Squier SE Special Strat and a Fender G-Dec Junior Amp...

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Pierre008, Jul 10, 2018.

1. That is the most recent SE I've seen ... a 2012. I did a mod on an '08 and turned it into this.

SE.jpg

I don't see you having any issues with your purchase. It's too new and well looked after for that.
    Congratulations on your new gear. :) Cheers, Barrie.

Pierre008, squierbilly and fadetoz like this.
  2. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Update 2: Hooked up everything and attempted some Big Love (a la Lindsey Buckingham) riffs.

Negatory. Nothing. Nyet.

The amp's special effects worked...the drums and other silly options. But no sounds emanating from the guitar.

Yes, the guitar's volume pot was at 10. No, I didn't plug the cable into the headphone jack. Yes, the amp was plugged in. No, I am not an idiot.

I have this funny feeling the cable is no good. I have cables at home. Going to dash home for lunch and return with another cable.

Fingers crossed.

squierbilly and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  3. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Could be the cord, also might be the jack. I have had a few where the jack wiring was wonky. Bad workmanship and kids moving too far and yanking it are the norm. Sometimes they loosen and they try and tighten it up and spin it.

squierbilly and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  4. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Yeah im sure it's the cable or jack on the guitar.

5. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Final update:

Yup. It was the cord. The thing sounds like a champ. Replaced three dingy strings, wiped it down, buffed it out, and looks brand new. So does the amp.

The only issue is that some of the Amp Select options don't work. Besides that, probably the best $60.00 I've spent in a long time.

Here it is classying up my office...

Thank you to EVERYONE for your advice and help. IMG_5463.JPG

6. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    That's why you got so cheap,, the kid thought it didn't work.. But he got what he deserved for lying to you..
    (A small portion of what Is really a 150. Dollar set up
    Assuming the cord was good)..

7. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    How did you know it was a kid who sold it to me? He was in his late teens, early twenties. Good eye, mate. And I'm not Australian.

8. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Somebody mentioned kid and it made sense,, somebody immature.. Withholding facts..
    Most adults would be honest why there selling..
    He's just lucky you didn't hook it up in the parking lot (most buildings have power if their not vacant)..
    He'd have been lucky to get 40.00 then..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Pierre008 likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I bought an SE tonight on auction at SGW and I blame you guys! :) CXS this time yet does have a skunk..........
    Not the killer deal that pierre008 got but one of the cheaper Strats I have bought lately. Shipping was only 12 bucks. Really just after the body but we will see.
    https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/54821982#shipping-tab

10. Post a thread when it lands in your lap @Davey ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

Davey and willhowl like this.
  11. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    To Pierre008......Maybe it's just a myth,Cali is 'Spensive,Lucy!!!!! but.....$60 for that package, in SoCal.......???...Heckuva Deal!!!!.....

And Davey....Yer in the Sweet Spot for SGW....so much good stuff in PNW....Shipping kills so many deals for me, here in Texas...

Well Done, both of youse guys....Enjoy......willhowl;)

Oops, Davey, yours came from SoCal (LA), too........Another good deal....YEA!!!!!!

Pierre008, Davey and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  12. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Awesome score! Seller might not have known cord was bad. It could have just happened in transit etc. who knows!

Pierre008 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  13. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Davey, all I ever do is go on SGW. This one time, I happened upon Craig's List for a great deal.

SGW rocks...but their shipping and handling fees are often times thrice the price of the actual item.

Davey likes this.
  14. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Will. Your kind words mean a lot.

It also helped that the kid was moving in less than a week. Movers tend to be motivated sellers.

squierbilly likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I am out of my allotted site picture space so I have not been doing new gear day posts for awhile now. :(

I hate to say it but I dig the guitar buying head rush! I have been in remission but I went and looked.......... pick you drug addict analogy and place here___________.

willhowl likes this.
  16. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sconnie, I just now realized you were quoting the box the guitar came in. Love it!

17. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I wanted to swap out the red pick-guard and back flap for a black one, what kind would I need? Would they be generic? Or are the dimensions different then a regular strat guard?

18. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Any regular 11 hole pickguard and regular back plate should work, you may have to fill and re-drill a few holes....they don't always line up....

Pierre008 likes this.
  19. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    That black would look super sweet. I have bought them for Ali and off eBay and all of them fit perfectly. Pay attention to the relation of the forward switch mounting screw and the closest on the guard edge next to it.

On some other Squier guitars they have not matched up so well but the SE's always fit perfect, so did the VM's and the MIM standards. Those that don't? just pop in another screw hole, no big deal on an inexpensive guitar. I don't bother to fill them either, who knows might want to put another guard on it.

If your guard does not match perfectly and you feel you must fill the holes make sure you use only authentic full tone filler putty.

Las Palmas Norte and Pierre008 like this.
  20. Pierre008

Pierre008 Squier Talker

May 8, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Would you happen to have a link to the one you bought or a link to the one I should buy?

Like this one? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=361379502115

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018