Squier Standard Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by marceljj, Feb 10, 2013.

1. marceljj

marceljj Squier Talker

To say it simply, is it a good guitar? Should I change the pickups, if so, what brand of pickups? Any other improvements?

Thanks,

Marcel

2. StratTuner

StratTuner Squier-Nut

As I recall, the "standard" version is a little better set up than the plain bullet.
    two point trem
    42mm nut
    I found the specs page at fender for a "Squier Standard"....

It doesn't say that the pickup are Alnico 5 magnets. That would be the only change I'd make: If it has ceramic magnets, I like to replace with Alnico 5. A set of 3 single coil Alnico 5s can usually be had for about $30.

To answer the question: Yes, it's a very good guitar.

3. marceljj

marceljj Squier Talker

I think it has alnico pickups, but I can hear some slight buzz if I play the bass strings. It happened on my humbucker guitar too, but since it was a humbucker, the buzz didn't really become audible through the amp. Since the Standard Strat has single-coils, it picks up a little more buzz, and for me, fret buzz in particular. I had it set up. The only place where the buzz is really an issue for me is on the Low E string, on the 7th fret and up. Do you know any pickup(s) for under $100 that reduce buzzing in the amp but keep the tone?

Thanks,

Marcel

4. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Buzz at certain frets is usually low strings/ action/truss rod. Hum is pickup/ wiring/ ground issues. Try and separate which is what. The we can start fixing.
    I have 2 standards. The cherryburst is my fav but most all play great.

5. marceljj

marceljj Squier Talker

I think it's fret buzz.

6. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

If you have fret buzz, you need a thorough setup, not new pickups

7. D34dBaWx

D34dBaWx Squier-holic

Single coil pickups can cause buzzy notes. If you have them cranked up way to high they can cause intonation issues and fret buzz. It's that magnetic field.

8. byronius

byronius Squier-holic

i sw one of these friday at a local pawn shop, was gonna grab it but the closer i looked i saw the tremolo bridge area wood had been broken on both sides of the trem. tried to point it out and she was like so.. lol oh well. looked like a very nice guitar otherwise to me neck felt good. good luck with yours

9. marceljj

marceljj Squier Talker

I raised the E string (Which was basically the one that buzzed the most.) and tuned it. The string still seems to be fairly intonated. =)

10. jeffo46

jeffo46 Squier-Meister

I own 2 of them and I made it a point to swap out the stock 500K Pots with all new Fender 250Ks, which IMO, give it more of a Vintage sound and to also change the stock bridge saddles to Graph-Tech Imports. Those keep it in tune much better and also add more sustain as well.