Squier Mini Strat

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by chemobrainkid, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chemobrainkid

chemobrainkid Squier-Meister

Sep 20, 2016
    Annexia
    Squier Mini Strat
    3/4-size Solidbody Electric Guitar
    22.75" scale length

If you have experience of the Squier Mini Strat please share your valued experience and knowledge ,
    are these anomalies just quirks that are build like pooh or will they actually hold together bringing the joys of short scale slide playing into my life.short scale and a set of 12's = magic formula.

In the past, I missed my chance to get the HELLO KITTY models, (one in pink and one in black) at "get these out of my store prices" I fancy that a hello kitty with a Dimarzio Invader pick up would be just the ticket for a stressed out high gain preamp with a crack of doom over drive pedal in front.
    :rolleyes: in either pink or black.

2. Squireitup

Squireitup Squier-Meister

May 8, 2016
    Berkshire county mass
    I'm not sure how to respond to this. I want a mini and a kitty.

?

3. oldtimer

oldtimer Squier-Nut

Jun 23, 2015
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    The Squier mini is every bit as well-built as its full size equivalent model. It just comes down to whether or not you like the short scale and can live with a single tone control working on all pickups.

I don't play slide, so I can't comment on its suitability for that.

4. chemobrainkid

Sep 20, 2016
    Annexia

5. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I bought 2 for my kids. As long as you make sure to tune them up 3 half steps to compensate for the short scale, tuning isn't a problem and they're great. I play them every now and then myself and I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship and sound that comes out of these "kid" guitars.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. oldtimer

oldtimer Squier-Nut

Jun 23, 2015
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    I didn't find it necessary to tune a mini higher with 10-46 strings for a reasonable tension.

If the kids' ears get used to the sound of a higher tuned guitar now, they might find it difficult to adapt when they graduate to an adult-sized guitar in normal tuning. Also, in the meantime they'll find it harder to emulate what they hear others play. I wouldn't advise it.

SquierTap likes this.
  7. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Oldtimer makes a good point.

8. chemobrainkid

Sep 20, 2016
    Annexia
    I play slide in open tunings E,D,G, I like a big fat string because of the way the sound so harmonically defined, (I dunno?)
    play off the neck eliminates so many tedious frustrating issues .
    I also play lap slide but I prefer to play standing, maybe it was several years of busking that influenced my preference.
    I'm gonna buy a set of 13's , a medium jazz set, I think. I'll experiment on one of my lap steel guitars first.

9. fett

fett Squier-holic

Jun 10, 2015
    Lynnwood, WA
    I love my Mini. They are fun to play. They can be modded. I bought one that had a Pup upgrade. I mean an UPGRADE. The previous owner installed 3 Seymour Duncan Duckbuckers. They sell new for around $85 each. I won!!! . Those pups can be easily installed in any Strat pick guard. God knows, I have more than enough full sized guitars. However, the Mini plays so well and sounds great, I think I will leave them there.

10. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Bought one for my son and he quickly outgrew it.. well he took over my VM70's Strat with the Rose set. :D

The mini is still here and I noodle on it when I'm watching TV. It's a decent instrument and most definitely not a toy.

11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I brought two for my kids: $65 and $30. They don't really play, but whatever. I don't play them.

12. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Nut

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Just picked this up.

Seems as well put together as a Bullet to me.

Sounds like a strat as well 20161119_100338.jpg

13. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I have a Squier "Mini player" with the built-in amp made in Indonesia that I
    take to the office on weekends and it's built like a tank with a 12" radius neck
    and a solid basswood body.
    I dont know if they're built like the Squier mini's but mine is near perfect Squier Mini Player.jpg

BlueSquirrel and Rat cam 68 like this.
  14. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

3 or 4 years ago my youngest nephew wanted to play guitar, problem was he was (and still is and probably will always be) small for his age. I mean really small, takes after his grandpa who was a little man. And he had little kid hands. His index finger barely reached across to the low E string so we went with the mini. I was surprised at how well it was made. The major issue this guitar had was the high E tuner and that may have been my nephew's fault and not the quality of the instrument. The boy was a walking demolition company.

Unfortunately he found wrassling to be more interesting than guitar playing. The lessons lasted maybe 4-5 months and you knew he wasn't practicing. Basically it was a reason to go to grandma's house, play guitar with Uncle Dan for a while and then watch WWE and eat ice cream. As far as i know, that guitar is probably still sitting in one of my gig bags and hasn't been touched in years.

Robb likes this.
  15. Bob123

Bob123 Squier Talker

Aug 13, 2019
    New Zealand
    Hi there, I've got a Squier Mini [PR755] exactly like your picture, well it is now, but not for much longer..
    It's getting a full sized scale neck upgrade, and I'm replacing the 1 watt amp [which is very tame] with the guts from an Orange Micro Crush 3W amp. [anything else requires major chopping about to fit] So it's some minor chopping about, and
    I know I should have taken photos but as it's halfway through, your pic can be the before.. and I'll post the after pic. [If I succeed that is].

Ponmusic and Robb like this.
  16. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    That's a cool idea/project ! Looking forward to seeing, maybe hearing the results.

Robb likes this.
  17. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have two Squier Minis. Picked one up for $50 used and the other yesterday for 40, though it’s missing a saddle. Good guitars, better than a lot of Bullets and Affinities imo, but not quite as nice as a Standard

18. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I like the necks so much I put them on a full sized Strat and Tele...

Brocephus likes this.
  19. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    A few years back, I rewired one of them with cloth wiring and new pots. It was a great little project. I ended up giving it to my nephew as a birthday gift.

Robb likes this.
  20. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia
    A buddy of mine got one as his kid's first guitar, just to see if he'd stick with it before buying him something better, but the kid quickly graduated to a full-sized unit, so he traded off it to me. I always thought they were kind of amusing and interesting, but was never really inclined to get one, i just got it because i figured I could sell it more easily than whatever i traded for it (I forget, maybe a cheap little fender amp?)
    Well, after I set it up and intonated it, it turned out to be a dynamite little player !!! I was amazed at what a cool little guitar that thing was!
    I was playing it so much, I was ignoring my "real" guitars, and when I would play one of them, it was like the planet's gravity level had doubled or something, LOL!! That's when I knew I couldn't keep playing it, and I sold it.

Robb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice