Squier guitars .......... did you know ?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Jan 8, 2019.

1. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    The $399 Squier has been hanging there for several years. He wont budge on it .

;):)I figure nobody ever learned to play on it , cause if they did it would be worthless :p:cool:

fadetoz, Davis Sharp and Triple Jim like this.
  2. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    I went in a pawn shop and was looking at there rack of guitars, most I never even heard of and then glanced behind the counter and there was a fender mim tele hanging, out of the way for anyone to look at.
    Seen the tag 699.00 so I did a double take while adjusting my glasses, yep 699.00 and it was abused, dirty, rusty strings, etc. The guy caught me looking and asked,"you want to look at a real fender" I said I just did about a hour ago at gc a 2016 mim tele for 299.00. Then he gave me the stink eye so I left.

Joe90, Las Palmas Norte and fattboyzz like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    He probably overpaid for it before he knew the truth about them.

4. I must be regressing then … that explains a lot. I better let the wife in on this. That way I can get a real guitars and be more mature.:D
    Cheers, Barrie.

fattboyzz likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Good story, the guy sure exaggerated a quite a bit but not totally wrong. Many are not aware of what I call Squier's upper end instruments.

I know earlier MIM Fender and Squier have pretty soft frets compared to Fender, which is just one in a long line of cost cutting measures that definitely effects longevity..
    I have a very light touch so other than buying guitars with fret wear or damage not a big problem for me. I like my Squiers just fine.
    Fender wants you to out grow your Squier and spend up, flat fact.

Hawk shop guys are always aggressively doing whatever benefits them most. Stretching the truth is one of the least sleazy.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  6. Come to think of it, I never see any higher end Squiers at the pawns I've visited. They're usually the entry level Bullets and Affinity models.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Taurus and fattboyzz like this.
  7. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    they get paid on commission,If they had under coating They would try and sell that to you also. any one need aluminum sideing.

fattboyzz likes this.
  8. squi guy

squi guy Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    North Canton,Ohio
    Always with the "pitch" these pawn, guitar guys, yeesh, the tiresome banter of the salesperson. Worse then a craigslist ad responder saying he's "good with the price and will have his shipping agent pick up the item" ...yawn.
    A person should play whatever they want that's comfortable to the hand and ear..... and have fun doing it.

fattboyzz likes this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I won't bemoan anyone selling their Squiers cheap because they want to upgrade. I wasn't a big fan of the thin bodied Affy or Bullet until I was told about the NC's. Then I became an addict.

I've also owned several CV's, VM's, Contemporaries, and SE's ... none really stuck. But I love the NC ... and that's what keeps me on this forum. :)

fattboyzz likes this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I see tons of old junky affinities around here . The SE's I've seen ain't much better ,or they want $100+ for them.

One shop I go in has SE's for $100 - $120 & Squier Standards fairly regular ,but he has them at around $150..

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  11. That is high priced, especially for junky to moderate condition.
    Cheers, Barrie.

fattboyzz likes this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I've went over it and over it, and I just honestly don't know... 3/4ths of me is just really, really ticked off at this crap... Cause we hear it everywhere... But what stops my rant dead in it's tracks is this; If these people weren't totally ignorant corksniffers, Squiers would cost as much as Fenders... If guitars were valued on quality, playability, and not the name on the headstock, we'd ALL be screwed... Lol... Rant avoided...

rorygman, Taurus, Joe90 and 5 others like this.
  13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    A pawnshop by me had a dirty Ernie Ball 7-string hanging and selling for $175. I tried it out but the sound was crackling. He gave it to me for $50. Took it home, turned out to be a failing solder on the output jack. I love pawnshops.

Joe90 and Eddie like this.
  14. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I just bought a 2016 Squier VM Jaguar from GC for $250.00. My last lesson, my teacher brought his reissue Fender American 65 Jag which I believe now retails for about $2200.00 and we compared. The only real difference is the American is made of Elder wood and my Squier is made from Bass wood. Aside from that his has a locking tremolo and a little better controls for the lead volume and tone. Obviously the neck uses the base adjustment for the truss rod and perhaps some things that we couldn't see right off.

The point is this: $250.00 for a VM Squier Jag in mint condition versus $2200.00 for a new American '65 reissue..... and people wonder why I buy Squier guitars.

Eddie and squi guy like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, as prices increase for higher end products, the return diminishes. The MIA is not 10 times better than the Squier. Though, I'd love to have a $2200 MIA Fender, it's just not feasible for me. My entire collection of 12 NC's with RRG's doesn't equate to a single MIA.

Though, I'd love to play out at least once (with high volume output) and see how my NC's hold up.

16. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Play what you can afford and be happy.

17. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Well, sorry for playing the devil's advocate, but... How many of you can confidently say to have (or have played) a bone stock Squier and claim its a great guitar as it is? I don't mean to say a great guitar for the price, but rather a great playing guitar with no need of replacing absolutely anything or doing any sort of servicing.

Even one of the top range Squiers such as a VM, CV or even the old Japanese models, which brand-new still cost some good money and perhaps even more than a second-hand Mexican made Fender, would only benefit from better pots and wiring, or a TUSQ or bone nut in the place of the plastic one, as I've attested to make a huge difference by myself, a couple of days ago.

Now you take a Bullet or an Affinity, great guitars out of the box, but everytime I consider getting one when they show up for cheap, I already take in account the work of setting it up, polishing the fret ends and some more or less mandatory upgrades. Even my SE which I like so much and play all the time required over 100 euros worth of upgrades in order to play nicely and sound good without an harsh tone and scratchy pots. Even the action out of the box was sky high, and I could only troubleshoot that issue fairly recently, after years of having it holding me back, because I was learning self-taught and don't have other musicians in the family, so I had no way to know that having the action of an electric guitar as high as on my classical wasn't how it should be.

Not to speak many people like me buy these with starter packs, which means coming with a crappy amp alongside it and, just like it happened to me, feeling discouraged by the family due to the horrible tone that such combo offers. In short, for someone who doesn't know yet how to set up a guitar, all these problems that instruments coming from factories with poor QC discourage the new player and may even make him feel like it's him/her to blame for poor technique. I see low-end Squiers like a second-hand abused car, someone who just wants to get from point A to point B and doesn't want to spend a lot of money will then get an unreliable car that soon becomes a PITA, but someone in the know may very well get all its possible issues sorted and have a real nice car for a bargain.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Taurus and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    It's ok by me if you play the DA .

Everybody has their opinion like the shop owner :0)

Taurus and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I should go check out some pawn shops in town. I haven't for years. I've always felt like they are shady b@$7@rds. It's kinda like CL where items are more expensive than they would be new. Kinda like a beatup used MIM Strat for $699

20. Well … ahem … I have such a beast or three. Lucky I guess perhaps, & only one of which I paid full retail for.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Taurus likes this.