Squier , of course.

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by nitro, May 17, 2017.

1. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey guys, just curious as to whether or not any of you know if Squier ever made and sold any 12 string acoustic models. I've repaired a couple in the past for friends but have never owned one . So that's my next intended target. I played around on a couple a while back, a Martin and a Taylor, both very nice examples, at GC and really love the sound.

Again I'm just curious

Kenneth Mountain and ElRey67 like this.
  2. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Wow twelve hours and not one post about my question about twelve string guitar. Shoot, by now Ida thought Ida had at least twelve replies.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I don't think there has been a Squier 12 string acoustic and the only Squier acoustic guitar I've played was average at best.
    The Squier Venus 12 string electric is a good one though.
    For an affordable acoustic twelver, take a look at Epiphone, Ibanez and Yamaha's offerings.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Kenneth Mountain, Caddy and nitro like this.
  4. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey thanks Pat,That's the type of info I was looking for . I didn't think that they did make one , but wasn't sure about it.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I have played mostly acoustic during my 60 years of playing. Have a Sigma Martin (Martin's old import line) 12 string I got nearly 30 years ago. They were shipped from overseas to the Martin factory in Pennsylvania where they were inspected and setup.

Last summer I bought a new Yamaha FG820S -12 twelve string that sounds great, far better than the old one, which is also a nice guitar.

nitro, Kenneth Mountain and Pat V. like this.
  6. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey thanks caddy, yeah there's a few 12's currently on my local CL and OfferUp and the like. But I'm turning the big 50 this year in November and For once I'm gonna do something nice for me.

And I've decided it's gonna be a real, nice guitar. There's just so many different ones that I'd love to have. Don't get me wrong , I love the cheap ones , but as I'd said , 50 is a pretty significant mile marker for someone like me. I've always sacrificed the things I've really wanted and put aside my own needs for those I care for , family means everything to me.

The closest I've came to getting what I wanted, for me could only happen when and if it took nothing away from my family.

And now it's my turn

7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    That changes things a bit.... I'd recommend trying a Taylor twelve string. Every one I've played was an excellent guitar.

nitro, Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Understand that! You are the age of my kids.

nitro and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
  10. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Haha, well maybe. I guess Kip and Buffy will have to go without there matching Leer jets for their birthdays.... lmfao

Nope, believe I'll have to pass on that one. Besides my black n pearl SE looks much nicer. Lol

I'm sort of strat poor at the moment , got 4 of them. Still have my tele"chewy" in the redo process. Sometime this coming week I'll be getting a show master rally HH from a member. I doubt it's gonna stop at that. Oh yeah and two six string acoustic/electrics. Lookin for the right bass. And my fav is an Ibanez ART100 that I picked up about a month ago. The only LP style guitar I've personally ever liked.

So yeah, And I still need to learn how to play somewhere along the way, haha.

I did play a couple of twelves at GC last weekend, a nice Taylor and a real nice Martin that felt really good to me. Both in the $700 range . That's about where I'll be when the time comes. I ain't got Jimmi $$$ .

I appreciate the advice fellas . By the way, do any of you have any experience with Guild twelve strings???

Kenneth Mountain and DaveDrums like this.
  11. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
  12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Before you buy one - compare it to a Yamaha in the same price range - Guild USA - ANY ! ! !

Alvarez , Takemine - the older ones are better - I like the super cheap Jasmine line - with the satin finish - great cheap acoustics !

Epiphone , Ibanez, Fender, Squier - hit and miss - but there are some nice ones. Lately I have played a nice Dean ........ ? It's what you like ! all that matters !

Play a bunch and narrow it down !

edit - I played a Artcore relic Ibanez I really liked lately also ! so many choices - best of Luck !

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    nitro, Bailey1214 and DaveDrums like this.
  13. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
  14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    In answer to you question: Back in the day (70's), Guild was the stuff. I knew several players who referred them to Gibson's. Later guilds & 'Fender' Guilds, I don't know.

15. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Oct 19, 2010
    seattle,WA
    If you can find one...
    A Haruo 12 string is quite possibly the best 12er I've ever owned. They came in a bunch of different models, from a T-20/12 to the T-100, which I what I scored last year. Immaculately made, and all mad

nitro likes this.
  16. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Oct 19, 2010
    seattle,WA
    Oops...
    All made in the 1970's...
    Some from Macassar ebony, most with Indian rosewood.. try one if you can, you'll be very happy you did. :)

nitro likes this.
  17. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Well thanks everyone, real good feedback and input for a simple question. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that loves that twelve string sound. I guess I'm mainly concerned with build quality. There's a lot of tension involved when you double up on the string count. And I've looked at more than a few that had almost as much of a belly as me. lol. Also finding one with a descent neck is proving to be a bit of a pain.

Being blessed with thick square palms and short fat fingers means I can't get into most of the ones I look at. But, the search continues and I've still got plenty of time to find something that fits me that I can love for a long time to come.

Thanks again guy's. Always appreciate the help and info...

18. szombat62

szombat62 Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    Re brands for 12 string I would recommend checking out Ibanez. I have an old Concord that I got back in the early 80's and it plays as sweet as you like. If I needed a new one I'd start there!

nitro likes this.
  19. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    I've never used one, but have been eyeing them toward an eventual 12-string buy. It might be worth checking out.

On 12-strimgs, if you can find a vintage Alvarez with no to minimal belly warp, Alvarez makes great, sturdy guitars, with great sound. The older the better the sound gets even, with ply-tops, i.e. the RD8 and more vintage the 5064, in 6 strings. I think the RD8 has a 12-string model. I'm not sure of the vintage 12-string, maybe 5054 or something close.

nitro and hunter rose IV like this.