Squier Neck Question

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by JK202, Feb 13, 2019.

1. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA
    Hey Everyone,

Two months ago I got my 2005 Affinity Strat and two weeks ago I got my 2018 Bullet Tele. I thought I would love the Strat (I also have an 2005 '51) but the neck is too narrow for me at 40mm below the nut. The Tele is 42mm and I just love the feel of it (polished the frets).

I imagine it might be a simple job to replace the Strat's neck or am I missing something that I don't know?

Scanning with Google reveals some very pricey necks - more than I paid for the guitar itself!

Where might I pick up a 42mm neck like my Tele or do I need to get a cheap Tele guitar and cannibalize it?

Thanks!

JK

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Sell the Affinity, buy another Squier Strat with a 42mm width nut....the Affinity to me has a garbage neck I can't play for that very reason. That is the best and most economical way to go about it.

No point in buying a neck for like $100-150 and then risking the chance it won't even fit, or that it has unlevel frets, a truss rod issue, etc....

3. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    First off there is no such thing as a cheap tele..:(...The HH bullets are normally 90 to 150 used. Market and Availability.. other than random place's like CL...anywhere you fine a Used squier tele for sale it won't last long...like this one over priced it been up for awhile.... https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/Telecaster-HH-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-114982710.gc
    there's on in NY GC they want 199 !!!!
    But tele necks don't fit on strats...keep a look out for squier standard necks on ebay....I personally dont like the price they want for used necks...if you wait the whole guitar will be cheaper....

dbrian66, JK202, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    great advice !!!! But i did buy a standard from GC with a crap neck, popin' frets and frets that were pushing out the rosewood, got a great deal on E-bay.won it .$70 Shipped.perfect neck ! ..Now I'm going to learn refretting....!!!

dbrian66, Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Sell or trade the affinity for a SE or NC - both have great necks !

dbrian66, JK202 and jjudas like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Here's a neck for ya :)

Rosewood

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/bullet-strat-neck-tuners-60-shipped.152312/

Maple

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/fender-starcaster-strat-maple-cxs-neck-60-shipped.151893/

JK202 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    fattboyzz and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    That’s why I stay away from Affinity’s. Don’t care for the thin body or narrow nuts. I like SE and Starcaster.

Uncle_B, Kenneth Mountain and jjudas like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

It's not the 41 vs 42mm ... it's the method of the carving on the back of the neck. If the carve starts from the front edge of the fretboard, so the fretboard has nearly a knife edge, most of the shoulders on the back are removed and the circumference is dramatically reduced. They do this on Squier Strats to 'help the kids learn to play', but they should really make two sets of necks. The chunkier feeling ones have flats on the sides of the fretboard where the carve starts behind the fretboard glue line. There is more wood back there and a larger circumference.

Sometimes, if there is a picture of the back of the neck, you can see fretboard on both sides and know it's the narrow carve. If you only see fretboard on one side or neither (if square on picture) then you know it will be the more chunky neck carve.

I stick to the Starcasters and even non-Squier that do a better job copying MIM/MIA. I kind of gave up on Squier Strats because of the too thin necks. Some Squier Teles have the thin carve like the Squier Strats and some the chunkier carve. Not identified and price point doesn't matter. I have an Affinity Tele with a chunky neck and a Standard Squire Tele that has the thin Strat carve.

JK202 likes this.
  10. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA
    Thx KM.. I'm acronymically-challenged I guess SE is Special Edition but what's NC?

Cheers,

JK

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA

Thanks Jvin248, I learned something else :)

JK

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. Kenneth Mountain

@jefffam @Eddie - these guys know the fine points - it's a "series" of Squier's

13. Kenneth Mountain

14. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I have to say I love my Affinity Strat, great price and weight. and the 9.5 radius is fine.

fullsize.jpg backplate112577.jpg backfensqui4.jpg

alan s likes this.
  15. alan s

alan s Squier Talker

Jan 21, 2019
    Lincolnshire UK
    That is a lovely guitar Tex,welldone.

Interesting thread on neck widths,I have a recently upgraded an Affinity with a 40mm nut and thin body ,I really enjoy playing it now with the new Alnico pickups ,non staggered poles ! :)
    I also have several other guitars with wider 43mm necks (Ibanez SA 360 very thin neck) which is also very comfortable to play.
    But everyone to their own,whatever suits you best.

Alan

16. VMamp

VMamp Squier Talker

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I guess we all have our own preferences but I much prefer my 22fret 41mm neck on my 2000 Standard. I liked it so much that when a neck from the same year came up on EBAY I bought it.

The quality of the Maple is higher, getting on for 20years old, if it ain't twisted or bowing by now it never will, Rosewood fretboard with the pearl dot inlays and a great C profile beats my 42mm neck by a long way. Looking at the truss rod nut I get the impression that the truss rod itself may be more substantial.

17. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Its funny you just never know what you will get with a Squire, I purchased a COMPENSATED 1 5/8' BRASS NUT, made no adjustments just popped it right in, and I have a cheap affinity brassnutcompen.jpg

jjudas likes this.
  18. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Interesting thread.

I have a beautiful Indonesian Squier VM70 with 42mm nut and a really thin neck.

I have a simply incredibly beautiful MIJ Fender '72 Re-issue with 42mm nut and a nice chunky neck I love.

I also have a Squier MIC Affinity with 40.6mm replacement bone nut cut to v. slightly expand the string spacing and a nice chunky neck.

To me the Affinity is a close second to the MIJ.

19. daveydog

daveydog Squier Talker

Feb 15, 2019
    Washington state
  20. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

Amazon, The Locking tuners are Fender Built and the bridge is made of of several bridges put together so it would work. Also my saddles and a hybrid, they look like stamp metal but they are like a Telecaster and solid and have a string grove.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice