Squier Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by squierjosh, Apr 9, 2010.

1. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

I don't always trust Wikipedia, but here is what they have for Squier serial numbers for Korean made Squiers:

Korean Squiers

CN/VN: C = Cor-Tek (Cort), V = Saehan(Sunghan), S was already taken by Samick so Saehan(Sunghan) used V instead (Saehan(Sunghan) made the Vester guitars), N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

* "CN5" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1995.
    * "VN5" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#Korean_Squiers

Does this seem accurate? If so, it dates my Squier Strat at 1995, made by Sunghan. I get the feeling these aren't as good as the Cort-made Strats?

2. S. Rock

S. Rock Squier-holic

Josh, if it plays good and sounds good, then it's a good guitar. my MIM Squier was made in '93. so, the above numbering system may be correct. I look at every guitar individually. so, when I try a "new" guitar and it feels good to play and sounds good to me, then I like it. every guitar is different. no matter what the price is. one of the best guitars that I ever bought was a $30.00 Framus acoustic.

3. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

It was definitely the playability that drew me to this Strat in a pawn shop a couple years ago ($80 with gig bag). It's not so good lately though. I think it needs a good setup by someone other than me. :p I'm starting to get buzzing up and down the neck when I play.

4. S. Rock

S. Rock Squier-holic

have you ever been to My Music Store in Golden Valley ? they have one of the best luthiers around working on guitars. he just put a nut on my '73 Les Paul. his name is Ted. he does very good work.

5. S. Rock

S. Rock Squier-holic

there's a Squier on CL right now in Eden Prairie for $40.00.

6. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Tempting...and I work in Eden Prairie. :)