Squier Standard Series Basses (P/PJ Specifically)

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by yellowsnow4free, Sep 16, 2019.

Which neck profile do you prefer?

1. P neck profile

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. J neck profile

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free Squier Talker

Aug 27, 2019
    California
    Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 Affinity P-Bass that I'm thinking of upgrading from. I'm not in a rush, so I'm hoping to find a Standard model, since I think an artist / CV / VM will be out of my price range (unless I find a deal).

Here's the research I've compiled so far:

Squier Standard Precision Bass (says "Precision Bass" on the headstock) and Squier Standard P-Bass Special (says "P-Bass Special" on the headstock): PJ pickup configuration, J neck profile. (source)

I assume there's also a Squier Standard Precision Bass with only the P pickup and a P neck profile, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

If I want a Squier/Fender PJ with a P neck profile, what are my options? (aside from the Affinity line).

Thanks!

- Anthony

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    five teles likes this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    My favorite bass neck ever, as far as I know, is a normal P-Bass neck shape from my Fender Blacktop Precision

Trying to recall from memory, the Squier PBass Standard does have a P Neck, not a J.

yellowsnow4free likes this.
  3. yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free Squier Talker

Aug 27, 2019
    California
    Thanks for the reply drewcp!

I went to Guitar Center over the weekend and tried to determine which neck I preferred.

It's hard to say since I'm basically at level zero in terms of bass skill, but I think I like the P profile better; it reminds me more of the neck on my Strat than the J neck does.

My hands aren't particularly big (normal, not small) but I've been told my fingers are kinda long, so maybe it feels OK? I do like the extra width of the P neck compared to the J.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a PJ Squier in the Standard line with a P neck? Idk if the CV or VM has one that would fit that bill.

drewcp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice