Squier Origins Question?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by grayn, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Heh, no it is a great question and I think your initial impressions were pretty good. Thing with Squier, there is no universal negative or positive. there is also like early Korean vs. Later Korean and the mud in the middle.
    Also what manufacturing company made the guitar in a given country.
    SE's are a good example. In my opinion AXL makes the good one, and that is NOT saying the other is like horrible or anything.

Another example are my Bullet Specials, both Indonesian. One Samick one Cort. The Cort is in my opinion a better made unit, thicker body, skunk stripe and truss surround, better humbucker. That IS NOT saying Samick doesn't build other good guitars because they make some dammed good ones. I enjoy my modded Samick Bullet Special, also own and have owned other Samick Strats and bass guitars.

For me it is all about the bones, but at the vary least the neck. Every country out there is capable of making good quality instruments and often do, they do not always though. Remember these are contract built.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    That's pretty much it, then add in the skilled labor spectrum. No guitar is without some handwork--the daily quota is the bottom line. I know this is a Squier based thread, but China and Korea make for some fine guitars in the Gretsch realm.

3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My D'Angelico was made in Korea. It is simply the most gorgeously built guitar I have ever owned.

The "where" means less and less IMO. It really depends on the standards the maker chooses to apply to any given set of guitars.

Good workmanship and high-level materials costs money. Less good costs less money.

But where a given maker's scale lies is country dependent. Labor costs. Mandates that pay for other than the instrument. Taxes that must be incorporated into the price. These all significantly effect final selling price.

-don

DAngelico 3-4 Body.jpg

4. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-Nut

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    That's very pretty Don…

My own experience is that country of manufacture and even line matter little. You either like a guitar or not on a personal level for it's feel. That's really just neck and body, anything else can be changed. I love my Indonesian VM but do I love it more than my Chinese Afffinity with similar hardware mods….? No. Cerrtainly the VM is built with more finesse but the Affinity then shines with its more earthy vibe.. Very different guitars but then that's a good thing.

willhowl and duceditor like this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    My Indonesians are far superior to my 95 Korean, pickups especially.

I chose my Indonesian Custom over a Chinese Fender branded Modern player.

I use to own a MIJ Fender branded guitar, and it was just as nice as some MIA, but a few components felt cheaper.

It's hard to find junk nowadays.

6. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    It's a good question but Jeff hits it on the nail, it's not really the country of manufacture but moreover what Fender was allowing Squier to be during certain time periods. MIK is a great example. Some of the very best and very worst Squiers came from Korea. For the most part, it was the same companies producing the Squiers but FMIC attempted to cheapen the brand to whatever they could get away with, when competitors started cutting into the budget market, FMIC upped the quality. The first and last MIKs are some of the better Squiers ever built. The ones in between are some of the worst.

Also, don't forget India. Those are some hidden gem Squiers.

jimbojo likes this.
  7. grayn

grayn Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2017
    Lancashire, England
    I'm very much a believer in what feels right for you, at the time.
    One's personal experience can often cause you to jump to assumptions though.
    I've never owned a dodgy guitar from Indonesia, whether it was Fender , Squier or even a Faith acoustic.
    So I tend to look at Indonesian guitars favourably.
    There's probably a few of you out there who have a very opposing views, due to bad experiences.
    I guess it's what makes it all so much fun.

BTW, lovely D Angelico, Don.

willhowl and duceditor like this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Acidhouse is very correct in Squiers of different year spans are very different. I don't dislike Indonesian Squiers, I have three, used to be four but I gave one to my son. The Tele Std and the Jaguar VM SS Special Bass are superb. The Strats, are OK, nothing wrong with the manufacture, they are just different than my preferred.

The 'NC' and YN' guitars from roughly 92-97 into '98/'99/'00 are very different animals than any other Squire. They are full size bodies (all models, standard {unmarked}, Affinity & 'Bullet Series') with decent if not better than average ceramic pickups and a great, no skunk stripe, wide neck (43.2mm, at the nut, all of them) and a very flat radius. I am not familiar nor have I seen any other Squier Stratocasters exactly like them. Maybe someone like Rocco would have more information but they are to the best of my knowledge unique. I have also never seen an 'NC' or 'YN' from 1995. Models from'98, '99 & 00's seem to be hit or miss, transition years going to the more familiar Affinity, Bullet and Standard. You can still find some full size gems like the earlier models, but not every one qualifies.

Acidhouse likes this.
  9. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    I'd put the Korean made Squier Stagemaster Deluxe neck-through at the top of the list. Next would be the scarce USA made models.

10. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    It's a fair question and the responses aren't set in stone (except maybe the early mij squiers). A lot of people love the affinity. I personally do not just because of the nut width. Having a thinner body thickness wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me and if it was alder that would have been a bonus. I bought a strat se in great condition for a reasonable price. The nut width I was comfortable with. To be able to swap and drop in mim sized tremolos are a bonus. Some love the stock bullet pickups, the ones in my se are ok, would like to get more out of them so I have bought full sized alpha pots and have some capacitors to see what can be done.

I think in trying to rank squiers, people are still just sharing what they like and prefer, at least in this forum. I haven't seen the mentality my guitar is better than your guitar. The whole squier series is appreciated here, and that's why this is such great place.

AngelDeVille and duceditor like this.
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Acidhouse is very correct in Squiers of different year spans are very different. I don't dislike Indonesian Squiers, I have three, used to be four but gave one to my son. The Tele and The Jaguar SS Special Bass are superb. The Strats, are OK, nothing wrong with the manufacture, they are just different than my preferred.

The 'NC' and YN' guitars from roughly 92-97 into '98/'99/'00 are very different animals than any other Squire. They are full size bodies (all models, standard {unmarked}, Affinity & 'Bullet Series') with decent if not better than average ceramic pickups and a great neck, no skunk stripe, wide (43.2mm at the nut, all of them) and a very flat radius. I am not familiar nor have I seen any other Squier Stratocasters exactly like them. Maybe someone like Rocco or equally knowledgeable would have more information but they are to the best of my knowledge unique. I have also never seen an 'NC' or 'YN' from 1995. Models from '98, '99 & 00's seem to be hit or miss, transition years moving to the more familiar Affinity, Bullet and Standards. You can still snag a full size, if your eyes are sharp in shopping.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  12. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    I think the OP question was a reasonable one, considering this is technically a gear forum as apposed to a music or musician's forum. Sometimes things can get a little pedantic or materialistic on some forums, but ST seems pretty good overall.

13. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Right on, Davis Sharp.....Pass me over that T-Bird!!!!!....grayn, part of the fun of Squier is the nit-picking....Yeah some people like some "Country of Origin" Squiers better than others.....And Somebody else will NOT......

All Fenders are not great......All Gibsons....are not great......Every Squier I've ever had my hands on, was well worth the money that it Did cost, or would have cost me...I think by now, if there have been a consistent response against....One of the many source countries involved.....I have not seen this........

Some are better than others......it's an individual thing, makes it hard to buy one sight unseen, no hands-on....like online......Same-Same, F And G, and any thing else..........

I'm ready for some more of that Mad Dog 20/20, now...thank you...

...Robb....We Gonna Miss You.......Don't Go Away!!!!.........Please???.....willhowl

Davis Sharp and jefffam like this.