions. It's exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

17. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

:D

dbrian66 and Kaffeine_oo7 like this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I'd get a second pickguard to build up with your custom circuit and swap out loaded pickguards. That way when you're done modding, you can keep all the mods you did (like those $200 pickups) and sell the guitar with the original setup with no pain. The second pickguard scheme also allows you to find a Hendrix 'reverse' pickup slot pickguard.

Spend more time on the pots and caps and lesson the need to swap pickups. Measure pots kohms and trial caps. Pots have a 20% range and alter the tones...

I've tried a lot of mods and this is the one I've settled on and put in the current three Strats I have around to play... Second tone pot blends between classic SSS and HSH. Dan Armstrong Blender Mod http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/armstrong/versatilestrat/armstrongstratvers800AB.jpg
    Walk through Breja Toneworks DABM

MadJack, dbrian66, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  19. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    I'll check them out! Thanks!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  20. Kaffeine_oo7

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Now this is VERY interesting. Awesome suggestion on the second PG - makes perfect sense. Would you recommend getting a handful of pots and caps and measuring, using only those pots close in kohms to 250? Also, that blender mod intrigues me. I'm going to have to do more research. Thank you. These are awesome suggestions.

EDIT: edited to differentiate on only using pots close to 250k, not pots AND caps at 250k. Obviously that would be a bit silly. :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice