Squier Strat 50th Anniversary 1996

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Dancinboy, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Dancinboy

Dancinboy New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    England
    Can anyone tell me anything about this guitar RE model/quality.

I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Here's a lil video of what seems to be the same thing.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSKwoHlBVtg"]Fender Squier Strat Review - YouTube[/ame]

3. sfcmark

sfcmark Squier-Nut

Apr 20, 2011
    Georgia
    According to the Squier serial number information on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#Serial_number_tracing), the YN6 serial indicates your guitar was manufactured by Yako in Taiwan in 1996.

The Squiers of the time didn't follow the same models as now, so we'll have to wait for someone who's experienced a similar one to chime in on the features/overall quality.

You didn't show a picture of the back of the headstock, so I can't tell whether it has the trapezoid tuners. Those seem to be the weakest feature of many Squiers, but they're easy enough to swap out for better units.

4. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Correct... the distinctly tiered Squier lines (Bullet, Affinity, SE, Standard, Deluxe, Vintage Modified & Classic Vibe) didn't really start until 1997 when the Affinity name started being used. The "Bullet" name had been used on some lower end models prior to that but not consistantly. The other tiers came in gradually with Standard Series starting in 1999, the SE and Bullet lines showing up around 2000, and the Deluxe, VM and CV lines showing up in the early to middle parts of the 2000s.

They have good and bad points. They are the predecessor to the current Affinity series although unlike the current models they had a full 1-3/4" thick body and a full 42mm width neck at the nut. The pickups (usually low grade ceramic single coils) and electronics (dime size 500k pots and a 0.022uf cap) are usually fairly crappy and the trem units are typical Squier grade, import (2-1/16") width with thin pot metal block and die cast zinc saddles. Upgrading with full size 250k pots, a 0.047uf cap usually makes a big improvement in tone even with the stock pickups. Putting in a decent set of Alnico pickups will usually help even more and an upgrade trem with full size steel block and steel saddles will usually further enhance tone and especially sustain.

By the bushings, I am almost certain they are the dreaded "trapezoid" type -- unsealed with stamped sheet metal covers. As you say, they are probably the poorest quality bit of hardware Squier has ever used. Lucky as you say they are fairly easy and inexpensive to replace. The "vintage Kluson" type are usually an easy swap, but a good 10mm sealed die cast type is an excellent choice as well even though they require reaming out the shaft holes from 8mm to 10mm.

5. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Softwarejanitor pretty much covers it. What wasn't mentioned however is something often overlooked. Make sure to check the nut and string trees as they are undoubtedly junk and should be replaced. If your bothering to get a new tremolo with concerns about things like sustain, tone and tuning issues, then these mods (Especially the nut) are pretty much needed to complete the process. IMHO. Good luck!

6. hardin holly

hardin holly Squier Talker

Sep 22, 2015
    GOT ONE OF THESE YESTERDAY 1996 MADE IN CHINA 50TH ANEVERSERY BETTER THAN THE SQUIER STANDARD I JUST SOLD INFACT WAY BETTER PUT IN MEXICAN STRAT TREM WITH THE BIG BLOCK NOW IT JUST NEEDS NEW TUNERS AND A NEW PICKGUARD LOVE THE SOUND OF THE STOCK PICKUPS

Tassosx likes this.
  7. Smiddy

Smiddy Squier Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    This is one of the best value for money squiers I have ever bought. I don't think it had an official name as such but is a forerunner of the SE and standard series I believe and is about the same for quality. The pickups are awesome in them, I recently built myself a project using a 2004 SE as my starting point. I dropped a Fender vintage trem into it and alnico V single coils and I can not hear ANY difference between the two guitars when I play them. The only thing I found was a bit of extra hum on the 1996 non upgraded guitar but it could just be a bad earth on that guitar and not a flaw in the design . Bad point of the 1996 guitar is the pots as they are either loads of base or loads of treble (they might as well have just put in a switch) but that is a really easy fix for about £20. Yes get one if you can.

8. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Hi Smiddy, welcome to the forum! This thread is 2 1/2 years old but they do come back alive with new posts as do with all forums. Enjoy it here, lots of great folks.

Smiddy likes this.
  9. Smiddy

Smiddy Squier Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Thanks man, I got excited by it all lol.

10. papa920

papa920 Squier-Nut

Oct 9, 2011
    Illinois, USA
    I can tell you it looks like a nice Strat .

11. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Do a search for NC Strat. I think it's the same thing. I had an NC that was a 1996 50th Anny Strat. They get listed as Bullets per the sn#. However, they seemed to be a precursor to an Affinity Strat except that they had a full sized body. Again, it was a total sleeper guitar as you can pick them up for about $100.

jefffam likes this.
  12. WhiteYeti

WhiteYeti Squier Talker

Jun 27, 2016
    Mexico
    Hi, Im new in this page. I bought this guitar, it's a Squier Strat (Made in China below) by Fender. I dont see many of them online. Most people say it's a SE model, the one with comes in pack with a small combo. My question, it's a good guitar? I paid for it like 115 Usd (im from México, and bought it here). I leave pics. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      149.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      191.3 KB
      Views:
  13. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    The body and neck are very high quality on those units. The hardware is budget but functional for the most part. The Electronics are often a source of problems either malfunctions or substandard tone. The pickups are pretty highly rated as far as ceramic magnet pickups go.

In general, it's a very playable guitar. If it works for you, play it! If you have a specific problem, then we can usually help you figure out how to correct it.

The only mod I would consider immediately is a new nut. The plastic factory nut tends to degrade over 20 years and can cause problems with tuning, and fret buzz if it is worn too badly.

WhiteYeti likes this.
  14. WhiteYeti

WhiteYeti Squier Talker

Jun 27, 2016
    Mexico
    Thanks jskeen. Once arrived it, I will tell you how it is. Im planning to keep my Squier VM and sell my aliexpress Strat with ash body.

15. yahfz

yahfz Squier Talker

Sep 28, 2016
    Brazil
    Hi guys,

Just saw this Squier for sale. the owner says its a 1996 squier 50th anniversary made in taiwan
    alder body
    maple neck
    rosewood fingerboard
    http://imgur.com/a/S1lvm

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. tbb007

tbb007 Squier-Meister

Aug 8, 2016
    San Francisco
    I'm very happy with mine, but the previous owner modded it, including some new pups, so I can't say you'd necessarily have the same experience. And I paid $50 at the thrift shop.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I'd say most all the basic information has been covered. I, too like the stock pickups. I only changed one st because of 3rd p/u was dead and the crappy Asian box switch was likewise dead. Rose Teas Centennials fit the bill nicely.

The only real amendment is that all of my 'NC''s ( a close sibling of the 'CY', made by Yako a the same time) an 'NC4, 'NC6' & 'NC7 ' are a full 43.2mm measured with a caliper at and on the nut. I don't know the official radius of the necks but IO would say it is very comfortable wide & flat, compared to modern models. As you can tell, I really like the 'NC's and will probably buy more. A real sleeper that is sadly starting to catch on and rise in price. Your unlabeled '96 would more or less be equal to a Standard, since the Affinity came out in '97 and the Bullet Series was present in '94.

HNGD! Enjoy a great find in a guitar.

Tassosx likes this.
  18. Tassosx

Tassosx New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Greece
    I just grab one Squier 50th Anniversary Strat and i wanted to upgrade the trem block. Do i have to buy a special one for this guitar or all wider blocks can fit in there? I am newbie in Strat type guitars.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Eddie likes this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Welcome to the forum - start your own thread! This one is 2 1/2 years old and is dead.....

There's no such thing as a Squier 50th Anniversary Strat....do you mean a 2002 from Squier's 20th Anniversary? We need to see pics to determine the model....every Squier made in 2002 had that 20th anniversary neck plate....there was no special anniversary model.

Eddie likes this.
  20. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Didn't almost, if not all, of the guitars from 1996 have the Fender 50th anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock?

Like this: https://reverb.com/item/476278-fend...rat-22-frets-full-width-body-tuxedo-pickguard

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Eddie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice