Squier PS-51

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by MrYeats, Sep 9, 2019.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Went a pwn shoppin today and ran across this strange little fellow.. It followed me home, what could I do?

ps1.png
    This description is for the FENDER PS 51, not the Squier model.
    Description:
    The new Pawn Shop Series guitars draw inspiration from the eccentric and sometimes wildly innovative Fender creations of the mid-'60s and mid-´70s era that sometimes found their way to the outside world and into the more esoteric pages of Fender history.

With this adventurous spirit in mind, Pawn Shop Series instruments emerge as all-new Fender guitars with a boldly creative alchemy of diverse Fender components.

And while they are brand-new members of the Fender family crafted with thoroughly modern sound and quality, Pawn Shop Series instruments now take the stage with a remarkable new identity as "guitars that never were but should have been."The Pawn Shop Fender ´51 has a Stratocaster body and a "C"-shaped Telecaster neck, with a single-coil Texas Special neck pickup, Fender Enforcer humbucking bridge pickup and a dual-knob chrome control plate.

Other features include a maple fretboard with modern 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets, master volume control with push-pull coil split, three-position rotary pickup selector knob, ´70s-style hard-tail Stratocaster bridge, vintage-style tuners and strap buttons, and deluxe gig bag.
    Features:
    Telecaster Neck, Hardtail Bridge, HS Pickup Configuration, 3-Postion Rotary Pickup Selector Switch, 2-Knob Chrome Control Plate
    Finish:
    -
    Case:
    Deluxe Gig Bag
    Additional Information:
    9.5" (24.1 cm) (fretboard radius), Chrome (hardware), Maple (neck material), 4-Bolt (neck plate), C Shape (neck shape), H/S (pickup configuration), Synthetic Bone (string nut), Fender USA Super 250L, NPS (.009-.042 Gauges) (strings)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Knowing you buddy, you got a heck of a deal. These are trending used in the $200-250 range now, more than they were new....

3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Did you get a Squier 51, or a Fender pawnshop 51? They’re different guitars. Basically the same, but different.

4. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Fender

AMENDMENT #1; Squier

Kenneth Mountain and -r3- like this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Confused because your title mentions 'Squier'

It's not a Squier branded guitar? It's a Fender Made in Japan????? show us pics those are worth 500-700!! Possibly more!

There's 2 guitars....the Squier 51 (with no pawn shop mention in the model name), made in Indonesia and China from 2004 to 2006 and 2011 to 2015-ish....

There's also the Fender Japan Pawn Shop 51 which was a high end guitar.....

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and -r3- like this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    It has Squier on the neck..What's that all about ??? I don't understand the switching..Is it on one those those knobs ???

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Rotary 3 way switch for pickup selection, and a push-pull volume pot to coil split the humbucker. No tone knob.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    One knob is volume, the other is a 3 way pickup selector switch. They also have a coil tap/split (not sure which one) on the volume knob (push/pull)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    It is my bad, I was trying to remember and that is not my strong suit. It is a stock photo and I have only just now taken the pix of mine...Hold the horses.

PS11.jpg
    PS 10.jpg
    PS1.jpg
    PS 9.jpg

10. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
  11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    OK thanks for the response friends..

12. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    2004 to 2008 Squier '51. First version so topload bridge (later was string through body) Not pawn shop. Nice! The back of the headstock pic is from a different guitar

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  13. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    That's a nice find. Last time I saw one it was $10, after a cleaning and a string change I flipped it for $150, but I think he offered $175. It had a good size chunk out of the finish too. Really cool oddball guitars.

MrYeats and Guitarmageddon like this.
  14. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Those were super popular mod platforms back at one point. After they were dropped from production a lot of places clearanced them out at $99. But they got scarce at some point and prices went back up.

There was a dedicated squier '51 mod forum that was pretty busy back in the day.

MrYeats and drewcp like this.
  15. There was an early Squier 51 (2005) for sale for the longest time. Looked pretty decent but I'm just not into 'em.
    Appears sold now so I don't have to think it over anymore.
    Whatcha gonna do with this one @MrYeats ?

Cheers, Barrie.

MrYeats and drewcp like this.
  16. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Like most, I am gonna rip its guts out and revasculize it to the abnormal.

Las Palmas Norte and drewcp like this.
  17. pfapin

pfapin Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    the ILL side
    What do you plan on doing with the pickups?

MrYeats likes this.
  18. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Well, I just pulled them out and they are cheap ceramics. I have not decided yet but they will be something alnico all the way. Probably A3.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    MrYeats likes this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    The 51 can be a very enjoyable guitar to play. If it didn't only come with a maple fretboard, I'd still have mine. My son has it now (very modified).

I'm planning a '55 out of one of my black NC's. Low output neck Liverpool Retrotron in the bridge paired with a low output lipstick in the neck. But it will be a full thickness body, the basic Strat plastic config (too hard to cover a Strat route) and GLORIOUS ROSEWOOD for the neck with a reshaped Tele-ish style NC/YN neck. (I bought it that way, with this purpose in mind). I lose the lightness of the thinner body but make up for it with GLORIOUS ROSEWOOD.

MrYeats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice