Squier SE Rescue

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by jjudas, Feb 10, 2019.

1. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've been looking for a sunburst or tobacco burst Stratocaster for cheap. I found one for $30 locally, so I grabbed it. The red tort pickguard was screwed down with sheet metal screws. The neck screws were mismatched smaller sized wood screws. The neck screw holes had tooth picks in them. I had some larger diameter neck screws that i got with a custom neck plate that worked perfect. The neck heel on the body had been routed for a Tele neck. The jack plate screws were an inch and a half long. I filled all the pickguard screw holes with tooth picks and glue. The strap pins had to be filled and reinstalled. The truss rod adjustment was all the way loose. It took several turns to tighten it. The logo was partially sanded off so I removed it and installed a custom logo. I cleaned, oiled and reinstalled the neck with new MIA style string trees and new Allparts locking tuners. Then I installed an aged white loaded prewired pickguard from Dragonfireguitars that I had along with a new jack. The original tremolo assembly was unusable. The trem arm was cross threaded in the trem. The bridge saddle adjustment screws were all stripped. I just put a new bridge assembly in there that I had on hand that I took out of another SE. Strung it up, polished the nut, set it up and intonated. It's got a nice chunky neck without the bend out at the nut like so many Squiers have. It's more like a Fender neck. It sounds and plays fantastic! It lives to be played more again!

20190210_121920.jpg 20190210_142254.jpg 20190210_154651.jpg 20190210_142544.jpg 20190210_142442.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That's what I'm lookin' for also.

Sweet !!!

jjudas and dbrian66 like this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Nice job. Don't you wonder what is going through people's heads when they do all those terrible things to a guitar.

fattboyzz, Caddy, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Great work! That looks really nice. I still don’t know why they put that red tort pickgaurd on those. Your new white one looks awesome.

Eddie and jjudas like this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I know. It's guitar abuse. Should be a crime !!!

6. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Sweet!!

Good thing about music, when it hits you ya feel no pain.

7. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Nice Save!

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Glad you saved this Strat .

You got her looking Good now !

9. crowtee

crowtee Squier Talker

Nov 29, 2018
    utah
    Nice work. I love my burst se

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Nut

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Very nice rescue!

11. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Nice! A ferrel Strat now going to dinner at a five star restaurant!
    Excellent work and thanks for sharing all the detail.

12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    HRSGD! Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nice recovery.

To @Eddie and @dbrian66 , I happen to like torty pickguards on a sunburst. :)

13. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I don’t mind the brown tort, just the red doesn’t match in my brain. I put the red tort on a white Strat and that looks pretty good. That’s one of the things I like most about the Strat, they are so easy to make them exactly how you like them.

jjudas likes this.
  14. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    @jefffam likes tourt on everything lol. Hates the maple too. Oh btw the very first strat and first tele both were maple fretboards.....

jefffam likes this.
  15. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I know. Leo was a visionary entrepreneur. He was not a guitar player. He set out to make a guitar to appeal to the widest audience of potential customers. He, like many businessmen set out to market a product with the least possible cost, and the highest profit margin. That's why he primarily used the local labor force. Rosewood cost money. Maple was far cheaper. It was the cheapest material for a fretboard he could get away with. Believe me, if he could have used white pine, he would have. He actually did use pine for the bodies of early model esquires, and nocasters.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    rorygman and ElRey67 like this.